C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many bring Mobil 1 to Jiffylube or similar?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:55 PM
jbailey895
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How many bring Mobil 1 to Jiffylube or similar?

OK, it hurts to pay a hunsky for a simple oil change. Costco has 6 qts of 5w30 for $29. I presume I can get a Mobil 1 filter for cheap at a Kragen or something. I was thinking I'd just bring it to a cheapo quickie oil change. . . anyone had good/bad experiences with this?
Thanx,
joel
Old 02-12-2008, 11:03 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by jbailey895
OK, it hurts to pay a hunsky for a simple oil change. Costco has 6 qts of 5w30 for $29. I presume I can get a Mobil 1 filter for cheap at a Kragen or something. I was thinking I'd just bring it to a cheapo quickie oil change. . . anyone had good/bad experiences with this?
Thanx,
joel
No way Jiffy Lube will touch my car! I'll change it myself.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:08 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joel,

You will find most of us do our own oil change and work as we don't trust our cars with strangers and mostly incompetent parts changers. I would never allow someone from Jiffy Lube to touch my car.

Buy the oil at least 6 quarts and the oil filter, WIX has the best write up but is hard to find. Race Ramps or Rhino Ramps with an adapter to get the car up without jacking and do the change yourself. Good to understand your car and you will find working on your car can be fun.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:08 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I don't / wouldn't use them. Have heard bad stories and some good. I think most are independently owned and operated so they vary greatly. If you are intent on using one I suggest you check them out carefully before you trust your vette to them. Some are staffed by car guys who know what is going on and may be willing to work with you. Good luck but I think most of us would rather see you do it yourself.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 PM
PappyTinker
Melting Slicks

Location: Life ain't no dress rehearsal, are you gonna wait to get your toys til AFTER you have a heart attack?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one I checked told me that they charge 39.95 + tax, regardless of whether you bring your own oil and filter or not. I use Amsoil, take the oil and filter to the dealer, they charge me 14.95 and still check the other fluids for me.

By the way, they allow me to watch the tech and he does a superb job; uses my pucks, puts the pucks and oil bottles back in the box I brought them in and hands them back to me when he's done.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 PM
1cheesecake
Racer

If you are going to buy the Oil and Filter why not change it yourself??

I won't even take my company car to Jiffy Lube!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:14 PM
IrishMac
Moderator Emeritus

Gone, but not Forgotten
Cruise-In 5, 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

I bring my own oil and filter to the local Valvoline Quick Change outlet, and they treat my Vette like it's a queen. They won't start it, insist I watch when they change the oil. They let it drain for 10 minutes, let it run for a couple of minutes after the refill, and then recheck the level. They won't even get in the car...saying they don't want to get it dirty.

And they only charge me $20.00. Worth it imo. You just have to find a place you trust, which may be hard to do.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Pruettfan
Racer

I know of two cases in which one of the quick lube places failed to tighten plugs resulting in engine failure. My wife brought our Murano to one of these places and they put the wrong size fiter on, they forced it on to get it sealed. I discovered it when I had to tear the thing apart to get it off. My other beef is they take the air fiter out of the car regardless of how many miles on it to show you and try and get you to buy another one. I guess the short way of saying this is no way ever. Many GM dealers have quick lube lanes, if you don't want to do it take it there.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 PM
VETTAMOUS
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14

they have the good oil but they dont stock the good oil filters. bring the filter if you dont change your own. find a place that you can watch every move and tell them you tip well ahead of time to be extra careful.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 PM
GunKata
Pro

DO NOT go to Jiffy Lube. EVER.

I've worked in insurance for over 10years and have been involved with them in claims and personally known people that have had claims against them.

If they do not do your oil change correctly - lets say, do not tighten the bolt well enough, or lets say they use the wrong filter - anything goes wrong. You are in for a ride, my friend.

Your engine seizes the day or two after you got it changed. They WILL try to deny your claim, saying that anything could have happened in those few days. They have even denied a nun's claim ( I used to work for a Christian Insurance organization as well). A friend/co-worker of mine's car seized the next day - completely their fault, 3 or 4 months later, I think she got about 90% of what it really cost her for the engine replacement, and still didn't get all of her rental car covered. It was clearly their fault. This poor woman was literally calling them every day for months.

Jiffy Lube will run from their mistakes - remember, their mechanics are typically young kids in auto mechanic school, if you're lucky!!!

I go to the dealers now for oil changes - I figure, a few extra bucks here, some good insurance, and mostly often a good handling of any possible problems that would arise from a bad oil change.

I cannot stress enough, do not go to Jiffy Lube.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:23 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Joel,

Here is a suggestion if you are not mechanically inclined then try and join a local Corvette Club and ask if they can arrange a tech session for a DIY oil change on your car. You will find that these clubs can save you a lot of money as they are some very mechanically inclined members.

But believe me you can do it, if need be we can guide you through the process.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:29 PM
scoaman
Racer

After they messed up my company car, I wouldn't bring my daily driver to them for anything!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:01 AM
SpankUU
Drifting

Originally Posted by johnodrake
No way Jiffy Lube will touch my car! I'll change it myself.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:18 AM
Victoryred 08
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Took my C5 to our local Chevy dealer. Brought my Mobil 1 and had them change oil and use one of their AC/DELCO filters. Did a very good job and also let me watch. Charged $19.95. Not bad. I'll be doing the oil changes on my 08, it's fun..............
Old 02-13-2008, 01:20 AM
PMD C6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jiffy Lube??? Yeah, I don't think so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI
Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

Originally Posted by HawaiiC6
Joel,

You will find most of us do our own oil change and work as we don't trust our cars with strangers and mostly incompetent parts changers. I would never allow someone from Jiffy Lube to touch my car.
100%
Old 02-13-2008, 01:38 AM
V Amazed
Racer

i went to a Kwik Car in dallas, but they turned me down because my front plastic valance wouldn't clear the bay.

Get notified of new replies

To How many bring Mobil 1 to Jiffylube or similar?

Old 02-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd take it to the dealership before I'd use a 'quick lube' place. Although, I've had some disappointing experiences with independent mechanics, there are some decent one's. Maybe someone could recommend a good independent shop for you? Ultimately, I suggest you learn to change your own oil....it's not difficult.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:59 AM
FredSM
Drifting

After re-tapping a stripped drain plug on a beetle many moons ago courtesy of Jiffy Lube, I do my own oil. Must admit, though, my wife does take her soccermobile there on occasion.

FM
Old 02-13-2008, 09:06 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

I take my oil and filter to a nearby Jiffy lube. They give me a couple dollars off. I hover over them every step of the way and guide them on how I want it done. I even get down and make sure they let the old oil drain out completly and I check the magnetic plug for shavings, and pre fill new filter for them. They have never said anything to me, they are happy to comply because they are impressed with the car. If they did give me a hard time Ill just take it somewhere else in a minute. So far they do out of their way to keep me satisfied.

Quick Reply: How many bring Mobil 1 to Jiffylube or similar?