C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There's a kit to add HUD to C6

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Clump
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There's a kit to add HUD to C6

There have been a lot of inquiries about adding HUD to C6. I'm interested too. My car is a 1LT and the only thing from the upper packages I really wanted was the HUD.

Anyway, I saw a kit on ebay:
It looks interesting and says it's complete for $995.

I'm not affiliated with this seller in any way. There has been a lot of interest and wanted to pass it along.

Waiting for somebody to take the plunge now.

Last edited by Grumpy; 05-28-2007 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Added disclaimer.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:15 AM
aliix
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The front windshield would have to be replaced as well for the image to display correctly.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:20 AM
cfi_luz
Drifting

You will not need to replace the windshield for the HUD to display properly. While it is true that HUD enabled cars have a special coating in that area, it is not necessary. Just as the C5's have added HUD's for years, I don't see the windshield display being a problem. Without the proper windshield it does look slightly dimmer, but nothing that would detract me from going this route if a person wanted to add HUD. Anxious to see if this pans out.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:11 PM
fright88
Safety Car

very interisting. I would contact the seller for more info first tho
Old 05-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Die2Win
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you did need to have a brighter HUD display after the install, just have a window tinter do a 75% silver tint in that area only. The 75% light transmission tint shouldn't cause any distractions.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:16 PM
keg
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aliix
The front windshield would have to be replaced as well for the image to display correctly.
You will need the new SW because of it's high reflectivity and optical angle needed to view the HUD display.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:23 PM
TripleBlackxThree
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by cfi_luz
You will not need to replace the windshield for the HUD to display properly. While it is true that HUD enabled cars have a special coating in that area, it is not necessary. Just as the C5's have added HUD's for years, I don't see the windshield display being a problem. Without the proper windshield it does look slightly dimmer, but nothing that would detract me from going this route if a person wanted to add HUD. Anxious to see if this pans out.

This has been old news for C5s for years. If you search C5 Gen, you'll see that cfi_luz is spot on.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:30 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,129 Likes on 701 Posts

Wonder what is included that you can't just pick up at the Chevy parts counter.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:16 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

This is NOT a HUD kit - it is merely the HUD projector part and the plastic ring that surrounds it on the top of the dash (replaces the solid access door that is there on non-HUD cars).

First, you can go to any GM part place and order a HUD projector - not hard at all. Will you save any $? I don't know.

Second, this so-called "kit" does not contain all the other parts, sensors, etc. that would also have to be installed.

Third, from what I have heard, it is not simply a plug-and-play deal. There is some wiring involved.

Fourth, despite statements to the contrary, you do NOT have to buy a new windshield for the HUD to work. The non-HUD windshield will work in about 90% of the lighting conditions you'll encounter. It will wash out in extreme conditions. The HUD windshield does not have anything extra in it - the polycarbonate center is merely more heavily polished to allow for higher reflectivity, that's all. Besides, a new HUD windshield is about $2k.

Final thought - you will have to remove the windshield to get proper access to install the wiring, projector, etc. Given that you will spend about $1500-2000 for all the parts, plus all the labor to do it, plus the instant voidance of your warranty (fooling with electrical stuff = void when something shorts out), why would you do it? You could have simply ordered a 3LT car with a host of additional stuff and gotten the HUD included. This is an old argument on the Forum, but it makes absolutely no sense to rip your dash apart to try to replicate what you could have gotten from the factory for not a lot more money (2% extra on purchase price?).

There is a reason why no one in here has tried to install a HUD on a C6 - everyone always talks about what a great project this would be, yet no one appears to have actually done it when the reality of the project comes to light.

Last edited by MNVette; 05-22-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:47 PM
bryanw2006
Racer

I agree with MNvette. If you wanted heads up in the first place you should of gotten a 3Lt car. when you go to sell your car the 3lt is going to bring more money anyway so its not like your loosing out you will get that 2 grand more back on the sale. now your going to pay 1000 for a Heads up Projector run the risk of shorting a fuze then when you go to sell this car. not many people would want to take a gamble on a car that has been altered with and could have a fuse go out or some sort of problem in regards of the ghetto heads up display.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:10 PM
azvetters
Pro

