C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aggravating squeak, anybody know how to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Boston Z51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aggravating squeak, anybody know how to fix it?

Since I bought my 2006 Z51 5 months ago (with 7k miles) I have noticed a squeak on the driver’s side every time I hit a bump, even minor road imperfections cause the squeak. I have been drowning out the squeaks mainly with music to deal with it.

The squeak seems to be emanating from over my left shoulder and behind (drivers perspective). I thought it maybe the door jams but I really can't tell. It happens with the roof on or off, with windows up or down. I tried dry lubing the entire door jam area and also where the locking mechanisms are with no result. I don't think it’s the seat either.

Anybody have a similar squeak or had it and fixed it somehow? It’s finally got to me after 5 months and its starting to make me nuts
Old 08-07-2007, 10:34 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

If you can make it happen take it to the dealer. They should take care of it if you can take them for a ride and they can hear it.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:36 AM
cspnboy
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston Z51
Since I bought my 2006 Z51 5 months ago (with 7k miles) I have noticed a squeak on the driver’s side every time I hit a bump, even minor road imperfections cause the squeak. I have been drowning out the squeaks mainly with music to deal with it.

The squeak seems to be emanating from over my left shoulder and behind (drivers perspective). I thought it maybe the door jams but I really can't tell. It happens with the roof on or off, with windows up or down. I tried dry lubing the entire door jam area and also where the locking mechanisms are with no result. I don't think it’s the seat either.

Anybody have a similar squeak or had it and fixed it somehow? It’s finally got to me after 5 months and its starting to make me nuts

Oh boy! It's hitting epidemic proportions! Mine started about a month ago. I swapped out my XM for Sirius and I thought maybe I did a bad job of securing the unit. I've got a similar noise coming from just over my left shoulder. I'd love to know if you locate it. I'll keep hunting myself.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:46 AM
50th year
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I have found most of the squeeks actually come from the roof panel. I know it dosen't sound like it comes from there but its often true. What I do is put a thin peice of material over the holes to use as a shim then put the top back on and snug it up good. It has to be the right thickness. If its to thick the panel won't latch. Start with the thinest you can find. Even a strip of paper.
Ron
Old 08-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my Vert, it is the driver's side door panel. Try pushing the panel in hard with your palm in the area of the noise. This may re-seat the hardware.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:18 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Try lubing the weatherstripping; it worked for a similar problem in the C5s. You might also try some soft foam material, inserted between the plastic parts in that area.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:27 AM
CessnaDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The plastic seatbelt guide insert perhaps.
Try pressing on it when there is squeeking noises.
See if it goes away.
You can snap it out very easily, try lubing behind it where it contacts other plastics.
Also press hard on all those little snap fasteners in that area and make sure they are all in tight.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Boston Z51
Advanced

Thanks for the good ideas.. I am 100% it has nothing to do with my roof, I fixed 80% of those rattles with dry lube and some plastic shrink.

I have not thought about the seat belt fastener or the plastic panels.. I will give that a go today, it could be the belt fastener..
Old 08-07-2007, 01:13 PM
ZO6Gal
Drifting

Thanks for the good ideas.. I am 100% it has nothing to do with my roof, I fixed 80% of those rattles with dry lube and some plastic shrink.

I have not thought about the seat belt fastener or the plastic panels.. I will give that a go today, it could be the belt fastener..

I have been dealing with an issue that is pretty much exactly as you explained in your post. I have taken it to several different people but nothing worked. EVERYTHING on the car had been checked. I decided to take it to a different dealer as I was given the name of a reputable tech. I took it this morning and the drive up lift was taken by a Tahoe so, after taking the car for a little drive and hearing the problem, he put it up on a regular lift. Everybody else had put it on a drive up lift. The problem was in the rear driver's side spring but I honestly don't understand it well enough to even be posting. It would have never been found on a drive up lift. If it's not the seat belt fastener or any of the plastics, I would definitely take it in and have the rear suspension area checked out. I'm sure he would be glad to speak with you if needed. He was so courteous and determined that I will be going back to him for servicing, etc. If you decide that you would like to call him, just pm me for his number. Good luck with yours.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:51 PM
thetopdog
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the exact same problem in my 2006 with base suspension. I'm sure these #@($& Boston roads aren't helping the situation at all
Old 08-07-2007, 02:05 PM
masihman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure this is it but I get a creak in the A pillar at the top where the convertible top closes. If you pull back the cover you'll see that the portion at the top of the winsheild, not the actual A pillar cover, has a plastic piece that sits against the metal. I put a piece of felt with 1 side of it sticky in there. It finally went away. Hope it helps.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Boston Z51
Advanced

Originally Posted by rgcarmack14
I have been dealing with an issue that is pretty much exactly as you explained in your post. I have taken it to several different people but nothing worked. EVERYTHING on the car had been checked. I decided to take it to a different dealer as I was given the name of a reputable tech. I took it this morning and the drive up lift was taken by a Tahoe so, after taking the car for a little drive and hearing the problem, he put it up on a regular lift. Everybody else had put it on a drive up lift. The problem was in the rear driver's side spring but I honestly don't understand it well enough to even be posting. It would have never been found on a drive up lift. If it's not the seat belt fastener or any of the plastics, I would definitely take it in and have the rear suspension area checked out. I'm sure he would be glad to speak with you if needed. He was so courteous and determined that I will be going back to him for servicing, etc. If you decide that you would like to call him, just pm me for his number. Good luck with yours.
Thanks for the lead on this.. I will be at the dealership this weekend to swap out a tire I have with a nail in it (thank God for rim/tire insurance). I will ask the vette tech to take a look.. If he can't help I may PM you for that tech's number..

