C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aggravating squeak, anybody know how to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:47 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale_K
I don't care about the squeak. Next time post pictures of the wife in the hatch jumping up & down.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:23 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston Z51
UPDATE

It sounds like its coming from under the plastic roof panels behind the drivers seat (not the glass roof) or from under the plastics where the seatbelt gadgets are. And I have actually noticed that the squeak is more apparent with the roof off then with the roof on. And it is still coming from over my left shoulder.end up in a mental institution.
That's where mine was in my C5 coupe. Used some foam insulation under the plastic panels to fix it.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:11 PM
MichaelB
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Search the FAQ's, click here, several posts.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Boston Z51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelB
Search the FAQ's, click here, several posts.
I appreciate the obligatory "read the FAQ" post, but I have read all there is to read and 99.5% of all squeak related posts pertain to the removable roof or suspension in one way or another and that is not what is going on here.

Also if you read the entire thread you would notice I am not the only one baffled by the "over the left shoulder" squeak.

My next step is to start removing the plastic ceiling under panels to see if I can isolate where its coming from. I have done several tests on a bumpy road with the roof on and off. With the roof on the squeak is less apparent which is probably due to there being less flex in the plastic roof panels.

Last edited by Boston Z51; 08-23-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 AM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

My car did the EXACT same thing from the same place. I actually posted about it here as well. It was driving me CRAZY as every little undulation in the road was making this squeak/chirp sound come over my left shoulder. I could open the hatch, push down on the car and make the squeak audible but didn't know where it was coming from. I had a friend lay under the car while I pushed and he isolated the sound as coming from somewhere on the suspension setup on the rear wheel area.

I had tried isolating the problem by spraying individual areas with silicone spray, but that never worked. One day, I got so fed up that I jacked the car in the air, removed the wheel, tightened my axle nut up to spec (if you haven't done this yet, check it!) and sprayed EVERY last bushing and wire loom with silicone spray. There was a bolt that was not threaded properly on the top of the shock mount as well. It was literally 1/4" from bottoming out. With the wheel off, I could get to the bolt and threaded it properly. I also greased the zerk that only Z51 cars are equipped with back there. Put it all back together and haven't heard the squeak since.

So, in conclusion, it could be any ONE of those things!! Sorry I can't be of more specific help!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Boston Z51
Advanced

Originally Posted by GizmoZ
My car did the EXACT same thing from the same place. I actually posted about it here as well. It was driving me CRAZY as every little undulation in the road was making this squeak/chirp sound come over my left shoulder. I could open the hatch, push down on the car and make the squeak audible but didn't know where it was coming from. I had a friend lay under the car while I pushed and he isolated the sound as coming from somewhere on the suspension setup on the rear wheel area.

I had tried isolating the problem by spraying individual areas with silicone spray, but that never worked. One day, I got so fed up that I jacked the car in the air, removed the wheel, tightened my axle nut up to spec (if you haven't done this yet, check it!) and sprayed EVERY last bushing and wire loom with silicone spray. There was a bolt that was not threaded properly on the top of the shock mount as well. It was literally 1/4" from bottoming out. With the wheel off, I could get to the bolt and threaded it properly. I also greased the zerk that only Z51 cars are equipped with back there. Put it all back together and haven't heard the squeak since.

So, in conclusion, it could be any ONE of those things!! Sorry I can't be of more specific help!
Thanks for the great information. I think I am going to print out your post and give it to the vette tech at my dealership and see if he can check what you have suggested.

Also I have a portable hydrolic jack thingy, is there a safe place to jack it up? I thought I heard something about putting hockey pucks somewhere and having to place the jack in a specific way. I know I can't used the standard method, so I never bothered. If so I could probably do it myself.

The squeak has almost become an obsession of mine. I swear I hear it in my dreams now and I wake up in a sweat!
Old 08-25-2007, 08:04 PM
tombrand
Advanced

Default Squeek, drivers side, left shoulder area

Try lifting the seat belt away from where it contacts the seat on its way toward your shoulder. By altering the seat leather/belt interface or (changing the belt tension) the annoying sound is eliminated in my car.
Other squeeks have stopped after I applied sparkplug boot dielectric lubricant to the area where the interior plastic doorway trim rubs on the inside aspect of the door jam. The plastic trim moves inward, under pressure, just enough to cover the silicone lubricant mentined above, when the pressure is released.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:40 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 09-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Boston Z51
Advanced

Originally Posted by tombrand
Try lifting the seat belt away from where it contacts the seat on its way toward your shoulder. By altering the seat leather/belt interface or (changing the belt tension) the annoying sound is eliminated in my car.
Other squeeks have stopped after I applied sparkplug boot dielectric lubricant to the area where the interior plastic doorway trim rubs on the inside aspect of the door jam. The plastic trim moves inward, under pressure, just enough to cover the silicone lubricant mentined above, when the pressure is released.
I will give this a try too. Also I am not 100% sure its coming from the suspension. I have done some runs on various roads to test and noticed the squeak occurs when both the front and rear wheel hits the bump, not just the rear wheel which leads me to believe its not suspension related.

