C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There's a kit to add HUD to C6

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 05:31 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sven
I'll split the cost with the first person who installs it ($497.50) if this kit is complete and works.
my paypal is bpowellais@msn.com
Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 PM
azvetters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glennhl
We are going to Lowes down in Chandler this Friday evening (on AZ ave just south of the new High School), there is a local weekly car show there. Come on down and look for a Silver C6, I'd really like to see the HUD in action. I didn't want to spring for the 3LT with all the crap (heated seats, BLOWS radio, etc.) but I'd really like to have a HUD.
Glennhl, I'm in SunCityWest Saturday night I do Safeway @83Ave N of Bell rd/Scottsdale Pavillions "McDonolds 101&Cave CreekRd..
HUD is Full Functioning Gmeter & All..We can split this $497.50.
Red Vert 2lt lic# QQSEEYA/ PM let me now????
Old 05-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Clump
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MNVette
Again, why not just buy the 3LT car?
There are 2 things in the 3LT package that I would like to have: HUD and steering wheel mounted audio controls. That's it. Heated seats, power tilt/telescope wheel, Bose, auto-dim mirrors no thank you. If you want all that stuff good for you. I don't. If this works it's a great option for those of us who don't want all the 3LT stuff.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:31 AM
FireLikeIYA
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6400hp
MN Vette move along, like everyone here that has installed aftermarket radios have voided their warranty.

I should have all of the parts together for this install by the end of the week. So I am hoping tobe done with the install this weekend, at the latest by the middle of next week, I will report in full after install.

I'm very optimistic.
Don't mind the haters, they paid $5K for it, that is the reason they are hating.
I too only wanted the HUD from the 3lt package and decided to "settle" for the 2LT. I am very interested to see how it works out for you. GM must know that the main reason people go for the 3LT is the HUD. Did you know that the HUD is only a $395 option in the new Acadia?? Did you buy that guys kit on Ebay or do it yourself? Very interested in finding out. It should just be plug and play I imagine as it would be too much of a hassle and a little more costly for GM to do it anyother way.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:28 AM
Nukecop
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by vetter boy
Glennhl, I'm in SunCityWest Saturday night I do Safeway @83Ave N of Bell rd/Scottsdale Pavillions "McDonolds 101&Cave CreekRd..
HUD is Full Functioning Gmeter & All..We can split this $497.50.
Red Vert 2lt lic# QQSEEYA/ PM let me now????

i will be at the pavilions at 101/indian bend sat june 2, hope to see you there.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Hi All,

I've been looking at the C6 HUD parts for a little bit. For some time now you've only been able to order this from GM if you have a fire/theft of this part. The restriction will soon come off and I can certainly tell you that from me it will only be in the $350 to $400 range. I'm sure Josh Meeks, the one who supplies all of the C5 HUD kits, will work with me and get this setup. We just need a little bit more of time.

Thanks, Gene.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 05-26-2007, 11:17 AM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MNVette
You could have simply ordered a 3LT car with a host of additional stuff and gotten the HUD included. This is an old argument on the Forum, but it makes absolutely no sense to rip your dash apart to try to replicate what you could have gotten from the factory for not a lot more money (2% extra on purchase price?).
That argument makes perfect sense for people that are capable of time travel. Other than that...
Old 05-26-2007, 11:30 AM
JaminJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mpuzach
OK, I'll bite. What's a "2xl"?

I believe Vetter Boy meant 2Lt, he must be an OLD FORD boy that thought he was buying a base XL Ford.

The HUD install does work on the C-6.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:51 AM
kinyu
Instructor

The HUD was the only thing I wanted, but like others, I didn't want to pay for the other things (heated seats in Phoenix, HAH!)
This seems like a good option, and who cares if wires are spliced? Good luck installing practically any aftermarket part where you don't have some wire splicing.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:37 PM
DanielC4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Hi All,

I've been looking at the C6 HUD parts for a little bit. For some time now you've only been able to order this from GM if you have a fire/theft of this part. The restriction will soon come off and I can certainly tell you that from me it will only be in the $350 to $400 range. I'm sure Josh Meeks, the one who supplies all of the C5 HUD kits, will work with me and get this setup. We just need a little bit more of time.

