C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apsis New Remodified Slimmer C6 Mud Flaps (Z06 Style), Welcome your comment

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Pontiaker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I've done the ZO6 modification on the rear and like them a lot but even they are too wide. Your efforts to slim them down are what's needed. If I could design the perfect rear guard it would be slimmier than the ZO6 guard at it's mid point. I'd shave off 7/16 of an inch. And the front ones should be slimmer yet.

Even your slimmer design is too wide. Splash guards should not draw attention to themselves. They should only be as large as needed to protect the fenders and should blend with the body. For the price you are asking, they should be perfect with no compromises.
I dissagree, I love the way they look on the back of my black car, I dont think they are too big at all.To each his own
Old 04-10-2007, 04:34 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by apsisusa
Thanks for your honest opinion. We are in business for 20 years and I think we know the common sense of price point. For 20 years we see companies come and go but at least we are still here today to develop new products for Corvette community.

Most of CF members are expecting us selling at the prices that we will lose money. We like to serve the community but we also need to make some profit to survive. Our products are always unique but not for everybody and we think thanks to this strategy we are still alive today.

So we hope sometimes you should see things from the other spectrum.
Take this for what it is worth. A great many companies today flounder because they keep trying to sell what they want to sell, the way they want to sell it rather than sell the product the customer is calling for. As you can see here, a great many would buy a 4 piece set for 200 if it looked like what you have presented here. Rather than argue why you cannot do that, I'd suggest to you to work on finding a way that you can. Giving the customer what HE wants as opposed to what you want him to want is the key to success. Best of luck.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Sven
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Nice change to the design, based on feedback here!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:25 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Originally Posted by webdzynes
Take this for what it is worth. A great many companies today flounder because they keep trying to sell what they want to sell, the way they want to sell it rather than sell the product the customer is calling for. As you can see here, a great many would buy a 4 piece set for 200 if it looked like what you have presented here. Rather than argue why you cannot do that, I'd suggest to you to work on finding a way that you can. Giving the customer what HE wants as opposed to what you want him to want is the key to success. Best of luck.

A very "Japanese" proposition !!!
If you give the people what they want, success is assured...
Old 04-10-2007, 05:33 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Sill only worth about 50 bucks a wheel to me- max. But they do look better now.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:43 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$200 front and back with the new design-sold
$250 front and back--sold but with some hesitation
$300 front and back--wait for a while
+$300 nope

Like the new design BTW
Old 04-10-2007, 07:03 PM
C6Rocks!
Instructor

VERY well said - but then again, you are a marketing expert!

I would buy these at 200 (set of 4). I would NOT buy them at 200+. What it costs you to make them or how much profit you make is of no interest to me. Its only about what they are worth (to me) and more than 200, they simply are not something I'm going to buy. Dont take it personally. Others may pay what you want to charge.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:23 AM
CorvetteRL
Lifetime Vette Lover
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

If the total set was under $200... I'm in
Just let me know
Old 04-11-2007, 08:47 AM
robbiC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bobamick
No thank you...I prefer to invest in quality performance parts.

Bob Amick
AMEN BROTHER!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:54 AM
fright88
Safety Car

Do you have pictures of them from a little more distance on the car? Also are on line install directions available? How much if any cutting or drilling is required?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:57 AM
apsisusa
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 611 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by C6Rocks!
VERY well said - but then again, you are a marketing expert!

I would buy these at 200 (set of 4). I would NOT buy them at 200+. What it costs you to make them or how much profit you make is of no interest to me. Its only about what they are worth (to me) and more than 200, they simply are not something I'm going to buy. Dont take it personally. Others may pay what you want to charge.
Thanks for your comment.

It's impossible for us to do $200. You will probably have to wait for some other vendors to offer you the price you want.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:26 AM
robbiC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by apsisusa
Thanks for your honest opinion. We are in business for 20 years and I think we know the common sense of price point. For 20 years we see companies come and go but at least we are still here today to develop new products for Corvette community.

Most of CF members are expecting us selling at the prices that we will lose money. We like to serve the community but we also need to make some profit to survive. Our products are always unique but not for everybody and we think thanks to this strategy we are still alive today.

So we hope sometimes you should see things from the other spectrum.
What a boatload of shat! You kill me, constantly saying how your product is better than anything else out there, or how long it takes to make. Remember, I have some of your stuff and it's no better than the other vendor that I went with. The ONLY difference is price and honesty, they don't rip you off at either end of the transaction. And before you say something like "it couldn't look like the stuff I use" ( it is the same stuff in some cases ) I'll be at the B'Day Bash and you can see for yourself. Unique, yeah, you have the only set of flaps made for the C6? Whatever, you dishonest person !
Old 04-11-2007, 09:27 AM
VetteMark
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
I hate to jump in on the group opinion here, but my company manufactures parts that are much more complicated than this, in a lot of different materials (completely different industry). Given a few hours (at most) of 3-d Inventor work for my cad guy, we could have the molds generated and bang these out pretty easily. And no, I'm not looking to get into the vette parts fab business at all, I just know what it takes to manufacture items like this. I'm not sure what is taking so much time and cost for them to manufacture these parts, even on a limited production run. I would also look into a 3d printer (or use one of the services that has them), as you can fab one-offs instantly to see how they look, fit etc before committing to a full blown mold.

