C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvettes Against Breast Cancer Ride: The Tour For A Cure

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 08:52 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mellow- Yellow
Please don't skip the RRHOF. This was one of the highlights of the trip for us.
Marvin, the R&R HOF is a 3wood from my home. Reexamine your agenda
and perhaps you can fit it in. I'll be glad to make some calls about tours for the group.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:26 AM
VetteramI
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

As of right now, barring unforeseen work requirements, (seems to be a lot of them) count me in. I am due to be off that time.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:23 PM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by VetteramI
As of right now, barring unforeseen work requirements, (seems to be a lot of them) count me in. I am due to be off that time.
Sweet !!! Tell us a little about you...

Send an email to TourForACure@bellsouth.net

Please include the following info in your mail:

Name:
Mailing Address:
Email Address:
Phone #:
Corvette Year / Color:
Passenger: Yes / No
T-Shirt Size (for you and your passenger):
Tour Segments Planning to Participate In:

Marvin
Old 02-25-2008, 12:43 PM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
Marvin, the R&R HOF is a 3wood from my home. Reexamine your agenda
and perhaps you can fit it in. I'll be glad to make some calls about tours for the group.

It's only 235 miles or 4 hours or so from Canton to Buffalo (our next stop after Canton). Our schedule is flexible on this leg as we plan to take the full day to get to Buffalo. I think that we should have plenty of time to do the Football Hall, the Rock and Roll Hall, and visit with you for lunch, and still reach Buffalo well before dark.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Is there any chance of ending in Florida. Orlando or Sattelite Beach by chance? Maybe a stop there?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:45 PM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by NavyC4S
Is there any chance of ending in Florida. Orlando or Sattelite Beach by chance? Maybe a stop there?

The trip is originating in metro-Atlanta. There are, however three cars coming up from the Lake Mary/Orlando area. Those cars are making the round trip. So if you join us, you can make your final leg from Atlanta to Orlando with the guys that are coming up from Lake Mary.

Love the Avatar by the way

Marvin
Old 02-25-2008, 07:50 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by MHFontaine
The trip is originating in metro-Atlanta. There are, however three cars coming up from the Lake Mary/Orlando area. Those cars are making the round trip. So if you join us, you can make your final leg from Atlanta to Orlando with the guys that are coming up from Lake Mary.

Love the Avatar by the way

Marvin
Thank you, I sent you a PM. Someone has got to save the boobies
Old 02-25-2008, 08:02 PM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by NavyC4S
Thank you, I sent you a PM. Someone has got to save the boobies
http://www.savethetatas.com/
Old 02-25-2008, 08:56 PM
NavyC4S
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by MHFontaine
I dropped them a line to get the ball rolling. I'll pass them on to you and see how we can help eachother. Shirts, decals, stuff like that.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:26 PM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05

Are you participating in the Tour? If so, we'd like you to register. Registration is free, we just need you to Send an email with the information below to TourForACure@bellsouth.net

Name:
Mailing Address:
Email Address:
Phone #:
Corvette Year / Color:
Passenger: Yes / No
T-Shirt Size (for you and your passenger):
Tour Segments Planning to Participate In:

Got questions? Post 'em here or send an email to TourForACure@bellsouth.net
Old 02-29-2008, 06:33 PM
johnkinsley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bowling Green Plant Tour

I thought I read somewhere that we would be arriving in BG in time for the last plant tour on Friday, May 23. (Not sure if it was with the Tour for the Cure or with the CF Cruise In)

According to the plant website, there are no tours on May 23. Did you know what's up with this? Did you secure a private tour of the plant for us?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:26 PM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by johnkinsley
I thought I read somewhere that we would be arriving in BG in time for the last plant tour on Friday, May 23. (Not sure if it was with the Tour for the Cure or with the CF Cruise In)

According to the plant website, there are no tours on May 23. Did you know what's up with this? Did you secure a private tour of the plant for us?
Dang it !!! Didn't set up anything special at the factory. Last year the plant was open for tours on the Friday before the long weekend so I expected the same thing this time. Oh well, I guess that gives us more time to check in and hang out with our Forum buds
Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 PM
BIG ATLANTA
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 77 Posts

Marvin can something be set up?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

In one of the first set of itineraries I saw BG being on the return trip to Atlanta. What happened to that, was there some large function at the same time we would be arriving?
Old 03-02-2008, 01:44 PM
BIG ATLANTA
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 77 Posts

The original route had us going up the coast towards Boston across towards Ohio and back down towards Atlanta. With the Holiday traffic we figured this route would be congested and boring. Going to Bowling Green first allowed us to catch some of the festivities there as well, a little more interesting and a heck of a lot less traffic/
Old 03-02-2008, 05:59 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

I can't get your web site - something wrong?