Last edited by Boston Z51; 08-07-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Boston Z51
Advanced

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I've got the exact same problem in my 2006 with base suspension. I'm sure these #@($& Boston roads aren't helping the situation at all
You said it.. I only have an 11 mile round trip commute to work, 10 miles of it I spend dodging bumps, holes and expansion points or at least trying to find the least offensive to drive over.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:13 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Same thing in my 07 with F55. Mine is more of a ticking sound, but same location. I have had the roof on and off, lubed everything, and still can't track it down.

I'll have the dealer look at it if I have to take it in for something else, but won't take it in for just that.

Let us know if you find something out.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:14 PM
lowdwnsteve
Advanced

ok guys- do this-- sounds funny- but it worked for me and it helped me solve my squeek!!

step 1) open hatch

step2) get girlfriend to climb in hatch

step 3) get her to "bounce" the rear end by jumping up and down

step 4) get under the back of the car by the exhaust and listen as she moves the car up and down--

My squeek was coming from the suspension adjustment bolts against the A-Arms-- I put a bunch of white lithium grease on the bushing and voila- quite as it was the first 2 days I bought it..- (you wanna get the grease on the bushing between the a-arm and bushing-- using a bottle jack, jack the one side of the leaf spring so you can get your grease in between there.. do the other side
Old 08-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lowdwnsteve
My squeek was coming from the suspension adjustment bolts against the A-Arms-- I put a bunch of white lithium grease on the bushing and voila- (you wanna get the grease on the bushing between the a-arm and bushing...
Funny, I've been playing with my suspension adjustments recently, and just this past week I started hearing a loud "squeak" from the rear of the car only on big bumps. I was just about to add some grease under the suspension adjuster bolt pads as I did suspect these as being a possible cause, but I wasn't sure if it was "safe" to use petroleum based grease on the fiberglass springs. The owners manual warns not to use "degreasers" and other heavy-duty cleaners on the springs. I suspect it would be ok to use lithium grease, but...?... how about some type of silicon grease? Comments?
Old 08-10-2007, 05:55 PM
lowdwnsteve
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vet
Funny, I've been playing with my suspension adjustments recently, and just this past week I started hearing a loud "squeak" from the rear of the car only on big bumps. I was just about to add some grease under the suspension adjuster bolt pads as I did suspect these as being a possible cause, but I wasn't sure if it was "safe" to use petroleum based grease on the fiberglass springs. The owners manual warns not to use "degreasers" and other heavy-duty cleaners on the springs. I suspect it would be ok to use lithium grease, but...?... how about some type of silicon grease? Comments?

In my opinion- the car will fall apart LONG BEFORE any type of degreaser would harm the springs... We do drive a GM Product (FLAME SUIT ON ) LOL
If I would have found some of that really really crazy thick grease I used to use on my poly bushings on F-Bodies-- that stuff would have went on instead and wouldn't be goin no where..

Get notified of new replies

To Aggravating squeak, anybody know how to fix it?

Old 08-10-2007, 06:13 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lowdwnsteve
ok guys- do this-- sounds funny- but it worked for me and it helped me solve my squeek!!

step 1) open hatch

step2) get girlfriend to climb in hatch

step 3) get her to "bounce" the rear end by jumping up and down

step 4) get under the back of the car by the exhaust and listen as she moves the car up and down--
Sounds like an effective solution, but I've got to say - It's an awful waste of steps 1-3!
Old 08-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Boston Z51
Advanced

UPDATE

I tried the wife jumping in the hatch trick while oiling every joint in the suspension and the squeak is 100% the same. I did hear a slight suspension squeak when she was jumping but I am not convinced that is the same squeak I am hearing when I hit bumps.

It sounds like its coming from under the plastic roof panels behind the drivers seat (not the glass roof) or from under the plastics where the seatbelt gadgets are. And I have actually noticed that the squeak is more apparent with the roof off then with the roof on. And it is still coming from over my left shoulder. I really don't know what to do besides trying to remove the plastic roof panels and see what’s doing underneath.

Anybody else have any luck? I swear if I cannot find it and fix it I will end up in a mental institution. Boston roads + Squeaks could make anybody insane..

Last edited by Boston Z51; 08-22-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Dale_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't care about the squeak. Next time post pictures of the wife in the hatch jumping up & down.

Quick Reply: Aggravating squeak, anybody know how to fix it?