C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apsis New Remodified Slimmer C6 Mud Flaps (Z06 Style), Welcome your comment

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:01 PM
excessive81
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

400.00 for mud flaps...come on! they better be REAL carbon fiber!!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:46 PM
VetteMark
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
If the material was that exotic it would have been called out already as a selling point. I can't believe material cost would be anywhere near $160/set, its probably pennies for the material. The only thing I don't agree with here is the 15% profit. For a custom manufacturer that isn't doing large quantity, profit needs to be a lot higher than that, I would expect 40% minimum.

How about this for an idea, they could start with a piece of 304 stainless steel - mill finish - stamped($3 for steel at most), and then mold the steel with an elastomer (buna would be fine) to conform the shape they want for the mudflaps. It would be basically indestructable from stone chips, and if the mold was designed properly you could have a nice smooth glossy finish. The piece would never rust and you could mount it from tabs that were part of the stainless. I know for a fact that this could be manufactured for around $25 a piece (because we have done similar size and shape for something else). There is more labor involved with a process like this, but it would make a bullet proof piece that wouldn't ever chip. Just throwing out an idea here from my background.
Get on board early and sell the heck out of them @ a good price point and you might see some decent #'s . . . even for a custom manufacturer! I was only guessing at the cost per pound and a lot of plastics are going anywhere from $4.00 to $18.00 per. Whqt wold you guess the weight to be for this app? I was guesing high for the sake of arguement. Further, if I were to make 40%, which you don't really need to, on top of the profit built into the press rate, I would really be gouging and the price would be unnecessarily high. Sure, 40% would be great but so would the nearly 75-100% that most retail outlets apply to product sold.

I DO like you idea of stamping and coating thou!!

. . . anyway, the product looks great! Just need to work the price a bit!!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:56 PM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by VetteMark
Get on board early and sell the heck out of them @ a good price point and you might see some decent #'s . . . even for a custom manufacturer! I was only guessing at the cost per pound and a lot of plastics are going anywhere from $4.00 to $18.00 per. Whqt wold you guess the weight to be for this app? I was guesing high for the sake of arguement. Further, if I were to make 40%, which you don't really need to, on top of the profit built into the press rate, I would really be gouging and the price would be unnecessarily high. Sure, 40% would be great but so would the nearly 75-100% that most retail outlets apply to product sold.

I DO like you idea of stamping and coating thou!!

. . . anyway, the product looks great! Just need to work the price a bit!!
Haha, would love to get into something like this, but I've already got enough on my plate with my existing manufacturing clients (not looking to get into the retail biz I would be surprised if the weight on 4 pieces exceeded a pound, thats why I was saying the material cost would be low. Re: profit, it depends if you are selling labor (press rate) or selling items. I normally look at a TMC and figure the profit from that, especialy on low quantity items like this. Imagine if it was farmed to China what the price would be...

They are nice looking, hopefully they adjust the price at some point.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:16 PM
apsisusa
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 621 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Picture for pass rear wheel

Here is a picture of the pass rear wheel.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:57 AM
vlocty
Advanced

Thank you for designing a nice looking front mud flap. Finally! I do agree though that the OEM Z06 rears are more apealing in price and the are actual GM parts. If that matters to anyone. $100 for the fronts and I would be interested. How does your finish match the OEM rears. I already have the OEM rears.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:48 AM
apsisusa

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by vlocty
Thank you for designing a nice looking front mud flap. Finally! I do agree though that the OEM Z06 rears are more apealing in price and the are actual GM parts. If that matters to anyone. $100 for the fronts and I would be interested. How does your finish match the OEM rears. I already have the OEM rears.
Thanks for your opinion.

The color of our mud flap does match to GM Z06's. The problem is we just cannot do at $100/pair.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:29 AM
Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

What kills me is everyone will pay more than 1000 dollars for a cat back exhaust that any other car can buy for 400 bucks.

Now, here's a clear difference in quality and people are arguing over a hundred bucks.

You have to pick your battles, when they can be won.

Simply, a Ferrari is always going to cost more than a Fiat.

And we all know what Fiat stands for... "Fix it again, Tony!"
Old 04-13-2007, 09:01 AM
HPVA
Racer

Originally Posted by 07MontyRed
They look much better now. Good job, and thanks for listening to the Forum members.

