C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 03:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Stock muffler mod...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 12:35 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cstapp99
Although I'm far from a broke teenager, I have never lost my sense of value. To me, not a single axle-back exhaust system available for the vette is worth half of what they ask for them.
I agree with that part. Mine came with Dynomax axle-backs, and the sound was fine except for the highway drone. I couldn't justify the cost of Borla or Corsa axle-backs just to solve the drone, and I didn't want to mess with putting in the kit for NPP (car didn't come with it originally). So I reverted to stock. I admit I kind of miss the throaty growl around town, but I definitely love the car more now that it doesn't drone. That was a big-time buzz kill.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:25 PM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by cstapp99
The question doesn't really deserve a response, but I'll bite. Although I'm far from a broke teenager, I have never lost my sense of value. To me, not a single axle-back exhaust system available for the vette is worth half of what they ask for them. That being the case, an easy and visually non-detectable modification to the stock system which costs next to nothing and yields good results was a no-brainer for me.

Now I will say that some of the mods I see are a bit ridiculous. When I bought my car, the previous owner had put chrome mesh inside the fender gills and lined the gills with chrome trim (black car.) That crap had to go.
It was sarcasm. I'm all for the DIY mods. Especially when vendors charge triple because it's for a Vette. There's some vendors on here that sell chicken wire grill mesh inserts for every opening on these cars. Starting at $160(!)
One of my first cars came with three different brands and two different size tires. My current ride was supposed to come with a car cover. Probably on some "technician's" '95 golf, protecting that sweet, sweet spraypaint finish.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Radzilla66
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drilled my stock mufflers with 1 1/8 inch hole saw the other day. All in all not a bad sound. I was surprised at how much louder it became. In the car with the windows up I couldn't hear the exhaust over the engine and road noise before I drilled them. Now I can "hear" the car. Much happier! Can't wait for the temps to go down so I can take the top off.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:39 PM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

yea, did mine years ago..first mod....it's pretty awesome mod for like 60 bucks.

but after a while, you outgrow this mod and need more rumble.....
Old 08-02-2017, 05:13 PM
HammerheadTed
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggie G
yea, did mine years ago..first mod....it's pretty awesome mod for like 60 bucks.

but after a while, you outgrow this mod and need more rumble.....

Still like it at idle and all around really, but wish I could make a lot more sound sometimes. Still one of the best and the cheapest mods I've done to my car.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:09 PM
C6Major07
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for someone to do this mod

Is there anyone close to Nashville TN that can do this mod to my 07 Base I'll buy the parts and pay you.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:57 PM
cstapp99
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Major07
Is there anyone close to Nashville TN that can do this mod to my 07 Base I'll buy the parts and pay you.
If you can operate a drill, you can do this mod yourself in 20 minutes.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:02 AM
Corvette08ls3
Cruising

I have been wondering about this because lately I've been hearing a weird rumble/vibration coming from the rear every time I'm at red light. I have a 2008 auto with tsp long tubes, x pipe, and stock mufflers. I've been having that same setup since last year in March and up till now I haven't had any problems except the weird noise I'm talking about. Do the stock mufflers tend to wear out faster if their equipped with headers and a bigger xpipe??

Last edited by Corvette08ls3; 02-26-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:16 AM
jimy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There’s a spring mount on the exhaust pipe that can rattle. That’s what I’ve found on mine. You got to get it on a lift or the rear wheels on ramps to see it.
The following users liked this post:
Corvette08ls3 (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 06:40 AM
Richard G.
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozone
IMHO...the cheapest exhaust mod is to replace the stock cans with MagnaFlow 14335s (or 14336s). About $87/ea + ~$150 for install. 200% better sound for less than $350.
I did the same with Magnaflows and welded original tips to the new mufflers. Cost was a little under $300.00. I like the sound on my ears. I do have drone but just shift out of that RPM. Mileage dropped but grin mile per hour went way up.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:10 PM
Corvette08ls3
Cruising

Originally Posted by jimy
There’s a spring mount on the exhaust pipe that can rattle. That’s what I’ve found on mine. You got to get it on a lift or the rear wheels on ramps to see it.
So you had the same problem too? And thanks I'll check it out. I've seen that spring mount before and on mine it's holding the xpipe, I assume it's the same for anyone else right? Other than that do you think I should do the muffler mod that's mentioned here or just buy aftermarket mufflers?
Old 02-26-2018, 09:30 PM
jimy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette08ls3
So you had the same problem too? And thanks I'll check it out. I've seen that spring mount before and on mine it's holding the xpipe, I assume it's the same for anyone else right? Other than that do you think I should do the muffler mod that's mentioned here or just buy aftermarket mufflers?
There’s not enough tension on my spring so it rattles. Really annoying. But at least I know it’s not major. Just haven’t got around to fixing it. I did the hole in the muffler mod first. Satisfied for a bit but not long. I ended up with long tube headers, catted H pipe, NPP mufflers and s tune. I think it costs around $2500 installed. The first thing I did was the NPP mufflers. Sounded great open but wanted more after a while. That’s when the headers and H pipe went on. It’s really loud open and nice closed. I did 2 years of research and ended up doing what I was told first. Wish I would have done it when I first got the car. But, $2500 was a gamble I couldn’t afford to lose.
The following users liked this post:
Corvette08ls3 (03-11-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 03:21 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleBst264
An easy and FREE way to gain some exhaust note. Go into the fuse panel under the passenger side floor. Pull out the fuse for the exhaust, and the baffles will stay open.
NPP only.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:50 AM
Corvette08ls3
Cruising

