C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time tracking.......on national TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:16 PM
60av8tor
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First time tracking.......on national TV

What doofus would do such a thing.

I'm your Huckleberry.......

A buddy of mine told me that Speed TV was going to do a shoot at our military base, and invited me to come on down and see all the excitement. He’s got a suped up 2004 Mustang and knows I’m a Vette pilot. I'd been on a boat sunning and funning all day, so I had to drop of the minivan, grab the Vette, and drive like hell to get there in time.

Turns out it was for a show called 'Supercars Exposed', and exposed they were. They were using our taxiway complex as a short course, nothing fancy: two lanes; about a quarter of a mile out on taxiiway Bravo, opposing half 'chicanes' to a straight- about a quarter of a mile back. Watching them go was, amazing. Having just driven up the 405, and being used to being near the top of the automotive foodchain, I was starting to feel a bit......small. Just to name a few, they had two Ford GTs ( a stock 500 and a Hennessey 1000), a new Gallardo Superleggera, a monster Hennessey Viper- boasting 1000 hp), a Brabus V12 something or another, a rebuilt Pantera, a Porsche Carrerra, a few 911 GT3s.....

......and my bone stock 2007 Z51, I got 'lucky'....they allowed me to come in as an add on since I was based there and had my flight ACUs on.

When I got there, these cars (and more) were running the mini course that had been set up. Impressive is such a weak word for what we saw them do. There were a few cars there, however, that I was looking forward to sweating ( a BMW M3, Saleen S281, a bone stock Porsche, and an old NSX.....dinnertime !!) I knew that my Vette could likely best these cars, but the real question was could I do it. While somewhat the master of the vaguely organized chaos that passes for freeway driving in SoCal, I'd NEVER tracked my Vette....or any other car.

My education (and fears) were significantly heightened by my ride with the show's host, Tanner Foust. He sat right seat and showed me the course. To say he was cool is an understatement, VERY patient with me, (even when I used my turn signal...hey, force of habit ! ). After the second time through, he asked me how much I was in love with my tires. I told him I loved my fronts ( Goodrich G-Force) but hated the rears ( run craps). He smiled, we switched seats and I proceeded to learn quite a bit about how well a C6 drifts. I've NEVER had that much fun in ANY vehicle ever ! What a friggin' bali hai !!

Before we all gathered for the drivers brief, and the taping thereof, a C5 Z06 showed up. I invited him to park next me, happy to see a 'friend'.....I was starting to feel kind isolated. Turns out he didn't race on the show. Drivers were assigned numbers. These numbers were put on slips and put into a bucket. Some piece of eye candy pulls the slips out and that's how you are paired up. A lot of folks saw the writing on the wall and opted out.

I've never been that smart...I'm sure you can see where this is going.

I got paired against the Gallardo Superleggera. I'm new, but not that new, and suddenly wished that I'd somehow had the extra 20k for a Z06 ! Screw it, let's have some fun. And so, with a borrowed helmet in tow, I took the top off, drove out , and put on my favorite Vette romping song ("Pump It" , Black Eyed Peas) as loudly as the Blose system would allow.......and got my buns handed to me !

It wasn't too bad while in first gear, and the chirp I got when I shifted into 2nd was vaguely reassuring for about a second, then I saw his tail lights. With visions of drifting in my head, I wound up WAY under torqued and oversteered to pull that off....wound up simply making a wide turn while looking at the steadily receding taillights of the Gallardo.

But what fun ! No attitudes out there, just a buncha guys with cool toys trying to have a blast. I just wish some of you die hards with the serious knowledge (and serious rwhp) had been there to represent. I did the best with what I had, but........

I'll quit here. I can tell you that there were some pretty scary moments during the other races( especially with the Viper), but I don't wanna spoil anything, PM me if you just have to know. They said the show will usually air four to five weeks after taping.