How is the search for corporate assistance to help with lodging/gas/etc. coming along? The price of gas now days may sabotage this event.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes Against Breast Cancer Ride: The Tour For A Cure

Old 03-14-2008, 08:20 PM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Phantom II
I can't get your web site - something wrong?

How is the search for corporate assistance to help with lodging/gas/etc. coming along? The price of gas now days may sabotage this event.
WOW, thanks for alerting us that the site was down...I’ve been really busy at work the last few days and haven’t gone to the site recently, so I wasn’t aware. Not to worry though, our webmaster is looking at it right now. I’m sure the site will be back up shortly. I’ll post an update here when the site is back up.

Updates
I was waiting to post a more complete update when all the details were final, but since you asked, here is what I can tell you now:

Pre-Flight Check
We have a verbal commitment from a local (Atlanta-area) Chevy dealership to provide us with a “pre-flight check” of our cars before we leave for the Tour; basic multi-point inspections and labor for any needed oil changes. Another vendor has committed to provide us with the oil for any needed oil changes. I’ll post the dealer name and oil vendors when the verbal’s become final.

In-Car Communications
We’ve got a commitment from a national cellular retailer to provide us with car-to-car communications using one of their push to talk handsets configured with their nationwide direct connect service. When we get the devices, I’ll post our group-talk information so those of you (with like hand-sets) not going on the Tour can listen in or communicate with us along the way if you like.

Meals
So far, McDonalds, Chick-Fil-A, and Checkers (Rally’s) have provided us with coupons for discounted or free meals at their restaurants along the way. The Atlanta CSA Foundation members will be visiting local restaurants on 3/16/08 to pick up the coupons and take part in a couple of photo-opp’s (I’ll post those here when where done). We are currently seeking sponsorship from other restaurants as well.

If any of you out there in Corvette Forum-land have any connections for discount or free meals along our route and would like to help, please contact me right away. The CSA Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) charitable organization so donations are tax deductible.

Lodging
As far as lodging goes, we’re finding that it is a real challenge to get the managers of any hotel chain to bite on free rooms. About the best we can do there is get a modest discount on nightly stays. Here’s what we have so far:

Bowling Green - Baymont Inn: Forget about it. Our first night stay there is right in the middle of CF Cruise In. I think we were offered $5 off the cost of the room. Now that $5 off was given to us by the reservation desk personnel. We need to speak with the manager directly to see if we can get a better deal there. $95/night

Canton, OH – Red Roof Inn: King $53.59 / Double $58.99 /night

Buffalo, NY – work in progress (probably Days Inn)

Portland, ME – work in progress

Hershey, PA – work in progress

Roanoke, VA – Super 8 Motel: $42/night

If any of you out there in Corvette Forum-land have any connections for discount lodging and would like to help, please contact me right away. The CSA Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) charitable organization so donations are tax deductible.

Fuel
Now here’s the biggie. We do in fact have a verbal commitment from a national chain to provide us with “some” gas cards the round-trip Tour participants. The details are still somewhat loose, so I can’t say much more than that. We’re still working through this one, when it becomes final, you can bet I’ll be shouting it from the rafters

You mentioned that “the price of gas may sabotage this event.” I can tell you don’t know the PaceSetters or the CSA Foundation We say what we do, and do what we say We’re committed to the cause – Breast Cancer Awareness and Prevention – and to the Tour.

Gas prices were an issue when we drove across country to Las Vegas in 2005. That’s my old C5 in the pic below. Prices were $2.13 in Atlanta when we left and $2.96 out west (seems funny how we thought prices were really high in 2005 – wish those prices were here now).

We were committed then, we are just as committed now. If I have to go by myself, the Tour will happen !!!

Marvin

Last edited by MHFontaine; 03-14-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

My apologies if I offended you. It's just we haven't heard much for a couple weeks. Great update.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:05 PM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05

Not offended at all...Just ready for May 23rd to get here. I'm ready to go gonna be a blast !!!

Quick Reply: Corvettes Against Breast Cancer Ride: The Tour For A Cure