I hope they work out for you guys, I would consider them if the price dropped quite a bit.
Totally!!! I too have a company in the manufacturing sector and have built many mold over the years. Even if the tooling ran you 20K, and you conservatively estimate sale to be in the 20K sets over 2 years, your tooling costs only equate to $2/set for a ROI of 1 year! Assuming that the material can be injection molded . . . not knowing the mat'l at this point . . . you are looking at a probable cycle time of perhaps 1 to maybe 2 minutes tops per set @ $150 per hour( $5 bucks/set) and material cost . . . just guessing high as it probably is an exotic. . . of $160/set and Profit of 15% minimum has the price point of about $200.

I am referring to a set as a set of 4. Now I may have missed something here in my calculations, but I would think that if you could find a material for a much lower cost that has a durability factor somewhere between ABS and the exotic, the asked for price point should be easily attainable!

Just my $2 worth!!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:29 AM
VetteMark
Burning Brakes

completely!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:02 AM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 AM
knkali
Melting Slicks

Why dont you take orders for $200, hold the money for a month and see if you get enough orders to cover the costs. If not then refund the monies. It seems a lot of members would order at that price and it could possibly be a win win?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:53 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
People tend to jump on the critical bandwagon.

And, clearly, much of your market exists outside the membership of CF.

While at some point lowering the price will initiate greater sales volume and increased profits, the timing of any price change is between you and your accountant.

When one considers that people are willing to pay large sums for grille screens, ramps, license plate frames, etc. when similar items could be had for a small fraction of the cost, your pricing isn't any more out of line (if it is indeed out of line) than the manufacturers of those products.
This is well thought out, added to your prior post. And cthusker makes valid points as well.

I applaud the mfr. for changing the design re the comments of CF members . I don't know if it will fly (and buy) with CF members, but there may be a large audience out there willing to pay the price. APSIS will find that out by testing the market.

Good luck and thanks for trying.

Get notified of new replies

To Apsis New Remodified Slimmer C6 Mud Flaps (Z06 Style), Welcome your comment

Old 04-11-2007, 12:12 PM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by VetteMark
Totally!!! I too have a company in the manufacturing sector and have built many mold over the years. Even if the tooling ran you 20K, and you conservatively estimate sale to be in the 20K sets over 2 years, your tooling costs only equate to $2/set for a ROI of 1 year! Assuming that the material can be injection molded . . . not knowing the mat'l at this point . . . you are looking at a probable cycle time of perhaps 1 to maybe 2 minutes tops per set @ $150 per hour( $5 bucks/set) and material cost . . . just guessing high as it probably is an exotic. . . of $160/set and Profit of 15% minimum has the price point of about $200.

I am referring to a set as a set of 4. Now I may have missed something here in my calculations, but I would think that if you could find a material for a much lower cost that has a durability factor somewhere between ABS and the exotic, the asked for price point should be easily attainable!

Just my $2 worth!!
If the material was that exotic it would have been called out already as a selling point. I can't believe material cost would be anywhere near $160/set, its probably pennies for the material. The only thing I don't agree with here is the 15% profit. For a custom manufacturer that isn't doing large quantity, profit needs to be a lot higher than that, I would expect 40% minimum.

How about this for an idea, they could start with a piece of 304 stainless steel - mill finish - stamped($3 for steel at most), and then mold the steel with an elastomer (buna would be fine) to conform the shape they want for the mudflaps. It would be basically indestructable from stone chips, and if the mold was designed properly you could have a nice smooth glossy finish. The piece would never rust and you could mount it from tabs that were part of the stainless. I know for a fact that this could be manufactured for around $25 a piece (because we have done similar size and shape for something else). There is more labor involved with a process like this, but it would make a bullet proof piece that wouldn't ever chip. Just throwing out an idea here from my background.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:39 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MackIII
So now that you have shaved off more of the plastic has the price come down now
... inquiring minds want to know...

Update:

Price has come down; just not enough.

Back to waiting for $200 for a set of four..

Last edited by LJD51; 04-11-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:54 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Nice !!!!

Quick Reply: Apsis New Remodified Slimmer C6 Mud Flaps (Z06 Style), Welcome your comment