C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best brand of gas to use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:44 AM
Badbee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLY US

.......... CHEVRON
Used Arco years ago cause it was the least expensive in my area and I thought all gasolines were about the same. Had to have my injectors replaced. I don't know if it was the Arco but since then I have been using Chevron and have had no problems. I also have a BMW and my dealer and several mechanics also recommend Chevron due to the Techron additive. I have read that when emissions testing is conducted for the new cars, several manufactures will use Chevron.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:54 AM
reptilneto
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use gasright

no I only use BP 93 or shell if there is not shell or BP around I will not get gas
Old 11-02-2007, 07:12 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by reptilneto
I use gasright

no I only use BP 93 or shell if there is not shell or BP around I will not get gas
So do you carry a small fold up bike in the trunk area ?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:31 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Raw gasoline is traded amonst the industry and shared.
When it is sold at the wholesale loading rack it must comply with minimum Federal standards with specified characterisitics including a minimum detergency package.

THe raw gasoline and the specific additives used to get it to minimum vary by refinery orbit.
Each refinery blends components to crate their gasoline and uses different belending components to achieve the desired octane level. These differences result in different "driveability"
Driveability affects smoothness of idle, hesitation, and acceleration. In additon at the automated loading rack the major oil companies have rented a piece of land and installed a tank containing their owm proporietary detergency apckage. When the un marked tanker goes to the loading rack, they slide the Brand specific magnetic stiped card ( like a credit card) and the the Brand specific additive package is injected at the correct dosage into the gasoline as it is pumped into the tanker.

Since the swiping of the card is how the gasoline gets billed, If the driver swipes the wrong card, ( Say Chevron instead of Shell)someone else is paying for the gas... and the computer printed invoice will direct the drive to deliver the accidentally filled tanker to a site from the netowrk of the card he actually used ( Chevron) and NOT the one he thought he used ( Shell)

So yes it is common practice for the driver of an unbranded tanker to pick up loads of gas at the same termonal which to him appear to be identical and deliver them to competing Brands.
If they are competing Brnads whcih are satisfied with meeting the Federal minimum standars, then they will be exactly the same gasoline including the additives.
BUT if one is Top Tier and the other is not, then they will (in the absence of a major computer glitch ) be different gasiline by nature of differnt additive packages.

What the top tier companies have done is to ensure guaranteed level of driveability AND a higher level of detergency is found in every gallon sold across their network.

Those not on the list may have excellent gas in one refinery orbit ( say one with their own refinery) but be buying crap gas from someone elses refinery in another geographic region.

That is why historically some loved one brand , while others said it was crap. They were both right, but buying differnt gas in different regions.

IF you have a local gas station and you are happy with it that is fine...
THe Top tier endorsement can also help you pick what gas to use when you are can't stop at your regular station.

Last edited by rws.1; 11-02-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 AM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I usually run chevron/exxon/shell and then every 10K miles throw a can of BG 44K in it (the good stuff)
Ditto!
Old 11-02-2007, 09:26 AM
DAN01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Chevron

Quick Reply: What is the best brand of gas to use?