C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel wobble

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:48 PM
C6CorvetteZ51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wheel wobble

I recently got some factory reproduction z06 motosport wheels. I took them to discount tire and asked them before mounting them to run them separately on the tire balancer to see if they were decent wheels. The guy ends up coming to me and telling to that 3 of the 4 wheels wobble. I went back to look with them and he had the 20X11 mounted up and spun it with just his hands. Well sure enough, the inside (medial aspect) of the wheel seemed to be wobbling up and down quite a bit. Even though the bolted side of the wheel seems fine. A factory reproduction guy on the phone tells me the all wheels wobble a bit, even brand new ones from GM. The guy at discount tire said all the wheels they put of cars don't wobble like that and said i should send em back. So who is telling me correct?
This brings up another problem, Since i hit a curb i have been having noises on the right side of my car. I took it to gm service shop who checked the car itself and said it was the tires or the wheels. The discount tire guy put my right back stock wheel and tire on the balancer. He again showed me that the medial part of the wheel was moving a bit. He said that the wheel must be bent and that that is what was causing the noise which i only hear above 60 MPH not less. He said the chunk of rubber that got scraped off the sidewall as well, isn't causing any problems.
So if basically seems like somebody is telling me the wrong info. Either factory repro owes me some decent rims, or discount tire owes me some new tires (i have full coverage on them). At first i believed the discount tire guy, since i thought the wheels not being true was cheap. But, since my own factory wheel that hit the curb and did the same thing, I'm not so sure. I felt before going to discount tire, that i didn't bend my wheel. I have always felt it was the tire, since i didn't notice any harsh road noise till only after 60 MPH.
Anybody have experience in this? I really would hate to get ripped off cause i didn't know
Old 02-17-2008, 03:33 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Listen to the Discount Tire guy. All wheels have a little runout, but it shouldn't be enough to be noticeable with the naked eye. In other words, you should need a dial indicator to detect it. If you can see the wobble with your bare eyes, then the wheel is either defective or damaged.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:36 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by shopdog
Listen to the Discount Tire guy. All wheels have a little runout, but it shouldn't be enough to be noticeable with the naked eye. In other words, you should need a dial indicator to detect it. If you can see the wobble with your bare eyes, then the wheel is either defective or damaged.

That about sums it up. Listen to this man, he knows.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:15 PM
C6CorvetteZ51
Instructor

ok that makes sense to me. So are all reproduction wheels this low quality? Would this wobble cause propblems like the loud road noise i hear from the stock ones i may have bent? i see many people with these reproduction wheels and never said they had problems
Old 02-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm having trouble following some of this but what motive would Discount Tire have for falsely telling you the repro rims are defective? They know you'd exchange them from the manufacturer (or the vendor you purchased them from) and you would not be buying replacement wheels from them. I'm no expert but from what I've seen most wheels and tires spin fairly true...you saw it for yourself.

The damaged sidewall might not be causing the noise but I don't know that I'd want to drive a runflat (or any tire) with a large chunk gouged out of the sidewall.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

I put a set of ZO6 Factory Repro's on my vert. They took less weight to balance than the OEM's. They spun true.
There is definitely a problem with your wheels. Send them back.
I had a set of Ansen mags years back that had one defective wheel.
It does happen. Hey! The Factory Repro's are made in China!
Old 02-17-2008, 08:40 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Fcal
I put a set of ZO6 Factory Repro's on my vert. They took less weight to balance than the OEM's. They spun true.
There is definitely a problem with your wheels. Send them back.
I had a set of Ansen mags years back that had one defective wheel.
It does happen. Hey! The Factory Repro's are made in China!
Yup, and the Ansen wheels were made where? And they had a wobble, too?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 PM
C6CorvetteZ51
Instructor

Ty for the input. Yea i was just getting some more opinions. i got the factory repro to send me 3 new wheels that same day. Sucks it takes two weeks to get here. I believed the tire guy about the wheels being crappy. I wanted to know if i could believe him that the wobble is what was causing the noise. Their motive would be to save from refunding money for 2 tires i messed up. So many opinions seem to agree that Factory Reproductions simply lied to me about the wheels. Funny thing is the boss at factory repro told the guy i was talking to to tell me to just send them back, he didn't want to even try to make it right.

Get notified of new replies

To wheel wobble

Quick Reply: wheel wobble