At one point I thought I found the cause, I thought it was the plastic clips under the hood that hold up the insulation but a few mins later the squeak was back and again wanted to steer the car into a pole.

Last edited by Boston Z51; 09-10-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:26 PM
eugenee326
Advanced

I have an 06 Vert and I have what sounds to be the EXACT same noise. It sure does sound like its coming from the seatbelt tensioner area or the rear top of the door panel. It also makes noise with heavy loud radio bass - although even though this seems to be in the same location maybe there are 2 different "squeeks". It doesn't sound like its coming from underneath the car but I've been surprised by squeeks before. Its hard to drive and try to move your hand around there applying pressure to make the noise go away. I am a bit disappointed in the door panels as they seem like they could use some extra fastening/tightening. Anyone ever do that?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:12 PM
redrokit8
Racer

Originally Posted by tombrand
This is pretty close to what I did except I really torqured down the four seat nuts and siliconed all of the points in the lower seat area where leather meets leather. I also siliconed inback of the seat belt bracket where it meets the seat. After approx a 1/2 hour drive it disappeared.
My squeak would happen whenever I changed position in my drivers seat.
These are the toughest situations to trouble shoot because everyone's ear is different.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:33 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Check the plastic trim that surrounds the gage cluster. A few days after I got my car, part of that piece started rubbing against the clear gage cover and produced an incredibly annoying squeak going over bumps. I know you said it sounds like it's coming from behind you, but it's easy to get thrown off. I put some foam in there and it's been silent for 2.5 years.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Boston Z51
Advanced

Well heres a mini update.. My squeak is wihtout a doubt coming from outside the car and not the interior.

With my roof off the squeak is about a 9 on a scale of 1-10
With Roof on and windows open the squeak is about a 6
With roof on and windows up the squeak is a 3 and barley audible with any road noise or with the radio on.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:39 PM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine is not a squeak but sounds like popping, like somene is tapping the storage bins with a hammer. Only makes this popping sound going straight and over slightly unlevel surfaces. Doesn't make it over large bumps or at speed. Seems like it is the passenger side to me.

I lubricated every bushing in the suspension, tightened the axle nuts, tightened every bolt in the suspenion, changed out the diff oil to Amsoil 75-90 Severe Duty and it still has this popping sund.

Took it to the dealer and they can't seem to figure out what it is. They have an 05 in the service bay with the same weird popping noise. They told me not to bring my C6 back in until they talk to GM Engineering on what to look for next.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:28 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by KarlK
Mine is not a squeak but sounds like popping, like somene is tapping the storage bins with a hammer. Only makes this popping sound going straight and over slightly unlevel surfaces. Doesn't make it over large bumps or at speed. Seems like it is the passenger side to me.

I lubricated every bushing in the suspension, tightened the axle nuts, tightened every bolt in the suspenion, changed out the diff oil to Amsoil 75-90 Severe Duty and it still has this popping sund.

Took it to the dealer and they can't seem to figure out what it is. They have an 05 in the service bay with the same weird popping noise. They told me not to bring my C6 back in until they talk to GM Engineering on what to look for next.
I had noise like that occurring under similar circumstances when I didn't tighten one of the sway bar end links properly. It looked fine, but when I put a wrench on it I was able to tighten it more. It you haven't double checked those yet, give it a shot.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Boston Z51
Advanced

I finally gave up. I am dropping the car of at the dealership Monday morning and I am going to tell them that I don't want the car back unless the squeak is gone. I am literally going insane.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:08 PM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Let us know how it turns out. I can certainly understand your frustration.

Get notified of new replies

To Aggravating squeak, anybody know how to fix it?

Old 11-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Jet Stream
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GizmoZ
Let us know how it turns out. I can certainly understand your frustration.

Alas I bring Good News!

click here
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1839037
Old 05-06-2010, 02:58 PM
jborg
Advanced

My 09 has an aggravating rattle that sounds like it is coming from the drivers window pillar where it meets the removable top. i am thinking of using wd 40 as a lubricant to try to eliminate it. Is there a better substance to use?
Old 05-06-2010, 03:05 PM
fastter
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale_K
I don't care about the squeak. Next time post pictures of the wife in the hatch jumping up & down.

Quick Reply: Aggravating squeak, anybody know how to fix it?