C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If your tuner locks his tunes it voids your warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:43 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering if you all are referring to a new type of smog test? In NOVA I've been through smog test as long as I can remember, and they always put a test sniffer up the tailpipe, and a clamp on the spark plug wire, now they put it on a dyno wheel so they can run it in drive. I've never seen them hook up to the OBD-II port. But, if the previous poster meant that there are new tests coming, then I question if the locked tune would allow the test to run period, not if the exhaust was blowing poor levels.

I don't think a tune will fail a smog test for exhaust readings, unless the tune was way off. I've never failed an emissions test including various cars, various tunes, hiflow cats, or different CAIs. As long as your exhaust readings were ok, they haven't cared what you had done.

Last edited by CodyC6; 02-15-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:49 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way too many of ya'll are looking for that perfect blanket policy that says wether or not your warranty will be voided if you mod. While GM might have a policy, there is only one person that makes this decision....the service manager. he has the power to ok or deny your claim.

If you are planning to mod your car, go to the local dealer and talk to the service manager and see what he can do for you. Mine is an avid racer (drives pro mod) and is cool with headers/tune/other bolt-ons. He stressed no internal work and no nitrous. Simple. Some are strict by the book and some aren't.

I am confident that if i have trouble even in the powertrain that I am covered.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:54 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bent
Way too many of ya'll are looking for that perfect blanket policy that says wether or not your warranty will be voided if you mod. While GM might have a policy, there is only one person that makes this decision....the service manager. he has the power to ok or deny your claim.

If you are planning to mod your car, go to the local dealer and talk to the service manager and see what he can do for you. Mine is an avid racer (drives pro mod) and is cool with headers/tune/other bolt-ons. He stressed no internal work and no nitrous. Simple. Some are strict by the book and some aren't.

That confidence will last right up to the moment that the zone rep for GM gets wind of your manager's "coolness." Your manager is breaking GM policy, and he knows it. If you think for one minute that he is going to stand behind you if/when GM comes to scream at him, then I wish you all the best.

Personally, I think it's silly to have to count on the "coolness" of your service department - either you accept the fact that messing with your Vette screws your warranty or you don't. Your choice.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:57 PM
C6XTACY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bent

I guess you have a point in that. I can't really see voiding a warranty which bolt ons. That would be virtually voiding one out because you no longer have factory rims . But I guess anything IS possible nowadays.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:58 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyC6
I'm wondering if you all are referring to a new type of smog test?

YES

I've never seen them hook up to the OBD-II port. But, if the previous poster meant that there are new tests coming,

YES

then I question if the locked tune would allow the test to run period, not if the exhaust was blowing poor levels.

CORRECT...If no test can proceed period, you flunk.

I don't think a tune will fail a smog test for exhaust readings, unless the tune was way off. I've never failed an emissions test including various cars, various tunes, hiflow cats, or different CAIs. As long as your exhaust readings were ok, they haven't cared what you had done.
This is true...but to pass the new OBD tests, you must also have a oem stock tune . Now your stock tune starts throwing Check Engine Light codes. You flunk for that too, even if your emissions are OK.

Last edited by siffert; 02-15-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:58 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vito.A
You really don't have to remove your headers for a smog inspection.
Really? And, when the guy happens to stick his head under the hood and sees the headers? Unless he's just a brain dead chimp, he'll spot the headers (or hear them as you drive into the test area).

I love this - the very same people who bit*h and moan EVERY time they think some "money grubbing" dealer or mechanic is out to screw them out of a nickel are the ones in here now advocating how to break the law or screw over GM on a warranty repair!

Amazing. Allow me to vomit a little in my mouth.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:00 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1st_Vette
I guess you have a point in that. I can't really see voiding a warranty which bolt ons. That would be virtually voiding one out because you no longer have factory rims . But I guess anything IS possible nowadays.
You got it - let's say you bolt on a new set of rims and your rotors go bad or your brakes act up. Now, maybe the new rims were a part of that or maybe not. GM could easily say you put something onto the car that we didn't at the factory, so why do you expect us to pay for the repair? I'm not saying GM would go to that extreme, but they could. You should be prepared to pay if you're going to mod. Period.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:09 PM
C6XTACY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MNVette
You got it - let's say you bolt on a new set of rims and your rotors go bad or your brakes act up. Now, maybe the new rims were a part of that or maybe not. GM could easily say you put something onto the car that we didn't at the factory, so why do you expect us to pay for the repair? I'm not saying GM would go to that extreme, but they could. You should be prepared to pay if you're going to mod. Period.

Sickening how true that is if you have an open mind.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:13 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
.For best results, consider working with performance-oriented dealerships with a proven history of working with customers. .]
!!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:23 PM
C6XTACY
Burning Brakes

I would love to do that, if I was still in VA. But, now I'm out here in San Diego and getting ready to move to Lemoore-I have to start the search all over again. I'm kinda glad I stumbled across this thread, as I was about to put in some serious work on my C6 once I got the Lemoore for good in March. I know it was only a few years ago, but when I got my '99 Eclipse GS-T, I had everything literally except the seats, dash, and body modded within two weeks, and somehow still had a warranty when the synchros in my transmission just decided to say **** it. Then again, I did only pay 11,000 for it.