HUD Kit, is a total Package...Why??? First you get a Custom Harness.
you cant just call gm parts & order one.
2nd Includes all parts new GM Monitor, Dash control switch All Electrical connectors/sensor's 3rd if you have replaced the Dash trim/center console, you now the C6 Is a PlugNPlay and so is HUD.Final Thought?
WHAT???You do not have to Remove Winshield. ALL Work done from inside the Vette....I was ddenzins 2nd Install, my Vette is a 2005 "2xl"
if you in Phoenix, pm I will show N tell.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:42 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

A "custom harness"? So, this really is a ghetto installation. You admit that you are splicing wires here and there to add a HUD, but then you claim it is "plug and play"? If what you are talking about were really "plug and play," then GM would make the parts to install the HUD, and no "custom harness" would be necessary. Also, if you don't remove the windshield to get at it, then you are totally dismantling the dash, correct? There is no way the projector unit fits into the hold under the glass unless the entire dash is dismantled or the glass is removed. Finally, the pic on EBay doesn't show any "sensors" or other stuff - it is a pic of the projector and the plastic bezel that covers it. That's it. I seriously doubt that the "total cost" is only going to be a grand. Again, why not just buy the 3LT car?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:13 PM
dreamcarc6
Instructor

Originally Posted by vetter boy
2nd Includes all parts new GM Monitor, Dash control switch All Electrical connectors/sensor's 3rd if you have replaced the Dash trim/center console, you now the C6 Is a PlugNPlay and so is HUD.Final Thought?
WHAT???You do not have to Remove Winshield. ALL Work done from inside the Vette....I was ddenzins 2nd Install, my Vette is a 2005 "2xl"
Does it have all the functionality of the heads up display from the factory, ie g meter, turn signals, etc? My only concern would be how involved the install would really be.

And as to why go this route as opposed to buying a 3LT, you save about $5k by not buying 3LT. When you go to trade or sell, you have a car with HUD, and unless someone is really savvy, they won't even know what options came with what package especially a couple of years from now.

It seems like a relatively inexpensive alternative, if it works as advertised and has all the functionality of a factory installed HUD.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:22 PM
fright88
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MNVette
A "custom harness"? So, this really is a ghetto installation. You admit that you are splicing wires here and there to add a HUD, but then you claim it is "plug and play"? If what you are talking about were really "plug and play," then GM would make the parts to install the HUD, and no "custom harness" would be necessary. Also, if you don't remove the windshield to get at it, then you are totally dismantling the dash, correct? There is no way the projector unit fits into the hold under the glass unless the entire dash is dismantled or the glass is removed. Finally, the pic on EBay doesn't show any "sensors" or other stuff - it is a pic of the projector and the plastic bezel that covers it. That's it. I seriously doubt that the "total cost" is only going to be a grand. Again, why not just buy the 3LT car?

Maybe I read it wrong but it sounds like you don't have to splice anything. And just because you do "splice" wireing doesn't mean you are getting a ghetto install.

I have 3LT so I have HUD but if I didn't have HUD and my warrenty was up I would seriously be looking into this.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:26 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We are going to Lowes down in Chandler this Friday evening (on AZ ave just south of the new High School), there is a local weekly car show there. Come on down and look for a Silver C6, I'd really like to see the HUD in action. I didn't want to spring for the 3LT with all the crap (heated seats, BLOWS radio, etc.) but I'd really like to have a HUD.

Last edited by glennhl; 05-22-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:28 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MNVette

Not sure why you are attacking Vetter Boy. I would not consider a custom harness a ghetto installation. And GM doesn't offer this kit because they want to force you to buy a bunch of crap in order to get the HUD.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Sven
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by glennhl
Not sure why you are attacking Vetter Boy. I would not consider a custom harness a ghetto installation. And GM doesn't offer this kit because they want to force you to buy a bunch of crap in order to get the HUD.
I'll split the cost with the first person who installs it ($497.50) if this kit is complete and works.

Get notified of new replies

To There's a kit to add HUD to C6

Old 05-22-2007, 04:49 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

...I was ddenzins 2nd Install, my Vette is a 2005 "2xl"...
OK, I'll bite. What's a "2xl"?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:29 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MN Vette move along, like everyone here that has installed aftermarket radios have voided their warranty.

I should have all of the parts together for this install by the end of the week. So I am hoping tobe done with the install this weekend, at the latest by the middle of next week, I will report in full after install.

I'm very optimistic.
Don't mind the haters, they paid $5K for it, that is the reason they are hating.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:30 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
OK, I'll bite. What's a "2xl"?
2005 1SA
2006-07 2LT

Quick Reply: There's a kit to add HUD to C6