C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why pick up trucks and ricers....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 03:16 AM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 75SHARK
It seems like the Mustang drivers that are the biggest idiots. I try not to make eye contact.
Mustangs are the other posers out there. Nothing worse than "Vette Envy"
Old 03-17-2007, 03:23 AM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I get that kind of stuff all the time as well from souped up Honda's and Toyota's. I just look over and give them a little grin and shake my head. Just sending the message that I have nothing to prove. Funny thing is guys in Mustangs seem to pretend they don't see me. I assume they are embarrassed and don't want to make eye contact.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Sven
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I pay these guys no attention. But what is nice to see are folks who enjoy cars and give you wave, thumb ... and even better, right-of-way as a sign of appreciation.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:17 AM
BADC64GO
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When your the badest in the Valley all the other animals will be at you!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:30 AM
shortski
Drifting

It seems like the Mustang drivers that are the biggest idiots. I try not to make eye contact.
I've been thinking of getting a vanity plate for My 05 C6 Vert

"PONYETR"

would that be considered challenging or provoking
Old 03-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Lightning Coyote
Melting Slicks

They are always there, but I just try to ignore them.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:05 AM
HOUTEX
Advanced

Default Drivers

i had a moron in a 4x4 wrecker "ford of course" want to race on the way home...also the soccermoms in minivans love to speed past and cut in front of me...
Old 03-17-2007, 10:19 AM
JDB2006BlkC6Z51
Pro

Originally Posted by Sven
I pay these guys no attention. But what is nice to see are folks who enjoy cars and give you wave, thumb ... and even better, right-of-way as a sign of appreciation.
and they seem surprised when you give them the right of way as well.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Astronomer
Pro

There is a local "hang out" for ricers and the youger crowd at a Taco Bell. When I pull up in the Vette to get dinner after work, All I get are compliments. Rowdy? - yes :-) but mostly pretty nice kids though. They have even asked this 50 year old to take a run with them in the mountains sometime. I am a bit old for that crowd, so I declined. Damn to be 30 years younger LOL!

They have pretty much as a whole treated me with respect.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Astronomer
Pro

Originally Posted by HOUTEX
also the soccermoms in minivans love to speed past and cut in front of me...
Gack! They are the worst. They tailgate me as well!!
Old 03-17-2007, 11:05 AM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."

I'd have to agree with that. I can count 2 incidences where a Mustang wanted to race in traffic. I'm not talking about a crowded highway. I"m talking bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic. They revved their engine, spun the tires, and zoomed off. Only to have to slam on the breaks 20 ft down the road. I just shake my head. What do they want, to see who can crash into the car in front of us faster? Morons!

This attitude comes in all forms though. Sometimes even other Corvettes....
Old 03-17-2007, 11:13 AM
UNKNOWN
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

flick the imaginary dust off your left shoulder with your right middle finger, drives them nuts!
Old 03-17-2007, 11:15 AM
BRIANSC6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The want to race becasue there is no down side for them.

If they loose well they lost to a Vett

If they win well it will be a story they will be telling their grandkids you can bet.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:49 AM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
"Why pick up trucks and ricers always want to race with the Vette?"

I'm not so sure about PU trucks but the 'ricers' are typically younger kids that spend a considerable amount of time and money modifying their car....they merely want to test their handiwork against a worthy opponent. You might even be surprised...there are a few ricers out there that can blow the doors off a stock C6.

They're not all dropouts and rednecks. Most of the ricers I've met are actually some pretty nice guys....into cars and doing the best they can with what they have to work with. I've seen a couple very 'high-end' ricer cars as well. I wouldn't necessarily do what many of them do to a car but I respect what they're doing.

I get challenged virtually every day...you just have to learn to live with it.
Originally Posted by kgelliott
You hit a nerve, 75SHARK with your Mustang comment. I recall my younger days when I was TOTALLY in awe of Corvettes and just knew they were supposed to be faster than anything. Back then I remember we always wanted to see what a hot car would do, so it was no big deal to try to get one to race. It wasn't a serious challenge. We just wanted to see what a Vette could do. Heck, I just wished I had something worthy of making a Vette driver think he needed to show me something.
Fast forward 35 years and I bought a Must GT and finally had something fun and hot. I knew it couldn't beat a Vette, but I sure would enjoy seeing the Vette go! Two years later, a C6 finally, for me.
Originally Posted by Astronomer
There is a local "hang out" for ricers and the younger crowd at a Taco Bell. When I pull up in the Vette to get dinner after work, All I get are compliments. Rowdy? - yes :-) but mostly pretty nice kids though. They have even asked this 50 year old to take a run with them in the mountains sometime. I am a bit old for that crowd, so I declined. Damn to be 30 years younger LOL!

They have pretty much as a whole treated me with respect.
Great comments. Good perspectives. Great experiences to share to help us keep an open mind. I could have been labeled a “ricer” myself once upon a time. I love ALL cars. Though I never challenged a vette, I had immense appreciation for them. Once a C5 revved beside me at the light while in the 350Z. As he slingshot ahead, I just smiled to myself. I knew not to bother, but it was nice to think he considered me even worthy to notice. I used to give vette drivers the thumbs up even back then. One C5 driver even waived back. Now with the C6, I still get along great with the “ricer” kids up the street with their WRX and Evo. As far as all being rednecks and high school drop outs, even when I drove an all-motor civic Si I was married with two kids, possessed an MA degree and worked in a position of authority. Sure there are plenty of "posers" out there, but there are a small percentage of well-built tuners. There may be stereotypes, some may be true, but not in all cases. I hate to here the stereotypes of vette owners.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:09 PM
IHTFP
Instructor

It is similiar to growing up as a tall and big guy. You are frequently challenged to fights by smaller guys. It is a no win situation for the tall and big guy. If you win, it was because you were supposed to win since you are bigger. If you lose, then you got your butt kicked by a smaller guy. And, there are some really tough small guys out there, so watch out.

Last edited by IHTFP; 03-17-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:36 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbeaux

I think it's the Bimmer drivers that are the biggest idiots and want to race... in the turns especially
I've had a few BMW's act like idiots at every signal until they realize I'm not going to race them.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Kerry G
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Wayne O
"Why pick up trucks and ricers always want to race with the Vette?"

I'm not so sure about PU trucks but the 'ricers' are typically younger kids that spend a considerable amount of time and money modifying their car....they merely want to test their handiwork against a worthy opponent. You might even be surprised...there are a few ricers out there that can blow the doors off a stock C6.

I get challenged virtually every day...you just have to learn to live with it.
Mine was built better than that.

Get notified of new replies

To Why pick up trucks and ricers....

Old 03-17-2007, 08:25 PM
red-y
Drifting

Street racing has changed since I was young. Today the younger generation wants to zoom in and out of traffic in a dangerous manner. I like to go when it is safe or at the drag strip. I know how fast my car is and know that others are faster. The fun of street racing is gone in my opinion and I seldom run for more than 60 feet. If I do not have them by then there is no sence in going 120mph.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:45 PM
onebadmofo
Racer

I don't have a Vette but i do have a Cobra replica car, every time i take my car out it does not matter how fast i am going 55 to 70 mph every piece of sh?t car wants to pass me or run up on me and ride me @ss. I JUST DON'T GET IT.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:00 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HOUTEX
i had a moron in a 4x4 wrecker "ford of course" want to race on the way home...also the soccermoms in minivans love to speed past and cut in front of me...
Well, you have to expect that when you drive 10 MPH below the speed limit in the left lane. Those folks don't want to race you, they just want you to get out of the way.

Quick Reply: Why pick up trucks and ricers....