C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many road trips taken in the vette and how far

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Rich Farr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Ontario, Canada to Savannah, Georgia

My wife and I attended The Gathering at Tybee Island in May and drove down Blue Ridge Skyway with 140 Corvettes as part of trip. To maximize the smaller trunk in the C6, I made two suitcases that closely matched the color of our 2005 Mag Red convertible. This was not difficult. Just buy two suitcases with close color match. Drill out the rivets and remove wheels & long pullout handle. Use pop riveter with aluminum rivets to replace rivets.

We also made 4 similar trips in our C5 convertible - Charleston twice, Asheville and Virginia Beach.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:50 AM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Seattle-LA-Death Valley-Vegas-Phoenix-Tucson-Nogales-Sierra Vista-Las Cruces-Silver City-Santa Fe-Taos-Colorado Springs-Moab-Boise-Seattle....7,000 miles total.

Seattle-Twentynine Palms-Phoenix-Kingman-Paso Robles-Seattle....4,000 miles total.

Other misc. shorter road trips....

And lovin' every minute of it!

Last edited by C-INRED; 08-04-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:56 AM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 463 Likes on 212 Posts

We've taken several trips now in the C6. Unless there is going to be snow on the road, the SUV stays home and the C6 goes on the trip.

Portland, Oregon to Los Angeles (2 times now - over 2,500 miles each trip)
Portland to Spokane, WA (3 times now - about 800 miles each time)
Portland to various stops along the Oregon and California Coast

Like the others have said, the C6 is very comfortable on long trips and the back holds a ton of stuff in the coupe.

At first I was really concerned about the car being out at night, but so far so good, and I figure that is what insurance is for if something major happens. I did pick up one rock chip in the windshield in Los Angeles (you can imagine the explitives shouted when that happened), but when we got back to Portland the local glass repair shop filled the chip and it came out so good that you really have to be looking for it to see where it was fixed.

The car gets great gas mileage, is very comfortable to drive long distances, has tons of toys for the trip (always looking at the HUD and navi when driving), XM radio comes in handy for long drives, has tons of power for passing, the top comes off if the weather is nice and the back holds a lot. What's there not to like???

Last edited by heisnuts; 08-04-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:38 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to see so many drivers on this thread. I've got 48k on my C6 now, and still on the original tires. Last trip was to Quincy Illinois and back to Atlanta, 1899 miles. As everyone says, the C6 is a great GT car. Very comfortable and lots of space for luggage. A true pleasure to take on a trip.

Too many owners on this forum are paranoid about driving, parking, and otherwise treating the Corvette as a car. Don't be. It is a car, a good one, that travels very well. It doesn't mind getting wet. It doesn't mind being parked under the stars. It was built to be outside. Its plastic doors are resistant to dings from the doors of other cars. It does have rather fragile plastic over its front and rear bumpers (good honest chrome steel bumpers would be better), but it can still take a pretty good lick to the front or rear with nothing more than some marked up paint. Its a survivor.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:47 AM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

Originally Posted by pewter99
um...do YOU see anything wrong with this picture?

Originally Posted by bradc6
We could talk about all the rain we've driven in and send them over the edge.
uh huh! how about all of us out in that mess the other night for dinner!

Originally Posted by UmCanesZ06
Brad, I see that you are in Pensacola. I am in Pcola also. And my car has been outside all this week in the torential rain we have had everyday except for today. And surprise surprise it didnt melt.
surprisingly enough, none of my vettes have ever melted in the rain OR shrunk up after being wet. out
Old 08-04-2007, 02:24 AM
reason_one
Instructor

Just back from NCM to Virginia.

One thing I would do though is this. When selecting a hotel to stay at, look at the address from the Google Maps satellite view. See what the parking is going to be like. That's how I selected the hotel I'd be staying at on my way back from NCM. I wanted a nice big lot with plenty of open spaces.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My C6 is a daily driver. I drive throughout Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. Just returned from a 17 day trip to South Dakota through Sioux Falls out to the Black Hills for the Black Hills Corvette Classic. Great time. Return trip was through Bowling Green for the NCM Xperience which involved guided plant and museum tours. I've had the car 18 months and have 27,250 miles on it - original tires, by the way.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:09 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 248 Posts

NCM Pickup, Bowling Green to Seattle.
Seattle to Reno and back
Seattle to Ventura Ca and back
Loved every minute esp off highway on back 2 lanes roads enjoying the true capabilities of the car and all its features.
Mike
Old 08-04-2007, 09:17 AM
kim.mitchell1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fort Hood, TX to Fort Rucker, AL and back(around 1700 miles round trip). Fort Rucker to Orlando and back(around 760 miles round trip). I drive my car every chance I get. My VY '06 already has almost 19,000 miles and counting. I do worry about it when I travel. I usually try to park the car near the front desk of hotels so that there is some visibility. It helps me sleep a little better when I'm on the road.

