C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F.Y.I heres the official scoop

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good thing the LS2/LS3 are stout motors.....the diffs are another story but even they have improved since 05.

Before people get all freaked out, consider how many modded, cammed, geared, tuned, etc cars we have on this forum.....now compare that to the amount of blown motor, blown trans, threads........they rarely ever show up to the point that a blown motor/tranny is almost non existent.

I'd be way more worried about my ignition switch, or battery, or other electrical issue (non driveline) popping up. Which would still be covered under warrenty.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:50 PM
edv2122
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LostAngel
Diablosport along with a couple other tuners in the vette world has already changed their programming to get around this.
How?

If you are referring to being able to put the stock tune back in, doesnt the original post say they can read the "history"?
Old 04-12-2008, 12:27 AM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
You might want to read that whole story.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1564973219

The first dealership he took it to when he noticed the first sign of trouble, decided to keep it and put 100+ miles on it, before giving it back to him and telling him "we can't fix it, take it somewhere else" which turned out to be over 150 more additional miles.

Which he did and that dealership told him that it had failed due to "abuse".

Trouble is, was it "abused" when that first dealership got ahold of it and decided to put over 100 miles on it while the transmission was acting up?

I suspect that a large part of the reason why he is getting a free repair is because that first dealership screwed up by putting so many additional miles on the car after he brought it in with a complaint of "my tranny is acting up".

Why would they drive it that many miles on a bad tranny, give it back to him, and tell him to take it somewhere else? Someone screwed up. What that first dealership did is indefensible and everybody, GM, the first dealership and the second dealership, and the customer knows it.
I read the whole story did you? You have an opinion that it was a case of CYA. Yep no doubt but Evilways own words are the part that failed had nothing to do with his mods. End of story.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:39 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Dealers are going to be left out eventually since GM pays the bill if it is a warranty claim.

As far as options for the owners and GM having to prove the tune caused the failure, it usually ends up being the customer proving it didn't cause the failure. Take it to court if you wish. Meanwhile your nice Vette will be sitting in the backyard of the dealer since I'm sure they wouldn't release evidence and they won't fix it anyway.

As far as the Duramax, I wish they would ban all tunes for street diesels. The trucks (and the few cars out there) already stink if you are following them. Now they get to form big black clouds behind them putting out more pollution then 10,000 Vettes would.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:43 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TMyers
I read the whole story did you? You have an opinion that it was a case of CYA. Yep no doubt but Evilways own words are the part that failed had nothing to do with his mods. End of story.
I read the whole story in the thread which was deleted.

For you guys it is very simple, don't mod. I never asked you to. As for me I will tune and mod. If the problem is GM's I will hold them responsible. We just had a guy on this very board who burned up his tranny that was heavily mod and GM is replacing the tranny. Why well they said they where going to but more importantly the part that failed and took his tranny out had nothing to do with the mod, racing or anything else. The part should never have failed, period.

They never contended that his transmission went because of his mods because they were banking on getting him on the "abuse".

They tried to say that it was "abuse", and now they can't stand on that because one of their dealers was party to "abusing" it.

For them to turn around now, and say that it was his mods, would never walk, since they have been harping on "abuse".

They abuse his car, at that first dealership, driving it 100+ miles with a wounded tranny in it, cause further damage to his tranny than what it had when he brought it in there, and then turn around and say,

"Sorry pal, it was these mods you have on the car which killed your tranny. Yeah, we know we never made an issue of the mods when you first brought it in here and we said it was abuse when you first brought it in here....but since we also abused it by putting another 100+ miles on it, when we knew it shouldn't have, and have no excuse for having done so, and want to cover our own asses, well,....... we are now going to say that your tranny went because of your mods......yeah, thats it.....thats the ticket. It went because of your mods. Forget what we said about abuse. It was your mods. So no warranty for you.

"And if we find out that it wasn't the mods, well then we'll just say it broke because you were born under the wrong sign."

That won't fly. And they know it won't fly.

If they were going to say that it was his mods, well they have missed their opportunity to do that and they know it. That ship has already sailed. They thought that they could get him on the abuse, and now they can't. The reason why that car is being repaired under warranty is because the first dealership decided to put another 100+ miles on the car after it had come in with a wounded transmission.

Evilways got very lucky. The funny thing though was how he went through and edited every post he had made depicting some of the "spirited" driving he had done in the car.

Some of the edits came in threads which he himself had started, which depicted his driving, and had response type posts from many other forum members congratulating him for his exploits.

These edits were presumably an attempt to remove any discussions with regard to what could be considered "abuse" and eliminate the possibility of anyone from GM seeing them. An attempt which would have, well, fooled nobody, because he started some of the threads and the responses.

The really hilarious thing about all of this frantic editing was that after he finally got done with it,........

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...postcount=2662

A picture of his car was still at the very top of the Quarter Mile Challenge thread.

They couldn't get him on the abuse, because they abused the car too.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-12-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:46 AM
TMyers
Race Director

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Dealers are going to be left out eventually since GM pays the bill if it is a warranty claim.

As far as options for the owners and GM having to prove the tune caused the failure, it usually ends up being the customer proving it didn't cause the failure. Take it to court if you wish. Meanwhile your nice Vette will be sitting in the backyard of the dealer since I'm sure they wouldn't release evidence and they won't fix it anyway.

