C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new-age mod parts ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 04:37 PM
flynbulldog
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Default new-age mod parts ?

Am I the only one that thinks a lot of the parts available for today's cars are crap? I mean chicken-wire grills and sheet tin filler panels? The junk looks like it comes from a ranch supply store.

For years I built and entered muscles cars in local shows. Stuff like we see today would have been laughed right out the door. And why should we pay big bucks for a couple of dollars worth of home depot hardware?

I remember seeing a truck with a treadplate bumper in the mid 80's and thinking how cheap and junky it looked, now the stuff is everywhere and people think it's cool...

Why do we accept this junk?

Am I the only one?

Mike,
No, I'm not a grumpy old man!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:54 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

You are definately not alone
Old 02-06-2007, 04:56 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by flynbulldog
Am I the only one that thinks a lot of the parts available for today's cars are crap? I mean chicken-wire grills and sheet tin filler panels? The junk looks like it comes from a ranch supply store.

For years I built and entered muscles cars in local shows. Stuff like we see today would have been laughed right out the door. And why should we pay big bucks for a couple of dollars worth of home depot hardware?

I remember seeing a truck with a treadplate bumper in the mid 80's and thinking how cheap and junky it looked, now the stuff is everywhere and people think it's cool...

Why do we accept this junk?

Am I the only one?

Mike,
No, I'm not a grumpy old man!
... I bought a couple after market mods (not cheap either) that were pure crap! I didn't even bother putting them on the car. When you compare things like a good after market exhaust system like Corsa you are getting your money's worth. A lot of other stuff really is made very cheaply and cost big bucks. At least the items I got from Pipedreams look like they actually belong on my vette.........
Old 02-06-2007, 05:13 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default right you are but mods not the norm for most owners IMO

I agree with you 100%. I think forums like this one attract more people who like to mod their cars than in the general population of C6 owners. While it may be 50% or more here who mod to some degree I think it's very much lower overall....like maybe 10%.

I personally find some mods make sense in that they improve on corner cutting by the factory to save money OR poor design. Thus we have brake upgrades, tunnel plates for heat control, different mufflers etc.

However, many people seem to mod for the sake of it. They seem to compete with each other for the total number of mods AND sometimes it doesn't seem to matter what the mod is just so it's a mod.

I think all the screens, logos, phony badges, air brushed hood liners, flames on the fuel rail covers etc etc is all a bunch of tacky junk. Now, having said that let me say that if you like this stuff more power to you and it's just wonderful and lovely that you like it so much. Each to his own.

Can't we all just ge ge get along? However, I don't go to shows and don't try to make my C6 'appear' different than any other stock car. It's just about handling and performance and most of this stuff does nothing in those departments.

As some say when a new owner posts photos of his new car: 'Let the mods begin'. Yah, it's the first thing some people can think to do to a brand new vette.....start making it look like most Camaros and Mustangs. all IMO, save the flames, mod if you want just don't expect me to like it.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

At least most of the junk put on a C6 now-a-days is lightweight.

Everyone has different tastes and preferences (which is great) but I'm not much on appearance mods made solely for the sake of appearance. I prefer that form should follow function....and I like the form of the stock C6.

My one concession may be to have Paula put my avatar on a hood-liner (but for all practical purposes that won't be seen by anyone but me).

I know there are some 'creative' appearance modders in this forum (one in particular that comes-to-mind) but I think the majority would agree with you....most of the add-on appearance mods look pretty bad.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:45 PM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15. '22-'23

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I agree with you 100%. I think forums like this one attract more people who like to mod their cars than in the general population of C6 owners. While it may be 50% or more here who mod to some degree I think it's very much lower overall....like maybe 10%.

I personally find some mods make sense in that they improve on corner cutting by the factory to save money OR poor design. Thus we have brake upgrades, tunnel plates for heat control, different mufflers etc.

However, many people seem to mod for the sake of it. They seem to compete with each other for the total number of mods AND sometimes it doesn't seem to matter what the mod is just so it's a mod.

I think all the screens, logos, phony badges, air brushed hood liners, flames on the fuel rail covers etc etc is all a bunch of tacky junk. Now, having said that let me say that if you like this stuff more power to you and it's just wonderful and lovely that you like it so much. Each to his own.

Can't we all just ge ge get along? However, I don't go to shows and don't try to make my C6 'appear' different than any other stock car. It's just about handling and performance and most of this stuff does nothing in those departments.

As some say when a new owner posts photos of his new car: 'Let the mods begin'. Yah, it's the first thing some people can think to do to a brand new vette.....start making it look like most Camaros and Mustangs. all IMO, save the flames, mod if you want just don't expect me to like it.

Man I love your posts...always bring a smile to my face.

Let me check my inventory...

screens - check
airbrushed hood liner - nope, sorry it's embroidered
airbrushed flames on FRCs - Oh yeah baby

Danger of anyone mistaking your stock C6 for an unholy modded version - none.

All is well here.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:15 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,959 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Absolutely correct. I've seen some of your "chicken wire" stuff, tied on with Home Depot-type stuff and just wondered who would put that on their $50K Corvette? Apparently, lots of people.

I was just in an "auto aftermarket installer" store today. I saw stuff for trucks and imports, but it could just as well have been for Corvettes. Besides some of the real, quality stuff, of which there was only a little, there were more no-name tires, lights, speakers, boxes, switches, wires, neons, shift *****, wings, step covers, filters, etc.

