C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So,I'm outside checking out my boss's CARRERA S and..

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:54 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Default So,I'm outside checking out my boss's CARRERA S and..

I pay particular attention to the drilled rotors because of the similarity to the ones on my 05,and also they look the same as the Z06 rotors....they look very nice and massive...but I did notice....all the holes are going in the same direction,towards the back of the car,unlike my vette that has the driver side going 1 way and the passenger side going the other!!!! So,what's up with GM doing that??EL CHEAPO????
Old 05-25-2007, 09:57 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,842 Likes on 2,079 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jesse12804
I pay particular attention to the drilled rotors because of the similarity to the ones on my 05,and also they look the same as the Z06 rotors....they look very nice and massive...but I did notice....all the holes are going in the same direction,towards the back of the car,unlike my vette that has the driver side going 1 way and the passenger side going the other!!!! So,what's up with GM doing that??EL CHEAPO????

My buddy had the Z and noticed that too. He checked and sure enough, same part number for the rotors on either side.

Bean counters at their best.

Elmer
Old 05-25-2007, 09:57 AM
JLMounce
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cost savings certainly.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much. Dave Hill...the 'Godfather' of the C6 was quoted as saying the drilled rotors are "just for looks."
Old 05-25-2007, 10:03 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

I wouldn't worry too much. Dave Hill...the 'Godfather' of the C6 was quoted as saying the drilled rotors are "just for looks."
Maybe so,but the PORSCHE breaks look way better than mine.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Levitating_Llama
Burning Brakes

I believe this was addressed in last month's Corvette Magazine and it was soley due to cost savings. There is a theoretical difference in performance, too, but I guess it's not noticable.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:08 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

I believe this was addressed in last month's Corvette Magazine and it was soley due to cost savings. There is a theoretical difference in performance, too, but I guess it's not noticable.
Too bad GM has to make a 50 grand car look like crap in some areas.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:29 AM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rotors should be directional more so if they are slotted rotors. I've seen many cars, Honda, GM too with directional style wheels and they are all the same, when they should be side specific. I think it looks stupid when they do that.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:32 AM
WD-40
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen brother
Old 05-25-2007, 10:39 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Porsche did use nothing but CAST vented rotors as opposed to drilled. It's supposed to be a better way of making them and helps prevent cracking. Of course you are paying the big bucks so you ought to get a little something for all that money they charge......
Old 05-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

If the internal vanes of a rotor are straight It makes no real difference what direction the drill pattern goes in. If slotted externally they should run from the inside to the outside with the direction of rotation. Curved vane brakes, which I believe the Porsche has, always run from the inside to the outside, moving air through the rotor from the hub and being expelled as the rotor rotates. Vane direction always trumps the drilling pattern. Most high end brake systems are directional as they are more efficient at removing heat and spec'd for left and right fitment. Obviously the Vette straight vanes are a cost issue as pointed out before. Easier/cheaper to jig up one rotor/drill pattern than 2.... Here's a pic of a curved vane brake and the required rotation:

Old 05-25-2007, 10:42 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

50 Grand much more for the ZO6 which have the rotor vanes facing forward
Old 05-25-2007, 10:42 AM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Maybe so,but the PORSCHE breaks look way better than mine.
Brakes not breaks. That is about the only thing on the Porsche that looks better than your vette.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:48 AM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it is true the GM went cheap and provided identical brake rotors for both sides. In the Z06's rotors there are curved vanes so one rotor vents against the flow provided by the air duct

But cheer up! Brake rotors are consumables!
One thing is for sure: GM will not sell me those crappy rotors!
Old 05-25-2007, 10:58 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Brakes not breaks. That is about the only thing on the Porsche that looks better than your vette.
CORRECT ON THE SPELLING!!I wasn't quite awake yet!!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Vette junkie
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by WD-40
Amen brother
There is nothing about my 50 grand car that looks like crap. Anyone who thinks that's the case has not taken a good look at crap lately. Step back from the tree and enjoy the look of the forest. Still puts a smile on my face.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by achilds
Come on--the interior is far nicer, higher quality. But for the $40 large, it should be. The Silver Spur's interior makes the 911 C4's look like the original Hyundai... you get what you pay for in that arena. I'll take the savings and enjoy the Vette's (still very nice, to me) cheaper interior. But it would be nice if an upgrade was available, as it is (full or "supple" leather) on the Krautmobile. It would be worth a grand to $1200 to me for higher quality.

Get notified of new replies

To So,I'm outside checking out my boss's CARRERA S and..

Old 05-25-2007, 11:57 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I'd hope to not get much disagreement that Mr. Hill is an expert on things Corvette and things automotive. He's not the only one, though, saying in print lately that holes in rotors are just for looks. What I've read indicates that slotted or SOLID is best both for the street and for racing.

Also, seems to me that rotor holes should be chamfered on both sides to prevent initiation of cracks. If that were done the drill direction wouldn't even be discernable I would think.

I've also read posts for years 'educating' me about how the solid rotors on my base C6 are 'inferior' to the 'high performance' drilled rotors of the Z51 and now the F55. I never bought that one. The rotors are just a bit larger not much.

It's for looks IMO.

If I get an 08 the front rotors will be replaced with two piece slotted aftermarket which will give: 1/ lower weight 2/ better performance 3/ possibly less dust 4/ a unique left and right side part I may order Z51 for resale value mostly and I'll be sure to keep the stock drilled rotors so the next owner can enjoy that 'real race' look all those holes provide.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:45 PM
rollin18
Burning Brakes

probably helps keep the car from gradually becoming a 55k car..?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Red Sleeper
Burning Brakes

Drilled rotors? I don't know if I really care. If you add up the area of all the holes I wonder if they are any bigger.

Quick Reply: So,I'm outside checking out my boss's CARRERA S and..