C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 owners in states where front plates are "required"

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:00 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No front plate - removable Top Flight Reproductions front plate bracket with tag attached in rear storage compartment just in case. Nothin' like livin' on the edge, eh?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 AM
repete12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i whimped out. this is imho the best compromise.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,156 Likes on 6,206 Posts

Been driving Corvettes daily for almost 10 years with no front plate. Never been stopped.

A year ago, our local GTG was meeting when the entire Murphy, TX police department showed up (nearby WalMart complained about where we were parking). There were about 10-12 Corvettes, none with a front plate. They saw we were not creating any troubles and just left us alone.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cincyspider
LOL....if I were in VA, I'd have the front plate on too! What's the fine there for it.....$87,000 + $2.00 court costs? Lien on your first born?
No, its $25 fine, $250 court costs, and $2500 extra fees (paid in convenient annual installments). Just kidding, its not that bad. VA traffic courts are really no worse than the IRS. At least no worse than being audited by an IRS agent a few weeks overdue for his hemroid surgery appointment.

But I run a front plate, mainly because I figure its one more thing that might get me pulled over, say maybe I'm a few MPH over the limit (which of course never happens) and a cop is deciding if he wants to bother with me. The plate might be a factor there.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cincyspider
LOL....if I were in VA, I'd have the front plate on too! What's the fine there for it.....$87,000 + $2.00 court costs? Lien on your first born?
You got it. I believe there is talk about cane lashings too.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:14 PM
kgelliott
Drifting

Originally Posted by willie59

been there done that in texas dallas to texarkana on i30 dps are just asses but no plate on my vette
I've had my C6 since August '06, and this is the only place I have been pulled over for no front plate. No ticket, just a warning (June '07). I did tell the DPS that I actually DO have a front plate (NCM mount, on front air dam). He didn't think that was properly displaying the plate. I temporarily agreed. Glad to have the warning, though!
Old 10-23-2007, 12:27 PM
lilpuu
Advanced

Calif. No plates,FBI
Old 10-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

I live in Minnesota and took delivery of my new 2008 CRM a couple of weeks ago and cannot bring myself to putting the front plate on. I did however, purchase the slightly more attractive aftermarket plate holder, it still is in the unopened box in my garage.

I do have the GM issue front plate holder in my trunk. My plan if stopped, is to show the LEO what this GM plate holder would look like in the front of the car, and hope that he agrees. Otherwise, I will deal with the first ticket.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:02 PM
tseibert
Instructor

I was pulled over this summer by a MN State Trooper specifically for no plate. I guess it was a slow day, he actually was parked on the shoulder and watched me go by in his rear view. He caught me so off guard I was racking my brain trying to think of what I did wrong. I did not even have time to make up a good story, just a lame "haven't got around to putting it on". I knew the risk; I always though I'll just pay the ticket each time I get caught and think of it as a Corvette tax, but I have changed my opinion. It really was not much fun; there was nothing friendly about about the officer, and I did not enjoy getting chewed out but a young man who barely shaves. I bought a Top Flight removable bracket with the GM VY frame, and I am sort of used to it now. Does not look too bad, and the stress level is down each time I see a squad car. One of the things that still burns meis that in MN, the fine would have been the same if I would have got caught with a small amount of pot in the car.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:00 PM
riverway
Instructor

Went plateless for a couple of years with no problem but the great highway patrol tagged me the other day for $110.00 for no front plate. Within a couple of days a second highway patrol gave me a hard time about it but no ticket.

Looks like the police fund needs a little cash up here in the land of ice and snow.

Front plate bracket to follow later this week.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:30 PM
NappysVette
Pro

No Plate EVER on the Front. Front license plates on Corvette's and F-Body make me
Old 10-23-2007, 03:45 PM
kwickag
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tseibert
I was pulled over this summer by a MN State Trooper specifically for no plate. I guess it was a slow day, he actually was parked on the shoulder and watched me go by in his rear view. He caught me so off guard I was racking my brain trying to think of what I did wrong. I did not even have time to make up a good story, just a lame "haven't got around to putting it on". I knew the risk; I always though I'll just pay the ticket each time I get caught and think of it as a Corvette tax, but I have changed my opinion. It really was not much fun; there was nothing friendly about about the officer, and I did not enjoy getting chewed out but a young man who barely shaves. I bought a Top Flight removable bracket with the GM VY frame, and I am sort of used to it now. Does not look too bad, and the stress level is down each time I see a squad car. One of the things that still burns meis that in MN, the fine would have been the same if I would have got caught with a small amount of pot in the car.
Exactly the same for me. Mine was a lady motorcycle LEO and all she would do is tell me it was required, no excuses. Matter of fact after she was through with me she poulled another person over for no front plate within 10 seconds. $112 fine each time plus the time and aggravation isn't worth it.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:27 PM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Yes and you haven't crossed paths with the Texas DPS yet either. A lot of the young DPS troopers are passionate about upholding all of the traffic laws on the books. High probability of either a citation or a warning from DPS if they see a car without a front plate.

Having said that, 7 years so far without a front plate nor a warning regarding lack of such. Then again I rarely ever encounter DPS in my daily commutes in the greater Houston area. The local LEOs simply don't care about this provision in the law.
I've been pulled over 3 times (2 by DPS on Hwy 90) in my previous vettes solely for not having a front plate and given warnings. I consider myself warned, but I'm still not adding a front plate on my vette.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Any of you Texas guys seen in this thread that ONLY DPS pulls over for no front plate? Anyone in Texas been ticketed by a city cop?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:43 PM
havesleep
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Front plate, I dont mind.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

NO FRONT PLATE FOR MINE.... EVER!
yes Connecticut requires one.....

Old 10-23-2007, 05:08 PM
jaki30
Safety Car

Received 541 Likes on 310 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Used the retractable

I used the retractable plate from Gulf Coast.
Had no choice about the plate. The military base I work at wouldn't let the car on base without both plates.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 owners in states where front plates are "required"

Old 10-23-2007, 05:11 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

No plate, and no hassles thus far...and in case any local LEOs are reading this - remember I am that guy in the yellow Corvette that behaves himself, & drives mellow around town. Be kind.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I received a ticket from a DPS LEO and a warning from a city LEO in my C5. I prefer the look without one, but I decided that I did not want to give any LEO an excuse to pull me over, and put on a Top Flight bracket. I don't think it looks bad.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Je zz C6
Burning Brakes

Not only do I not have one in the front even though California requires that you do...But I'm actually thinking of taking off the back one to prove a point that no one will tell me what to do.

Quick Reply: C6 owners in states where front plates are "required"