Thanks, Gene.
Any idea of how long before the restriction will be lifted?
Old 05-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Gambok
Instructor

Here is my 2 cents.
I called the dealership that posts sometimes on here from the L.A. Area after they posted two months ago about installing a HUD in a new C6 base model.
They said in their posting they would let people know the outcome and what it would take and cost to do it.
So, he told me it took them days to do the wire harness ALONE as it had to be a COMPLETE harness for everything not just the HUD, and there was no way it would be cost effective to do so, so they were dropping the idea of offering this as a service to owners who wanted HUD. He said they thought they could but after actually doing it he would have to charge in the $3000-$4000 range.
The funny thing was when I first called he thought by making the harness he could just mass produce them and it would be a easy install, but after they did it he did'nt have the same tune anymore, so i'm weary of anyone who says it can be done in 3 hours!
Old 05-26-2007, 06:38 PM
JaminJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gambok
Here is my 2 cents.
I called the dealership that posts sometimes on here from the L.A. Area after they posted two months ago about installing a HUD in a new C6 base model.
They said in their posting they would let people know the outcome and what it would take and cost to do it.
So, he told me it took them days to do the wire harness ALONE as it had to be a COMPLETE harness for everything not just the HUD, and there was no way it would be cost effective to do so, so they were dropping the idea of offering this as a service to owners who wanted HUD. He said they thought they could but after actually doing it he would have to charge in the $3000-$4000 range.
The funny thing was when I first called he thought by making the harness he could just mass produce them and it would be a easy install, but after they did it he did'nt have the same tune anymore, so i'm weary of anyone who says it can be done in 3 hours!

You are paying the Dealer $85.00/Hour and up while they try and figure out what they are doing.

They are motivated to take the LABOR INTENSE way in regards to installing, a complete harness which adds numerous hours of labor which are not necessary.

Splice into the harness, secure properly..NO ISSUES, GOOD AS NEW AND SAVE 20+++ hours of labor.

Remember the STEALERSHIP makes there profit from LABOR...so of course they want to do the job the more difficult way.

Actually, they would more than likely splce the job in and then charge you for the harness install. How would you know?
Old 05-26-2007, 07:10 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

I can't see this being a 4 hour $1K job.....no way....
Old 05-26-2007, 11:37 PM
wratran
Burning Brakes

This thread is very interesting. It has a lot of potential. Someone is actually trying the installation. Please keep us posted with pictures. I definitely get this setup for $1k.

I think we should be supportive and not bash them too much.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Gambok
Instructor

Originally Posted by JaminJ

You are paying the Dealer $85.00/Hour and up while they try and figure out what they are doing.

They are motivated to take the LABOR INTENSE way in regards to installing, a complete harness which adds numerous hours of labor which are not necessary.

Splice into the harness, secure properly..NO ISSUES, GOOD AS NEW AND SAVE 20+++ hours of labor.

Remember the STEALERSHIP makes there profit from LABOR...so of course they want to do the job the more difficult way.

Actually, they would more than likely splce the job in and then charge you for the harness install. How would you know?
I would know one being they are a sponser of this forum and I would see my old harness out! but anyway believe me I would LOVE to have HUD and have tried to have it put in and so far have found it hard and expensive so if you kit works out Great!
So I look forward to the reviews and pics! There are few threads on this subject worth the read.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:49 AM
JaminJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gilly6993
I can't see this being a 4 hour $1K job.....no way....
I have seen it done on Vetter Boy's C-6, they added the HUD just in the past week. It works no different than the one in my 3LT..:
Old 05-27-2007, 10:53 AM
SPANKY LS1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will add this, I never had HUD in any of my previous cars, including my 2006 C6, never thought I needed it, thought it was "gimmicky". Now that I have it, I LOVE it, I hardly ever look a the gauges anymore, its such a nice feature, especialy during "spirited" driving, to not have to take your eyes off of the road is a HUGE factor (for me).

If it ends up being a "kit" that can be relatively added for a relatively low cost (~$1000 or so), I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Shawn

Get notified of new replies

To There's a kit to add HUD to C6

Old 05-27-2007, 11:00 AM
JaminJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wratran
This thread is very interesting. It has a lot of potential. Someone is actually trying the installation. Please keep us posted with pictures. I definitely get this setup for $1k.

I think we should be supportive and not bash them too much.
I agree. I have seen Vetter Boy's HUD and it works and funtions the same as my factory 3LT. His was installed in the past week with 3-4 hours labor and he said there have been several others done.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:19 PM
wratran
Burning Brakes

can someone post a detail write-up?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:00 AM
Gambok
Instructor

Quick Reply: There's a kit to add HUD to C6