C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging 160 T Stat engineers

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 12:54 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you.....

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
The mistake made all the time is to think about the tstat operation as a static process. Put a tstat in a pot of boiling water and, of course it will open at the designated temp unless it is defective.

In operation, the dynamics are different. When the tstat is closed holding water in the engine block and temps rise to the opening temp of the tstat, think about what is on the other side of the tstat. Colder coolant. So, the minute the tstat cracks open, it cools enough to close again. This happens over and over. If you are not fighting the usual deficiencies such as a dirty radiator poor or non function fans and most importantly, 100*+ air temps, the system can keep overall coolant temps lower with a 160 than a 187.
Thank you..... You get it....

For everyone else.... Dropping a stat into a pot of boiling water JUST SIMPLY DELLS YOU IF IT'S WORKING OR NOT and

in no way are you to use this information to try to understand how it works.

I have made MANY lengthy threads and posts on this forum on this very topic.

For those out there that still don't get it..... There's just simply too much here for you to understand about how and why.....

and no, YOU DONT get it..... still.

SO, the purpose of this forum is for you people to get FREE INFORMATION from guys like me that have done this (successfully)

for a reason 10s of thousands of times....

Forget what you think you know... (clearly not intended to insult anyone here) but please let a guy like me that

does know and understand.....and does it practically over and over all week long..... Give you FREE advice you can hang your hat on.

Don't over think this.
Chuck CoW
Old 08-11-2017, 02:41 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

People have to STOP boiling their thermostats in a pot of water on the stove!....Boil Lobsters instead....or frogs....
Old 08-11-2017, 02:48 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I understand how a 160 would help in moderate temps. But here in Texas in summer the cooling sestem is over tasked and a 160 stat won't help. Only a larger/more efficient rad. Am I correct?

At 80 degrees yes, at 100+ nope.

Just for clarification water temp is measured in the motor not at the rad, right. I think it is drivers side front.

Last edited by wayback; 08-11-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:53 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
People have to STOP boiling their thermostats in a pot of water on the stove!....Boil Lobsters instead....or frogs....
Frogs are made to be fried.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:05 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
I understand how a 160 would help in moderate temps. But here in Texas in summer the cooling sestem is over tasked and a 160 stat won't help. Only a larger/more efficient rad. Am I correct?

At 80 degrees yes, at 100+ nope.
Let's consider a completely stock C6:

Keep in mind how engineering is going to design a coolant system. They need to consider the coldest and hottest possible operating temps. When the system is in completely new/fresh condition it is designed to operate in these windows. Where is possibly the hottest place on earth to beta test the design?....pretty much where you live....or I live. So, yes, 80* is a cake walk.

Still, if you maintain the coolant system in peak condition since you live in one of the extreme ends of operation, theoretically you should be fine. Fine means you shouldn't find yourself on the side of the road stranded BC the cooling system failed. It might show some higher numbers than someone in Canada, but should still function on 187* stat.

Also remember how much stress the system is under on a 100* plus day. At speed, You're trying to cool the radiator with air forced through the radiator while driving. That air is 100*...but that's not all. Remember what's right in front of the radiator, blocking all that 100* air. The air con condenser. Are you running the air con in 100*? If yes, what's happening to the condenser sitting in front of the radiator? It's expelling HOT AIR from the cabin. So the radiator is fighting to keep coolant cool in 100*+. Throw a fan behind the radiator to try to help, but it fights the same blockage on the other side of the rad and 100* air temps too.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:10 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

My cam is in and I just had the car dyno tuned. Just got it back today.

I forgot to do a lower temp thermostat. Would I see worse performance if I installed a 160 tstat and didn't retune. I never even considered that being a possibility.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:07 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default It would benefit you to install a 160.....

Originally Posted by doomi
My cam is in and I just had the car dyno tuned. Just got it back today.

I forgot to do a lower temp thermostat. Would I see worse performance if I installed a 160 tstat and didn't retune. I never even considered that being a possibility.
It would benefit you to install a 160.....

Chuck CoW
Old 08-11-2017, 11:29 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

I have a 180 with fan control and i don't want my engine running to cold.We are in the 100 degrees + now and my coolant temp runs in the high 190s,but what we should worry about is the oil temp and tranny temp(Auto).I have never seen my tranny temp above 160 and that is not good if you want to do a short wot run.

Quick Reply: Paging 160 T Stat engineers