Originally Posted by jimy

There’s not enough tension on my spring so it rattles. Really annoying. But at least I know it’s not major. Just haven’t got around to fixing it. I did the hole in the muffler mod first. Satisfied for a bit but not long. I ended up with long tube headers, catted H pipe, NPP mufflers and s tune. I think it costs around $2500 installed. The first thing I did was the NPP mufflers. Sounded great open but wanted more after a while. That’s when the headers and H pipe went on. It’s really loud open and nice closed. I did 2 years of research and ended up doing what I was told first. Wish I would have done it when I first got the car. But, $2500 was a gamble I couldn’t afford to lose.

Cool thanks man and yeah it was the spring that was loose on mine too but I got that fixed so it should be good now. The next thing I'm going to do is replace my mufflers with an aftermarket set. Other than that I'm getting a weird pulsation on the gas pedal whenever I'm accelerating from 1st gear to 4th gear. I've never had that pulsation before until now so I'm wondering if that's normal or if I should be concerned.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:54 PM
peterbenson
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Long thread but a lot of great info
I went with the punch hole plugs but I will be adding muffler putty and bandage to seal it up

Old 07-31-2018, 07:42 PM
vezePilot
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by valpovetteguy
Ok, so I took the plunge, I will preface this with the fact that I think 400hp is plenty, so i wasn't looking for any HP gain, just make my vette sound like its not a kia, so I did this muffler mod

Tools required:

Drill
1 1/2" Hole Saw
3/4" Hole Saw
8" #8 self tapping screws (I chose hex head)
2 - 2 1/4" round sheet metal patches

Optional:
Zinc primer
flat black paint

On the lift ready to start
Attachment 48159266

Holes Cut, outter hole is a 1 1/2" the inner hole is 3/4"
Attachment 48159267

Patches cut from the bedside of a '09 GMC,

Patches are painted with this

Self tappers being screwed in
Attachment 48159268

Almost done
Attachment 48159269

Scotchbrite
Attachment 48159270

Final step, dupont satin bumper paint matches the stock perfectly
Attachment 48159271

This mod is AWESOME, it cost me nothing, and I personally think it sounds better then many aftermarket exhaust...there is ZERO drone. It is not loud like the stingers or bullets, but its not quiet like stock, best of all its wife approved.

Ease: 1/10 Super easy
Results: 10/10

Hope this helps anyone who is thinking about it.
So I did this mod today, only I used ramps instead of a lift. Works fine if you don't mind lying on the floor. Someone said in this thread years ago that "these are Hot Rodders. Anyone can buy something." Another said it seems like just sticking a playing card in your spokes, and that an adult Corvette owner should buy an aftermarket exhaust. Refer to the comment about Hot Rodders. I'm one who thinks that there is no aftermarket exhaust worth more than a fraction of the asking prices. I am also among those who think that the stock exhaust sound of a C6 is like a Honda Accord ... not like a sports car. The mod is easy, I like it, and something had to be done. My 07 Base A6 is just too quiet. If I get tired of the moderate increase in loudness this provides, I can always save up for a Corsa or whatever. OR ... I can just start drilling more holes.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:31 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Think I am going to try this next. I have an axle back system (NPP, Corsa) on the want list, but if I can get by with this I can look at getting some other things on the list instead (Head Unit, ZR1 Splitter and skirts...) Can't hurt!

Will do a before and after video.

Last edited by SPSandman; 04-25-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock muffler mod...

Old 06-12-2019, 03:44 PM
nobucks
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

nothing gross about sticking a long anything up a tail [ pipe ] LOL
Old 06-12-2019, 03:55 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I did this mod a few years back because I had a C5 that I put the Mid America system on and loved it. I started looking at aftermarket for the C6 and was not sure what I wanted. I knew from experience and a friend who had the Corsa system on his C6 it was not for me. I have listen to a few different exhaust and just cannot make up my mind. this works as a stop gap and I have actually had people ask what system I have. It helps I'm sure that I have the ARH and hi-flo cats.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:04 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

I ended up doing this. It makes it bassier and adds a good bit of gurgle and a bit of pop on deceleration and sounds good at WOT. Not much if any drone. Know some people complain about drone and I am not sure it is the same as when I think of it. I have had drone in cars where it almost resonates through the whole car and gives it an odd vibration along with the sound.

At cruising speed the sound is a bit muffled and is a different tone. Almost like a european sound but definitely not 100% sold on the sound. It is good and differnt but I did it because I am planning on doing a muffler upgrade in the fall/winter to get more of the sound I want.

I have made a couple recordings of the drive, but need to get them online to post here.

Quick Reply: Stock muffler mod...