Will advise.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:20 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you had a blast.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Sven
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Old 04-27-2008, 02:22 PM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

braver than me, no way would I track my car on TV. I would make a complete fool of myself. Glad you had fun, make another post when the show is gonna air, will be a good watch
Old 04-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Sherman Fretwell
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was a ballsy move on your part to say the least. Enjoyed the write up. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:00 PM
60av8tor
Racer

Originally Posted by Sherman Fretwell
That was a ballsy move on your part to say the least. Enjoyed the write up. Thanks.
Thanks guys
Getting trounced by a car that can have more spent on it in options than my whole car costs isn't that degrading......and if I had a Z06, I'd have done even better.
The funniest part of the night was the drive home. Some goober in an third gen Eclipse ( with a spare on his right rear, no less) buzzed next to me and wanted to go. I just hadta laugh as he sped off to pester someone else.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:48 PM
60av8tor
Racer

Well, it aired last night.
Funny, I thought I'd be more embarrassed. Instead, I'm left with an intense desire to go racing again.
I do believe a bug has bitten......
Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Good on you! That sounds like like a blast!

I enjoy watching that show and I really admire the host...it must be tought driving all those exotic cars but I guess someone has to do it.

Good job...I'll be looking for the episode.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:17 AM
moolys
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by danl72
Sounds like you had a blast.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 503 Likes on 258 Posts

The show was on this weekend and you are a star. Looked interesting as the guys with the supercars seemed to be super tuners.

Thanks for your service.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:40 AM
P3C
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you represented the vette community just fine. Congrats for havin the guts to go out there with "the big boys". Missed the show, let us know if there will be a re-run.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:29 AM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah... sounds like you had a good time... i'm wondering if that is going to be a new series.... i just saw super cars exposed last night on speed.. last night it was porsches and ford gts' mostly... the porsche won, he smoked the gt.... he said he had over 1000 hp.... a good show..
Old 06-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Ozone
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Good on you! That sounds like like a blast!

I enjoy watching that show and I really admire the host...it must be tought driving all those exotic cars but I guess someone has to do it.

Good job...I'll be looking for the episode.

And the blonde he hangs out with is HOT! That was a GREAT episode...one of my favorites. OP has nothing to be embarassed about...he and his Vette did GREAT, considering he was AT LEAST 100Gs less than most of those other vehicles. The winner was super secretive about what he had in his Porsche, but I'd bet that was at least a $250K investment. It was CRAZY FAAASSSTTTT!!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 AM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Old 06-04-2008, 08:08 AM
DaveMcC
Instructor

I saw the show. I was wondering if the Vette guy was on the forum...now I know. Good job, now keep racing. Check out the local SCCA schedule and have at it.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:29 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for sharing and clearing matters up. I too saw the show over the weekend and I can't tell you how pissed I was when they paired a standard 400hp C6 against a 530hp Gallardo Superleggera - looked like a shootout between a Corvette and a Vega! But hats off to you for going through with it - I would have told them to pound sand. I have to ask - what was with running the cars at night? Saw a couple of guys go off course. Inexperienced drivers, many first-timers, taking high performance cars on a road course at night - are they nuts?

PS: turn signals not needed on the track.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:41 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I liked the turn signal thing That would be so me!

Anyway, good job!

Get notified of new replies

To First time tracking.......on national TV

Old 06-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Bck N Blk 94
Advanced

I just happened to catch the show, you represented us stockers extremely well. All the other cars I saw were either mega-buck cars and/or modded out. It was impressive to see a stock C6 hold its own and the race commentators did a nice job and were complementary of every car.

The finals between the two super-Porcshe's was an amazing race.
If you get a chance to watch a re-broadcast it's worth the time.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 AM
ALVetteFan
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sherman Fretwell
Old 06-04-2008, 09:06 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,945 Likes on 4,820 Posts

That had to be a one of a life time experience, I have seen the show with Tanner many times and it is great, will look forward to this edition. Great write-up also thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: First time tracking.......on national TV