My C6 however was 46,000. I'm willing to bet my left *** cheek that GM would have a closer, more trained eye on their investments. Not to mention, California is the bastard state. I just need to answer if goals>potential hassle at this point.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:32 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by siffert
This is true...but to pass the new OBD tests, you must also have a oem stock tune . Now your stock tune starts throwing Check Engine Light codes. You flunk for that too, even if your emissions are OK.
Do you know where we can find info that says the car has to have an OEM tune for the OBDII smog test? I just read up on the system for two states that have that system, but it only says it is to read problem codes, and whether your MIL check engine light is functional. It is a simple way for them to verify you haven't thrown any codes for the emission system.

I know with a locked program, we are still able to use our scan tools to read our check engine codes, etc., so I would like to verify they are also testing for OEM programs. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:40 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default One Thing I'd Like To Make Very Clear.

Hey Guys...

Let me start by saying that for anyone who wishes to know THE REAL STORY about tuning or computer locking...YOU CAN CALL ME ANY TIME AND I'LL EXPLAIN it to you in it's entirety.

Unfortunately, the internet is cluttered with "opinions" and mostly unintelligent banter by the small handful whose only purpose for posting the "locking" garbage is to attempt to steer business away from my business.

If you surf this forum, and this thread in particular, you will notice that there are three usernames which continually pop up on this site and others continually posting the same incorrect information while at the same time directly or indirectly implying that you should not get tuned by "Chuck CoW" because he locks his tunes. They do not target other tuners and it is evident by the pattern of posting (if you investigate their posting history) that these posts are not legitimate in nature, but by design repeatedly, directly, and intentionally attempt to discredit what I do and take business away from Corvettes of Westchester.

The fact is that I am the authority on topics like this and be wise not to digest too much of the garbage posted on internet forums most especially info posted by those whose sole intention is to run me out of business.

While I'm in the business of tuning corvettes, I'm prepared to offer anyone with legitimate questions or concerns regarding the topics presented herein a full and complete, unbiased explanation of what it is we do and why. I'm prepared to answer ANY questions you might have.....ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CALL ME @ 914-332-0049 anytime.

Forgive me for not contributing to this thread or answering questions herein as I'm tired of this and I've posted many times on this forum regarding the "pcm locking".

For anyone who cares to investigate, you will find many pages of information in this site and rest assured, if I posted it....it's legit.

The truth is that I do actually make it optional to lock computers after I tune them and after explaining the options to my customers..Most everyone asks me to Lock them...

If you know how it works, why we do it, and what your options are....In most cases it's your best option.

As for the clowns that pursue me from forum to forum taking every opportunity to discredit what I do and do nothing more than confuse those of you that try to sort through all this garbage.....Some of them have been "banned for life" today....Others will follow if they keep it up.

Unfortunately, The exact same thing happened to me on another forum last night and by now, the same offenders have been banned.

By their behavior, it makes it easier to see what their agenda really is and where the truth lies.

Make informed decisions....with credible information.

STAY TUNED! (and locked )
Chuck CoW
Old 02-15-2008, 01:44 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default This is absolutely UNTRUE.

Originally Posted by siffert

This is absolutely UNTRUE. Another example for totally wrong information.

Most of the nation adopted the IM240 inspection program in 1996 with the advent of OBDII and CAN protocol vehicles.

I have tuned and locked THOUSANDS of computers in the last bunch of years and EVERY SINGLE vehicle has passed it's state exam in every state of the union since then.

Doncha think that If people were failing their inspections because of locked or tuned vehicles we would hear about it by now???

Sheesh....When will it end?
Chuck CoW
Old 02-15-2008, 01:45 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ITS ABSOLUTELY TRUE-ITS BRAND NEW OBDII Software

Do you know where we can find info that says the car has to have an OEM tune for the OBDII smog test? I just read up on the system for two states that have that system, but it only says it is to read problem codes, and whether your MIL check engine light is functional. It is a simple way for them to verify you haven't thrown any codes for the emission system.

I know with a locked program, we are still able to use our scan tools to read our check engine codes, etc., so I would like to verify they are also testing for OEM programs. Thanks.
Try contacting member AU N EGL...he says North Carolina is one of the first states to soon have
THE UPCOMING NEW SOFTWARE with the OEM tune:

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
the NEW OBDII software for cities and counties that require smog testing, will have that ability very soon.

The new OBDII software will first determain if the tune is stock or has been modified. If the tune has been modified the OBD computer will check its data base to see if the Manufacture as supplied a stock tune to the OBDII software company, then the computer will reflash YOUR tune to stock. Then run the diagnostic too check for codes. Plus put a note in that cars DMV file that the tune was changed.