Still too expensive for my taste (I understand your needing to recoup your development expenses, but I need to retain my funds for more fun toys) so I'll modify the $50 GM parts ...
Old 04-13-2007, 11:03 AM
C6VetteRocks
Instructor

[QUOTE=Big Top Gt;1559801344]What kills me is everyone will pay more than 1000 dollars for a cat back exhaust that any other car can buy for 400 bucks.

Or for a rim, pair of tires, blower, shocks, etc. Just to be able have extra perfromance on a car that already does 185+ with 400+hp stock, and <>75% sit in traffic as a DD or inside as a GQ.

[QUOTE=Big Top Gt;1559801344]Now, here's a clear difference in quality and people are arguing over a hundred bucks.

Seems to happen alot for this vendor.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,258 Likes on 1,163 Posts

And as I said earlier, they are still way too big. I don't want people to say, wow look at those mud flaps going down the road.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:54 AM
apsisusa

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Close Shot Picture to Show How the Screws Installed

Some members want to see the front side of Front Mud Flap regarding how the screws will be installed. Here is the picture.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:31 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by apsisusa
Some members want to see the front side of Front Mud Flap regarding how the screws will be installed. Here is the picture.

I don't see any screws.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:50 AM
shortski
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
I don't see any screws.
I think he means they replace the factory two piece push pins.

The black things on the mat, this is from when I out in the front side screens.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:05 PM
apsisusa

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by shortski
I think he means they replace the factory two piece push pins.

The black things on the mat, this is from when I out in the front side screens.

Please note that we only focus on those 4 plastic screws that you see in our picture. Those 4 screws are located right under the lettering "Inner Fender" of your picture that have 4 arrows pointing to.

In our application, you don't have to remove the whole wheel well ling. All you have to do is to remove those 4 screws per showing in your picture and then mount our Mud Flap on reusing those 4 holes.

The plastic screws that we provide is not like the style of factory screws which have two components. Ours is just one pc with the X'mas tree shape thread so you just push it right through the existing holes.

If you still cannot understand me, then I will take a picture of our screw next week and post it.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:10 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

If you still cannot understand me, then I will take a picture of our screw next week and post it.
"Screw" denotes a fastener with a continuous spiral groove which is turned to loosen or tighten.

What you are describing is a barbed push fastener.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:02 PM
apsisusa

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
"Screw" denotes a fastener with a continuous spiral groove which is turned to loosen or tighten.

What you are describing is a barbed push fastener.
Thank you for correcting me. English is not my native language so I don't know the difference of "screws" & "fastener".

Sorry for the confusing.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:14 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Thank you for correcting me. English is not my native language so I don't know the difference of "screws" & "fastener".

Sorry for the confusing.
No problem!
No problemo!
Non ennuis!
Nein problem!
Ina mondai!

Get notified of new replies

To Apsis New Remodified Slimmer C6 Mud Flaps (Z06 Style), Welcome your comment

Old 04-15-2007, 12:21 AM
knkali
Melting Slicks

dont think its problemo its problema
Old 04-15-2007, 09:02 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Originally Posted by knkali
dont think its problemo its problema
Si!
Old 04-15-2007, 12:42 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Looks much better indeed. I'd love to see any photos of them on a black C6. I'm curious how well the black blends in with the paint. I'm sure you could put some dressing on them to darken/wetten their look as well.

Bug regardless, at $400 there's just no way I'm pulling the trigger.

$200-$225 and I'd probably be placing an order.

I think you guys should consider what this thread is telling you. You listened to the previous thread and redesigned your shape and it's gotten you great results.

I'd at is this way, you can sell those flaps for $400 to 2 people, or you can sell those flaps to 20 people for half the price. In the end it's the same issue everyone creating a product has. How to maximize output versus production costs. If you have to sell a product for a price that is considerably over the price that your customer is willing to spend, you need to figure out how to cut that cost, without cutting quality in order to create a sucessfull product. Otherwise you are only going to sell a handful of your product to a few select few to whom price isn't an issue.

Either way, they look much better now and I hope you are able to continue to improve the process and perhaps lower your price at least $100. At that point I might considering pulling the trigger. Until then, I'll stick with my current flaps that cost a fraction of the price of yours, and do essentially the same job.

Quick Reply: Apsis New Remodified Slimmer C6 Mud Flaps (Z06 Style), Welcome your comment