And an occasional K&N, Eibach, American Racing wheel (altho I have to say they never were what I'd call high quality wheels, just real, "American" wheels ) just to make the place almost legit.

Oh well. Not only to each his/her own, but to each, their own dollars spent on ______ (fill in the blank).
Old 02-06-2007, 06:22 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Why is it that people that complain about anything always end the rant with "each to his own?" The people that truly live the "each to his own" motto also live by this one, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."
Old 02-06-2007, 07:16 PM
hayseed51
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bulldog Mike -

I'll always remember the Economics teacher way back when I was in high school. He would use the Latin quote (I forget the phrase now) that translates to "Let the buyer beware". There's been junky stuff available forever, but that old phrase has never been more pertinent than it is today.

I think the big difference is internet marketing. While any jerk with a digital camera and a few tools can go right into business (just don't step on GM's toes), you can't say it's all bad either. Just look at treasures like our own Pipedreams... or maybe the Crazy Cowboy. What's really changed is the way we have to due diligence on products we can't hold in our hands before buying.

This forum can be a valuable tool. Of course, people being what they are, you have to sift through quite a bit of "I got ---- and it's the best, and everything else is junk". Still, if your patient, there's a lot of well thought out advice to be had.

Most of the modest mods I have done have leaned toward performance, but I have done some appearance/convenience stuff too. I only have one set of side cove screens that I consider a bust. Yes, they're all more expensive than they need to be, but if you can't end up with quality that satisfies you, you don't have to buy it.

For me, it's important to get a vision of what I want and then largely stick with it. It's awfully easy to adopt someone else's vision, and once you start down that road, it may never end. I've only had the car for about 6 months, did a flurry of about 8-9k mods, but I'm very nearly done now. I'm looking forward to mostly gas and go for the next 5-6 years.

Mike, I agree that there's a lot of overpriced, trashy stuff out there. Personally, I think there are also some very cool items too, you just have to look harder and make sure it works for you. I suspect in 5-6 years, I'm going to be pretty pleased I forked out for the clear bra....

My 3 cents
Old 02-06-2007, 07:24 PM
c6 rocket
Drifting

Point well stated, I strongly agree.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:30 PM
PAVette
Melting Slicks

Old 02-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Sven
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Can't we all just get along?
where do I begin?
Old 02-06-2007, 08:49 PM
1bdasvt
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Please don't look at these pics!!{for Your own health!}
Attached Images   
Old 02-06-2007, 09:04 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by hayseed51
Hey Bulldog Mike -

I'll always remember the Economics teacher way back when I was in high school. He would use the Latin quote (I forget the phrase now) that translates to "Let the buyer beware".
"'Caveat Emptor"
Old 02-06-2007, 09:23 PM
flynbulldog
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Why is it that people that complain about anything always end the rant with "each to his own?" The people that truly live the "each to his own" motto also live by this one, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

There's nothing wrong with giving your opinion AND being open minded enough to accept others
Mike
Old 02-06-2007, 09:24 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree about the quality of some items, but more than that is the price being asked for some of these less than quality pieces. As an example; consider the fact that a set of stainless long tube headers for a mustang cost a third what they do for a C6, require the same amount of material and labor to assemble, they are of the same quality, and they can be purchased from just about all the manufacturers that produce headers for the C6. Go figure......
With that said, modding a car to make it your own and is something that has been around for a very long time, don't see it ending anytime soon. Some have become so good at this modding thing that they have customers on a back log waiting for the special mods they provide. Did you ever wonder how those folks started out and how they got to where they are today? The funny thing about car people is there are several types, but they all mod in one way or the other in an attempt to have something different than everyone else out there. Personally I enjoy seeing all the ideas and styles that people come up with because it is for sure a time tested automotive tradition.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 PM
ohfiver
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell
Absolutely correct. I've seen some of your "chicken wire" stuff, tied on with Home Depot-type stuff and just wondered who would put that on their $50K Corvette? Apparently, lots of people.

I was just in an "auto aftermarket installer" store today. I saw stuff for trucks and imports, but it could just as well have been for Corvettes. Besides some of the real, quality stuff, of which there was only a little, there were more no-name tires, lights, speakers, boxes, switches, wires, neons, shift *****, wings, step covers, filters, etc.

And an occasional K&N, Eibach, American Racing wheel (altho I have to say they never were what I'd call high quality wheels, just real, "American" wheels ) just to make the place almost legit.

Oh well. Not only to each his/her own, but to each, their own dollars spent on ______ (fill in the blank).
American Racing Wheels are made in Mexico. They moved about a year ago and laid off most of their employees.

Get notified of new replies

To new-age mod parts ?

Old 02-06-2007, 09:52 PM
BADC64GO
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey with all these bad products, its an opportunity for someone.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Do ya'll remember the MOD Squad TV show back in the seventies? What ever happened to those guys? and gal?: beatdeadhorse:
Old 02-06-2007, 11:43 PM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

In my opinion the word "mod" is used far too loosely nowadays. The items that most of you are referring to are accessories or visual enhancements, not mods. A mod is something that improves performance. Whether it be power, braking, handling, aerodynamics, or anything else that improves the way a car works/performs.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I do a little --> everytime I see a post about someone's "new mods" that consists of Lloyds floormats, chrome filler caps, and a damn cargo tray...

Quick Reply: new-age mod parts ?