C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would u use Costco Gas (Premium)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:33 PM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing but Sunoco
Old 11-30-2007, 01:38 PM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I never understand these gas questions that come up. People will scream to hi heaven if you want to put a Flowmaster exhaust or inexpensive tires, because by God, if you bought a Corvette, than don't "cheap out". But they never spout that off in a gas question, I wonder why? (Maybe because they truly are cheap bastards on tehir own )

It seems like such a moot point anyways. costco gas is .10 cheaper than Unocal or Shell where I live. I fill up 1-2 times a month, depending on driving habits (not counting any trips or anything, just normal driving), and usually around the 13 gallon mark. So I save $1.30-$2.60 a month on gas. That equates to $15.60-$31.20 a year. Lets go one step further and say I run 12k miles anually (which I do, but a lot don't). At an average of 20 mpg (mix of city/hwy), I use 600 gallons. At .10 a gallon savings I save a whopping $60. $60 Using my above genius calculations, you can plug in any savings, such as .15, or even .20 as another poster stated.

Cut out the double latte at starbucks for a month, and put the $60 towards peace of mind. The gas with the detergent at least has the chance of making your car run better. The double latte just raises your blood pressure

Last edited by rothchilds; 11-30-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:38 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run Costco premium exlusively for years, put hundreds of thousands of cumulative miles on Lt1, LS-1 and LS-2 motors with no (even remotely related) gas problems. If you want additives throw in a can of Techron . . . And Costco sells it. Top Tier is nothing but marketing hype. Bottom line, buy what you want, pay what you want.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:43 PM
gordonb50
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an expert on fuel additives, but if I can spend the money for a car like this, what's a few more cents when getting fuel? I'll stick with the Top Tier fuel list.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Shell or Chevron is the only gas I use in my cars.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Brewz
Instructor

Always!, car runs great.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:52 PM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i talked to a costco employee about this... i was told they buy from the top three or four (can't remember now which) sellers... and they buy the least expensive at the time of purchase...... i've been using costco gas for at least ten or twelve years with absolutely no problems with it, and will continue using it....
Old 11-30-2007, 01:59 PM
SpdWhite
Racer

Starting with my C5 in 2001 I experienced the fuel guage problem. When half full it would go to "0" and give a low fuel warning. The service rep at my dealer wanted to change the fuel tank sensors. Their Corvette mechanic (certified) told me to try a bottle of TECHRON and then stick with brand name "Top Tier" gas. (him I trust)

It appears the additives are worth it for the Vette. I never had the problem again with the C5 and my C6-2005 has been just fine.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:15 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MNVette
You're kidding, right? "Top Tier" is nothing more than a marketing campaign. You'll notice they don't mention a single independent report showing their gas is somehow better.

Bottom line - all gas comes from the same place. Shell, Chevron, etc. may put slightly different additives in the mix, but 99.9% of it is exactly the same. Not a bit of difference. So long as you get a high enough octane, gas is gas.

This is absolutely correct. I worked for a pipline co that supplied ALL gas stations (except what is now BP)with product. many years ago. It is all the same. The amount of unique additives was about 1QT/8000gal. What's that ratio. Think that will make a .05/gal difference.
I have in fact used Costco (because its close and low cost) with 100% satisfaction.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802

This is absolutely correct. I worked for a pipline co that supplied ALL gas stations (except what is now BP)with product. many years ago. It is all the same. The amount of unique additives was about 1QT/8000gal. What's that ratio. Think that will make a .05/gal difference.
I have in fact used Costco (because its close and low cost) with 100% satisfaction.
I agree-
Old 11-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Ozone
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
NEVER!!! I used to believe all gas was the same. I did notice that cars ran better after a few tanks of Chevron but I assumed that was just coincidence. Then I started using only Top Tier gasses. Now I find the idle is smooth as glass all the time. No more loping at the stop light. Acceleration is smoother and more consistent also. And the price of Top Tier gas is often less than the cost of off brands. Yes, all gas comes from the same refineries and the only difference is the small amount of additives. But the same is true of water. It all comes from the sky but I'd rather drink city water with a tiny amount of chlorine than swamp water.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:54 PM
traindude
Race Director