As far as the Duramax, I wish they would ban all tunes for street diesels. The trucks (and the few cars out there) already stink if you are following them. Now they get to form big black clouds behind them putting out more pollution then 10,000 Vettes would.

Haven't been behind the new Duramax. No black smoke out of mine.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:54 AM
TMyers
Race Director

Read the whole story in the thread which was deleted.

They never contended that his transmission went because of his mods. They tried to say that it was "abuse".
Point being the part that failed could not be subject to a tune or abuse. And that is all I have been trying to say. A tune in and of itself will not void a warranty.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:33 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Point being the part that failed could not be subject to a tune or abuse. And that is all I have been trying to say. A tune in and of itself will not void a warranty.
The fact is, they can't call it abuse now, because they are guilty of taking part in the abuse.

Originally Posted by Evilways
A modification has to be done directly to the part that fails or is , without a shadow of a doubt, the direct cause of the failure . Magnusson Act. The tech who first advised me that the car was covered assured me that nothing I have done to the car was related to the parts failure within the trans.

It was found upon further inspection that abuse was not the cause either, rather the "abuse" that was apparent earlier was caused BY the initial failure, the callus treatment of my car by the first dealership here in Asheboro, who put 100+ miles on the car with the damaged trans, and the subsequent trip to Durham/ dealership #2, about 150 miles away.
They are not going to come out and tell him: "We might have ^%$ed your transmission up worse than it was when you came in here,by running up another 100+ miles on it, instead of thoroughly checking the transmission out, before doing that, and then sending you another 150 miles off to another dealer after we knew that the car should not have been on the road."

What did the first dealership do for him??? I'll tell you what they did for him. They ran up another 100+ miles on his car knowing that it had transmission problems when he brought it in and asked them to check it out. Were they supposed to do that?? Were they supposed to run up another 100 miles or more on his car with that transmission showing signs of problems?

They aren't going to come out and tell him, we screwed it up worse by continuing to drive it for 100+ miles. And we had no legitimate reason to have been driving it that far. They aren't going to admit to that wrongdoing.

They are going to tell him something else, go ahead and fix his car, and everybodys happy.

I believe that they either outright know, or strongly believe that it was abuse, (and if they don't know, then with the threads posted up here, they certainly had ample opportunity to know) but there is not a damned thing they can do about it now, because the first dealer screwed up royally. Only thing left for them to do is to fix the car. Evilways got very lucky.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-12-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:13 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I don't see what all the fuss is about...if you modify your car...if you change the operating parameters from those designed and warranted by GM, why should GM still provide warranty repairs for 'related' failures? You had your vehicle tuned...you voluntarily altered the way it runs...man-up and be responsible for your actions.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:41 AM
LostAngel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by edv2122
How?

If you are referring to being able to put the stock tune back in, doesnt the original post say they can read the "history"?
I have no clue how as I do not work for them. But I know the tech 2 at my friends dealership did not detect the modified tune. This was around a year ago.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:38 PM
paka
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the high performance corvette can not take a tune ( 10 to 20 hp increase) with out breaking parts covered by warranty, its time to look for another high performance vehicle. g.m. is telling me the parts they installed in a corvette is good for only 400 h.p. not 420 h.p. or 430 h.p. not 445 h.p. my 2 cents.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:03 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by paka
If the high performance corvette can not take a tune ( 10 to 20 hp increase) with out breaking parts covered by warranty, its time to look for another high performance vehicle. g.m. is telling me the parts they installed in a corvette is good for only 400 h.p. not 420 h.p. or 430 h.p. not 445 h.p. my 2 cents.

But where do you draw the line??

As a dealer I'd be more concerned with someone messing with the computer parameters...A/F ratios are very sensitive. I'd be more inclined to turn a blind eye to headers or a CAI.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:23 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by paka
it is not the HP increase it is removing torque management that retards the timing during shifts to prevent driveline damage. the tuners do this so you think because of the hard shifts you have a BIG jump in HP. same thing with dyno tuning if they do not have the fuel temp and oil temp within 5 degrees of the base run you are getting a bogus reading
Old 04-13-2008, 02:35 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

The fact is, they can't call it abuse now, because they are guilty of taking part in the abuse.

They are not going to come out and tell him: "We might have ^%$ed your transmission up worse than it was when you came in here,by running up another 100+ miles on it, instead of thoroughly checking the transmission out, before doing that, and then sending you another 150 miles off to another dealer after we knew that the car should not have been on the road."

What did the first dealership do for him??? I'll tell you what they did for him. They ran up another 100+ miles on his car knowing that it had transmission problems when he brought it in and asked them to check it out. Were they supposed to do that?? Were they supposed to run up another 100 miles or more on his car with that transmission showing signs of problems?

They aren't going to come out and tell him, we screwed it up worse by continuing to drive it for 100+ miles. And we had no legitimate reason to have been driving it that far. They aren't going to admit to that wrongdoing.

They are going to tell him something else, go ahead and fix his car, and everybodys happy.

I believe that they either outright know, or strongly believe that it was abuse, (and if they don't know, then with the threads posted up here, they certainly had ample opportunity to know) but there is not a damned thing they can do about it now, because the first dealer screwed up royally. Only thing left for them to do is to fix the car. Evilways got very lucky.
Well stated.

Quick Reply: F.Y.I heres the official scoop