C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-05-2015, 06:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Dealer Latch Bulletin (roof popping noise)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 02:40 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blackfd
bump, my dealer is trying to find bulletins/tsbs/part numbers for new latches... my "epoxy fix" lasted a few months but fell out, now it creaks when installed AND when in the hatch lol
IMO the fix by GM at this point needs to be refined. GM seems to be trying now but the fix is NOT holding up. I would wait and give it time for it to be corrected, your "epoxy fix" was a failure, haste now makes waste.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:05 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
IMO the fix by GM at this point needs to be refined. GM seems to be trying now but the fix is NOT holding up. I would wait and give it time for it to be corrected, your "epoxy fix" was a failure, haste now makes waste.
I was at my dealer today. They told me that they are aware of the problem and that what they have been told to do is order a new latch from GM. Oddly, he said it's on a "first come first serve" basis as to how quickly they get them. Not sure what that means, but I'm encouraged they know about it and are willing on ordering a new part.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:47 PM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I was at my dealer today. They told me that they are aware of the problem and that what they have been told to do is order a new latch from GM. Oddly, he said it's on a "first come first serve" basis as to how quickly they get them. Not sure what that means, but I'm encouraged they know about it and are willing on ordering a new part.
I called EVS parts dept, they're aware of the issue, but say the part number has NOT been updated yet and it doesn't look like whole new latches are available, however, there is a newer TSB involving using some felt and some clips to remedy the problem, NOT epoxy
Old 07-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Spinny
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

I had my 05 in for the new "fix". It now makes more noise than before. It sounds as if I am riding inside a bowl of Rice Krispies and milk. GM is giving me a real run around about simply replacing the top, even though the rep admits that they do not know how to repair the problem. I am a retired judge and attorney and am seriously considering filing suit. As long as I am doing so, I might as well make it interesting and make it a class action. If GM does not do the right thing, and soon, I will move forward. Are any members interested in joining me?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:52 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 88 Posts

Mine is just starting heard it today - what do i need to tell my dealer so he knows how to fix it?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Spinny
I had my 05 in for the new "fix". It now makes more noise than before. It sounds as if I am riding inside a bowl of Rice Krispies and milk. GM is giving me a real run around about simply replacing the top, even though the rep admits that they do not know how to repair the problem. I am a retired judge and attorney and am seriously considering filing suit. As long as I am doing so, I might as well make it interesting and make it a class action. If GM does not do the right thing, and soon, I will move forward. Are any members interested in joining me?

Yeah, that's a great solution. God knows we don't have enough lawsuits. I love our society.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Spinny
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have a better solution?

Last edited by Spinny; 07-14-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-14-2008, 10:39 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe wait a while ... it's not like solutions to all problems can be solved in court ... it's possible that the engineers are just testing the solution ...
Old 07-15-2008, 06:45 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Actually I think that I do. If you are having a problem with your roof latch you should let the engineers know about it. Send a note describing your problem to this link:

http://bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com/

Click on the yellow owner feedback button at the bottom and provide the requested information. What helps in problem solving is providing data. The engineers are working on the problem and the more data points that they can receive will help pin point the problem as well as help to rule out non contributing issues. As I've said in a number of posts not every car has a problem with the roof latch. Some issues are simple maintenance issues of needing lubrication on the gaskets (this is a basic maintenance item like changing the oil.) Some are issues related to thermal expansion of dissimilar materials and these go away within minutes of starting on the drive. Some are very legitimate issues that are related to the roof latch and need to be corrected.

Problem solving involves collection of data, assignment of a root cause and corrective action. The more data that is presented about the problem will aide in the faster correction of the problem. As well as help to rule out issues that are not legitimate contributors to the issue.

