C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock Pick problem? Buyer Beware!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Lock Pick problem? Buyer Beware!!

[Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAR View Post
Hi,
Does anyone know which is the best Ipod interface to connect on a vette with navigation. My intent is to have the commands on the touch screen.
*I went to the dealership where I bought the car and was told that a couple which were installed were draining the battery of the car. I do not want that to happen. If anyone has had a good experience please share.
Thanks]

I just had that happen to me... The Lock Pick! Installed it, came out to a dead battery the next morning! Dealer(stealer) charged me a couple hundred to find this($110/ diagnosis times 2 days!) It happened over the weekend(installed Saturday) Sunday morning(dead battery) I'm thinking the problem is with the battery, my car's two y/o, so I go and buy a Yellow Top Optima for $100 plus which it turns out I didn't need! I've tried to contact them and got no response. I read on another forum that this has become a wide spread problem and that the company isn't responding to emails or phone messages! Can you say Class Action Suite?

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g153/Tom_Slick/
Old 03-24-2008, 08:51 PM
nowheelie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how the LockPick is installed, or connected to the radio.

I have a Nav radio with XM/Sirius. When I installed my auxilliary audio device (from PIE) I had to make sure the device was installed NOT as in the instructions, but by connecting the power for the device to the passenger side fuse box, via a switched one (htd seat? sorry, can't remember off the top of my head).

Otherwise, if the device was installed as per the instructions it would not allow the radio/system to shut down properly, resulting in a constant drain, and....voila dead battery.

No problems with the device since then.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 484 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nowheelie
I don't know how the LockPick is installed, or connected to the radio.

I have a Nav radio with XM/Sirius. When I installed my auxilliary audio device (from PIE) I had to make sure the device was installed NOT as in the instructions, but by connecting the power for the device to the passenger side fuse box, via a switched one (htd seat? sorry, can't remember off the top of my head).

Otherwise, if the device was installed as per the instructions it would not allow the radio/system to shut down properly, resulting in a constant drain, and....voila dead battery.

No problems with the device since then.
The lock Pick uses the XM radio connection. For some reason it was not allowing some module to go to sleep
continuing to draw 3amps of electricity and thus over night draining the battery.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:06 PM
XXXEsq
Racer

I've had a lockpick in my 07 Z06 for more than 6 months. Works fine. No DBS issues. The car sits for weeks without being driven. You won't know for sure until after the unit is removed and the problem is resolved.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by XXXEsq
I've had a lockpick in my 07 Z06 for more than 6 months. Works fine. No DBS issues. The car sits for weeks without being driven. You won't know for sure until after the unit is removed and the problem is resolved.
Same here. Have it in for 4 months with the Ipod constantly connected and no problems whatsoever.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:24 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I've had mine installed over a year and have had no battery drain, I've left it at the airport for a week before and no dead battery. Mine is an 06 and has original battery....
Old 03-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

I may have rec'd a bad/ defective unit...? Like I said I've tried to contact the company and got no response. I'm out $300- $400! Wonder why I haven't heard from them? From what I've read on other forums, I'm not alone...
Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 PM
paz
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom

I use the Scosche AXIPCLII. It works well with my iPhone.
Allows browse by artist, album, genre...
Read through this long thread for details:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...highlight=ipod
Old 03-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by paz
Tom

I use the Scosche AXIPCLII. It works well with my iPhone.
Allows browse by artist, album, genre...
Read through this long thread for details:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...highlight=ipod
Considering the money I've spent/ lost, I'm almost considering buying a new HU with iPod and DVD playback. I could have almost paid for one of those Pioneer Avic D3 HU's someone was selling on the forum...

Last edited by Tom_Slick; 03-25-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:03 AM
nowheelie
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom_Slick
The lock Pick uses the XM radio connection. For some reason it was not allowing some module to go to sleep
continuing to draw 3amps of electricity and thus over night draining the battery.
That's the reason I had to connect the aux-device power to the fuse box (passenger). I'd be curious if the other people who have the lockPick did a different install, OR if lockPick has anything on their site regarding the install?

Sorry, I'm just babbling by this point. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:39 AM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by XXXEsq
Same here... My IPOD has been connected to it since I got it and no problems with DBS. I probably should not have posted this because I will probably go out to the garage tomorrow and find a dead battery.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:41 AM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Originally Posted by BigButtLover
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Sportsdude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you get the issue resolved
Old 03-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nowheelie
That's the reason I had to connect the aux-device power to the fuse box (passenger). I'd be curious if the other people who have the lockPick did a different install, OR if lockPick has anything on their site regarding the install?

Sorry, I'm just babbling by this point. Good luck.
Unless you splice the wires there's no separate cable to run to a fuse box. The unit I rec'd had one cable to plug into the jack running from the HU to the XM receiver. The other cable connected to the iPod... Very easy/ quick install once you have access to the XM receiver. Like I stated before there could be some bad units out there?

Last edited by Tom_Slick; 08-21-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:01 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom_Slick
I just had that happen to me... The Lock Pick! Installed it, came out to a dead battery the next morning! Dealer(stealer) charged me a couple hundred to find this($110/ diagnosis times 2 days!) It happened over the weekend(installed Saturday) Sunday morning(dead battery) I'm thinking the problem is with the battery, my car's two y/o, so I go and buy a Yellow Top Optima for $100 plus which it turns out I didn't need! I've tried to contact them and got no response. I read on another forum that this has become a wide spread problem and that the company isn't responding to emails or phone messages! Can you say Class Action Suite?

Nope, mine has not caused an issue-yet. I will say that you have to be careful with the Lockpick's DIP switches (how 80's!)-other than that there isn't much you can screw up while installing the unit. It is a bummer that they won't return your contact attempts.

A "Class Action Suite?" As frustrating as this must be for you, I don't think this problem gets it up to Class Action Suit level

Get notified of new replies

To Lock Pick problem? Buyer Beware!!

Quick Reply: Lock Pick problem? Buyer Beware!!