If a OBD computer does not have a copy of the manufactures tune it will red flag your car, and your car will fail. Then you have to get a retune to stock and retest your car.

Unfortunitly my state of North Carolina will be one of the first states to have it. So off to the tuner BEFORE the OBDII emissions test in May then back to the tuner to retune after the emission inspection

What a PIA

I like that Duramax diesel puter. To bad they dont get inspected.
I thought about the Bosch Motorsports Sport PCM that can hold multiple tunes, but $5,000 for the economy model was a bit out side my budget
I dont have to worry about it for awhile. Where I live, you get a "free 4 year stay out of smog jail card" when you buy a new car and you dont have to go to the smog police station until 4 years after purchase. I got my my own HP Tuner(so no locked tunes) and worse case scenario I can take off my headers and put back my stock manifold/cats on in less than 2 hours. Good luck.

Last edited by siffert; 02-15-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

".Some of them have been "banned for life" today....Others will follow if they keep it up."

wow, there's a lotta peop posting on this thread. you mean many or most could be banned? gonna be a pretty empty place if that occurs....
Old 02-15-2008, 01:55 PM
C6XTACY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
This is absolutely UNTRUE. Another example for totally wrong information.

Most of the nation adopted the IM240 inspection program in 1996 with the advent of OBDII and CAN protocol vehicles.

I have tuned and locked THOUSANDS of computers in the last bunch of years and EVERY SINGLE vehicle has passed it's state exam in every state of the union since then.

Doncha think that If people were failing their inspections because of locked or tuned vehicles we would hear about it by now???

Sheesh....When will it end?
Chuck CoW
That is a very valid point. I don't know the whole deal about the locking, nor will I act like I do. Hell, I don't even know which intake I'm gonna get yet , but I digress.

I see it like this, if you want to get a tune, but don't want to get the PCM locked. The tuners' next words should be: "Roger that, not a problem". You say that you give the driver that option. And if that's true, I don't see what the issue is, excuse me if I'm being blind on that matter. However, if the tuner says he doesn't want to keep it unlocked or whatever, and you get the locked tune anyway, you don't have the right to be pissy with the tuner if you KNEW it was going to be locked, and didn't want it.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:12 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
If you surf this forum, and this thread in particular, you will notice that there are three usernames which continually pop up on this site and others continually posting the same incorrect information while at the same time directly or indirectly implying that you should not get tuned by "Chuck CoW" because he locks his tunes. They do not target other tuners and it is evident by the pattern of posting (if you investigate their posting history) that these posts are not legitimate in nature, but by design repeatedly, directly, and intentionally attempt to discredit what I do and take business away from Corvettes of Westchester.

The fact is that I am the authority on topics like this and be wise not to digest too much of the garbage posted on internet forums most especially info posted by those whose sole intention is to run me out of business.
I've been reading this entire thread, and I don't see anyone bashing a particular tuner. Aren't we being just a little paranoid?

As for "banning" a poster because they are saying things you disagree with, well that's smacks a little of Stalin's Soviet Union, doesn't it? I understand being angry with someone stating falsehoods, but if their opinion disagrees with yours, well, that's America, isn't it?

As for the ORIGINAL purpose of the thread, again, locked or unlocked is irrelevant. Who cares? The real issue is whether or not a tune will get you into trouble come warranty-claim time. I think even Chuck would agree that the answer to that is a resounding YES.

Get notified of new replies

To If your tuner locks his tunes it voids your warranty

Old 02-15-2008, 02:19 PM
C6XTACY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MNVette
As for the ORIGINAL purpose of the thread, again, locked or unlocked is irrelevant. Who cares? The real issue is whether or not a tune will get you into trouble come warranty-claim time.
Ah, I think I get it now. It's my fault for losing the keyword "warranty" when a couple of posts only talked about locking tunes and warranty.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:25 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I'm wondering if you all are referring to a new type of smog test? In NOVA I've been through smog test as long as I can remember, and they always put a test sniffer up the tailpipe, and a clamp on the spark plug wire, now they put it on a dyno wheel so they can run it in drive. I've never seen them hook up to the OBD-II port.
My last three checks in NoVa have been by OBDII port -- no sniffer, no engine compartment connections. Just a VIN chec, a (very fast) visual, and start the computer and run the car. The only additional bit is to insert an instrumented gas cap for propery vapor recovery operational check (again, via the OBDII port code output).
Old 02-15-2008, 02:28 PM
autox c6
Racer

Originally Posted by Vito.A
You can use a small OBD2 scanner to clear the codes just before the check. Actually, it is wise to clear the codes on any car just before the check to assure passing.
No, this does not work. I found out the hard way that they can tell if the codes have been recently cleared. I learned this when taking my wife's turbocharged RX-8 in for emissions testing.

Quick Reply: If your tuner locks his tunes it voids your warranty