There is what is believed to be a permenant corrective action to this issue in development currently with new latch handles. The plant is collecting data about what is failing or wrong with the current situation. Actual owner data can help with that development effort and fine tune the solution.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:49 AM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by talon90
Actually I think that I do. If you are having a problem with your roof latch you should let the engineers know about it. Send a note describing your problem to this link:

http://bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com/

Click on the yellow owner feedback button at the bottom and provide the requested information. What helps in problem solving is providing data. The engineers are working on the problem and the more data points that they can receive will help pin point the problem as well as help to rule out non contributing issues. As I've said in a number of posts not every car has a problem with the roof latch. Some issues are simple maintenance issues of needing lubrication on the gaskets (this is a basic maintenance item like changing the oil.) Some are issues related to thermal expansion of dissimilar materials and these go away within minutes of starting on the drive. Some are very legitimate issues that are related to the roof latch and need to be corrected.

Problem solving involves collection of data, assignment of a root cause and corrective action. The more data that is presented about the problem will aide in the faster correction of the problem. As well as help to rule out issues that are not legitimate contributors to the issue.

There is what is believed to be a permenant corrective action to this issue in development currently with new latch handles. The plant is collecting data about what is failing or wrong with the current situation. Actual owner data can help with that development effort and fine tune the solution.
any ETA for availability? i really don't want to epoxy the damn thing again, i'll be at the plant on the 22nd... any beta-test latches available for pickup :P

Last edited by blackfd; 07-15-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:55 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by blackfd
any ETA for availability? i really don't want to epoxy the damn thing again, i'll be at the plant on the 22nd... any beta-test latches available for pickup :P
ETA unknown. At this point it will be a supply chain issue. The first priority is going to be production vehicles at the plant. Any part quantity over and above what is needed for production and safety stock will released to the SPO group. Those will be first come first served until the supply catches up.

I suspect that if you send the plant a note about the issues you are having and let them know that you will be there on the 22nd that you will be plesantly surprised.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:07 AM
blackfd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by talon90
ETA unknown. At this point it will be a supply chain issue. The first priority is going to be production vehicles at the plant. Any part quantity over and above what is needed for production and safety stock will released to the SPO group. Those will be first come first served until the supply catches up.

I suspect that if you send the plant a note about the issues you are having and let them know that you will be there on the 22nd that you will be plesantly surprised.
submitted, will await response... thanks!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:02 PM
RAWBEEZ
Advanced

Default Any news on popping roof panel

No posts in this thread for a long time. Was wondering if anyone knows of a fix. I have an 08. Took it in for that bulletin. Had them replace the latches. Held for about two weeks. Now has been popping for a few months. Driving me crazy! Any news would be appreciated.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:09 PM
ch47d1sg
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

took my new 08 into the dealer to correct roof pop and comply with the TSB. New latches and TSB complete, no roof pop or crack. Quiet........
Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 PM
cajun man 08
Instructor

My 09 started popping when it got warm here,dealer replaced the latches .Stopped popping for about a month,but after taking roof off about ten times popping return.Returned to dealer last week worked on it all day said they got it fixed.When they went to wash the car before returning it started popping again.Tech showed me where roof was rubbing against the plastic trim piece that run across the top of the windshield.Will be replacing next week,noticed popping only happens in the afternoon when it gets hot.Will try to take pictures of scrapes an post.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:59 AM
RAWBEEZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by ch47d1sg
took my new 08 into the dealer to correct roof pop and comply with the TSB. New latches and TSB complete, no roof pop or crack. Quiet........
How long have the new latches been on yours?
Old 05-27-2009, 06:09 PM
SeanMo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I just called my dealer today and the guy said he is not aware of bulletin for new latches or top. I asked if I already had the epoxy fix done and its still popping is there anything else you can do and he replied no.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:48 PM
cajun man 08
Instructor

My "09" built in Nov has been at the dealer three times in May.Dealer replaced both latches,winshield trim piece an the pin recievers.Lubircated all the rubber pieces stopped most of the noise for a few days.Dealer ordered new roof on Monday supposed to be ready at end of week.Car has 11,000 miles on it,would like to hear if anyone esle has had same problem.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:33 PM
larrymcgraw
Instructor

After 3 trips to the dealer, he finally replaced the 2 latches on our 06 transparent top today. So far, no popping.

Quick Reply: Dealer Latch Bulletin (roof popping noise)