I use Costco premium (93 octane) in the Vette, and their 87 octane in my two SUVs with no problems.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:35 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

My tuner specifically told me to not use Costco gas. So no, I wouldn't.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:39 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I use COSTCO gas all the time in my Vette; No problems.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:40 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by possessed
I use the cheapest crap I can find, but I do use 93 octane.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:45 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by SpdWhite
Starting with my C5 in 2001 I experienced the fuel guage problem. When half full it would go to "0" and give a low fuel warning. The service rep at my dealer wanted to change the fuel tank sensors. Their Corvette mechanic (certified) told me to try a bottle of TECHRON and then stick with brand name "Top Tier" gas. (him I trust)

It appears the additives are worth it for the Vette. I never had the problem again with the C5 and my C6-2005 has been just fine.
I had those gas tank thingies replaced after 8000 miles. Gauge would do the same as above. Guess What? Only used Chevron or Shell since the car was new with an additional shot of Techron. Go Figure. The gas gauge started acting up again and they did some kind of computer fix and it's fine now. I don't know what any of this means. eddie
Old 11-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by sampson
I was told in the northeast that Hess is the best gas as they refine locally so it sits the shortest time and doesn't make the long pipeline trip to get here, picking up condensation or debris. The prices are usually in line with most stations, too.

Not only that, but Hess always seems to have the cheapest prices. I use it whenever I can.
BTW, I'd use COSTCO gas. There really isn't any difference.
I also use Kwik Check and WaWa gas.

Last edited by Fcal; 11-30-2007 at 07:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Would u use Costco Gas (Premium)?

Old 11-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by possessed
I use the cheapest crap I can find, but I do use 93 octane.
you sir, are the winner
Old 11-30-2007, 08:06 PM
TEXASRANGER
HOOK-EM HORNS

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I was an EXXON dlr for many years, downtown Austin. Station number was 60015, the 15th station in the EXXON line (ESSO) and believe me there is a difference in the fuels. (Yes, my Exxon settlement this year bought me a new vette) I will not use anything but a national branded gas and I do use WALLY gas but I pay the extra for the additive that is available for extra cost. I have torn down many engines that used the cheap gas vs one's using a national branded gas and you see the difference in the engine parts.

Yes, the same trucks will deliver to many different stations and brands but each one has additatives that get put in when the tanker is filled.
Why do you use Mobile 1? if there is no difference in gas then no difference in oil.

Last edited by TEXASRANGER; 11-30-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gordonb50
I'm not an expert on fuel additives, but if I can spend the money for a car like this, what's a few more cents when getting fuel? I'll stick with the Top Tier fuel list.
You are the exact type of person "TopTier Gasoline" is marketing to! You now created an imaginary reason to justify spending a "few extra pennies per gallon". Gasoline is a commodity product, so getting even a small percentage of people to spend a "few extra pennies" per gallon results in MILLIONS OF DOLLARS to the gasoline companies who participate. Millions of gallons of gasoline are sold EVERY day and those pennies add up. Do you think they get on this list for free?

Bad gasoline has nothing to do with detergents or the brand, it has to do with the gas station you are getting it from. Even small amounts of water in the gas will result in severe performance reduction, bad idle, and a host of other problems. Buying from brand name gas stations USUALLY means that the station is well maintained because most brand name stations are OWNED by the production company. They lease out the station to an owner/operator as part of their franchise agreement.

A very good friend of mine was the manager of one of the name-brand gas stations, and used to get pissed because the truck that delivered gas to his station would fill up his tanks and then go the independent station down the street to fill their tanks. Some times they used to sell their gas to the CUSTOMER for less than what he was paying for it, because the spot market price for gas was much lower than the price he was paying his name-brand distributor. How could he sell any gas if it was 10% higher than his competitor? Because of marketing!!! The gas companies spend a lot of money convincing people that their comodity is somehow "different" than everyone elses and worth just a "few extra pennies" more.

Quick Reply: Would u use Costco Gas (Premium)?