Kim
Old 08-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Je zz C6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

went from los angeles to monterey/san jose up pacific coast highway, incredible. first week of september will be going to the grand canyon, then to hoover dam, then to vegas and back home to l.a. should be fun, will try to get as many pics as possible.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:51 AM
gordonb50
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Made several in the C5 but just got the C6 about 2 months ago. Just got back from a trip to Flagstaff, Az and a couple of other stops in Arizona. Total mileage from East Texas and back was about 2,500. Great trip and great driving car.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
Glad to see so many drivers on this thread... As everyone says, the C6 is a great GT car. Very comfortable and lots of space for luggage. A true pleasure to take on a trip... Too many owners on this forum are paranoid about driving, parking, and otherwise treating the Corvette as a car... Don't be. It is a car, a good one, that travels very well.
Well said.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:07 AM
crabby
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '06

Drove the C6 with my wife from Iowa to Tucson in a fast and uneventful trip south. Very comfortable and pleasent. We made the 25th anniversary Route 66 Fun Run, and that was worth the trip. But, the hightlight was the trip home. We left Tucson, with the top down, on the two lanes to Durango, Co. Hard to believe that distance in a convertible could be that comfortable and pleasant. Then, after an overnight, continued north through Silverton on the two lanes through the mountains to Glenwood Springs, CO. The C6 was the perfect vehicle for this trip and will go on the record as one of the best drives I have made in over a million miles of driving.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:18 AM
UmCanesZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I enjoy reading this thread. Its good to see people enjoying their Corvettes. This thread is like a breath of fresh air, compared to the "I drove my car 20 miles this month, should I change my oil" and the "I am at work, and its raining, should I leave my Vette in the parking garage and take a bus home" threads. I thought maybe I was crazy for driving my Corvettes all over the country. I am glad to see I am not the only one.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:23 AM
2bubbas
Drifting

Default trips

Took a couple decent road trips in the C5.

13,000 miles from leaving home until return 2 months later- 17 Western state.

12,700 miles one year later- again West- 22 states- about the same time frame.

Longest in the C6 is into northern Ontario, Canada. 700 miles of so.

I don't consider it a road trip unless it is over 1000 miles. I run 250 miles to attend CCCC club functions in Lansing area.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:40 AM
darrylvandorn
Advanced

Last Fall went from Reno to the east coast, down the Blue Ridge Parkway, back across the Good Ol' U.S of A to So. Cal, then back to Reno. 8400 miles of driving with no problems with my C6. Parked car out every night with no problems.

We also take many trips to So. Cal. from Reno which is 1000+ miles round trip....with no problems. Would hesitate to do it in a more exotic car.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:14 AM
LSD 2005
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eagles6998
None for me yet. Just not enough time!
Same here... but, Labor Day seems promising for a road trip.

Get notified of new replies

To how many road trips taken in the vette and how far

Old 08-04-2007, 11:18 AM
TripleBlackxThree
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Just returned from a ~5200 mile trip from DFW are to Portland/Seattle. Third similar trip in last three years (first two in my C5).

The Vette is a good road car, but I wouldn't drive it unless I was able to take scenic, non-interstate routes. IMO, 10 hours on the interstate and you just as well be driving a Toyota.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:32 AM
fly a Z06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

In my C6 Z51 I drove home from the museum delivery and then to Detroit last summer for the Woodward Dream Cruise. This Monday I'm driving the ZO6 to Detroit to be in the America's Corvette club show at the GM Tech Center on Saturday the 11th and the Dream Cruise on the 18th with a tour of the Wixom plant in between.

The C6 was so comfortable and absorbed bumps so well that when I left Denver and arrived in St. George, UT at 3 where I had planned to overnight, I wasn't tired and kept going to Los Angeles...1042 miles and wasn't tired even then.

Enough bragging. The Corvette is great fun on trips.

Joel
Old 08-04-2007, 11:36 AM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Used to commute to DC fm VA Beach weekly 200mi

Carisle 250
Bowling Green 500 twice