C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bondurant or other mods first

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 PM
JBauer47
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Bondurant or other mods first

I am trying budget the amout of cash I drop in the vette. So I have initiated a one mod/accessory/product a month max. I would like to start with the exhaust (Borla Corsa ...)but I am also considering Bondurant school as my first "mod" which I think will be the smarter move. Anyone concur???

mc
Old 07-24-2008, 10:32 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Highly suggest spring mountain as a bondurant alternative ... totally Corvette oriented ...

If you are planning any sort of hp driving then training yourself first is always the best first move ....
Old 07-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to Bondurant about 4 years ago and a friend of mine went to Spring Mountain about the same time. We compared notes when we returned and both schools taught the same stuff and were run pretty similarly. Both schools use Corvettes. I loved every minute of the 3 day Bondurant class that I took. Very worth while and friends of mine noted that it did make me a faster driver in autocross and track days. They teach good skills for both road and track, but I think it will do the most good if you plan to do autocrossing or track days with your car. Things like looking far ahead, handling evasive lane changes, and skid correction will certainly help you on the everyday road. The fine points of heel-and-toe downshifting, weight transfer, and trail braking will be most valuable on the track. At Bondurant, there were 2 students per instructor. My instructor was both an excellent driver as well as an excellent teacher. I couldn't have asked for a better instructor.

Most people can't drive a stock Corvette to its full potential. I think my class was far better at making me a faster driver than anything I have done to my car.

- Mark
Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you plan on tracking your car I'd take the Bondurant (or Spring Mountain) course. I think the education is extremely valuable and more so if you can regularly apply and refine what you learned on a road course. If you're not going to track your car consistently, I'd be more inclined to modfiy my car first and take the course when you decide it's time to track your car.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I don't track my car, but glad I took the Bondurant course. They don't teach just "track" stuff. High performance driving that can be applied to the real world... Driving a Corvette or an econ box at full tilt.

Spend the money on a good driving school. Bondurant, Spring Mountain, whatever. Could save your life, plus give you the skills and confidence to handle your Corvette.

Have Fun!
Old 07-25-2008, 05:15 PM
JBauer47
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks guys for all the input. I am going to go with Bondurant, I have a friend that I can stay with near Pheonix. I think that a high performance driving school is the smartest thing I can do at this point being as the average Hp of every car I owned before the vette was 120. Man I am excited.

mc
Old 07-25-2008, 05:22 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I see your follow up post; I agree wholeheartedly. As a former Bondurant student, I can say you won't regret it. Ever.

And you will take it from car to car, and year to year. Spring Mountain would be the same I'm sure. But saving the "housing" cost surely can't hurt, not to mention seeing a friend.

Good luck with it and tell us how it turns out for you!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:30 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to hit some local autox and dragstrips first. You can do it for next to nothing. You can also hit the tracks and get someone to ride with you. Not sure the schools are worth what they're asking.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Quick 06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Added Benefits of SM or Bond...

The skills you learn at either may save your's or someone else's life. You will know the limitations and capabilities of your Corvette!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Smitter
Pro

The better driver will win against small mods and the knowledge stays with you the mods go with the car. Yes, we are having some fun now.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:27 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been to both; Level I & II at Spring Mountain and Advanced Road Racing at Bondurant. Spring Mountain has a longer track and is more challenging, but you will learn similar stuff at both schools. At Spring Mountain you can drive different vettes if you wish (Coupe MN6, Coupe w/paddle shifter, C6 Z06). I think the only Corvettes Bondurant has are Z51 Coupes. When I went to Bondurant I was assigned a car for the duration (a race prepared Mustang Cobra SVT, have been replaced with Z51's now).

Be sure to do the shifter karts at least one evening at Bondurant, what a rush.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:49 PM
BondurantHPD
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Vendor Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
I have been to both; Level I & II at Spring Mountain and Advanced Road Racing at Bondurant. Spring Mountain has a longer track and is more challenging, but you will learn similar stuff at both schools. At Spring Mountain you can drive different vettes if you wish (Coupe MN6, Coupe w/paddle shifter, C6 Z06). I think the only Corvettes Bondurant has are Z51 Coupes. When I went to Bondurant I was assigned a car for the duration (a race prepared Mustang Cobra SVT, have been replaced with Z51's now).

Be sure to do the shifter karts at least one evening at Bondurant, what a rush.
I wanted to mention that we are expecting our new ZR1 Corvettes in the next month or so!!! Yahoo!! We will be 1 of 2 Schools GM will send new ZR1 owners to with purchase. It will be a High Performance Driving style course with use of our C6 Z51's, C6 Z06's, and our C6 ZR1's. We will also be making this course available to the general public as well. No experience necessary!!!

For details please give one of our sales guys a call at 800-842-7223 as they should have the full course layout and description.

Dan Dineson
Old 08-25-2008, 01:35 PM
BondurantHPD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JBauer47
I am trying budget the amout of cash I drop in the vette. So I have initiated a one mod/accessory/product a month max. I would like to start with the exhaust (Borla Corsa ...)but I am also considering Bondurant school as my first "mod" which I think will be the smarter move. Anyone concur???

mc

UPDATE!!!

ZR1 Driving Program!!!

Who: Anyone that has purchased a ZR1 and has the original driving school certificate, compliments of GM, to attend a two-day driving course at Bondurant. The course will also be sold to the general public for those that are 18 and over, have a valid driver’s license, and can drive a manual transmission.

What: The custom-designed ZR1 course will allow drivers to learn valuable car control skills while they acquaint themselves with the entire Corvette lineup, using the base C6 with a Z51 suspension package, the Z06, and the new ZR1.

Why: GM desires that all ZR1 buyers are able to enjoy their new purchase and acquire skills to drive the car confidently and safely.

Where: Bondurant’s purpose built 60 acre training facility at Firebird International Raceway near Phoenix, Arizona.

When: The ZR1 Corvettes allocated to Bondurant will arrive in September; courses will begin shortly after arrival, probably in October. The 2-day course will typically be scheduled on a Thursday/Friday.

How: Driving exercises are designed for the student to walk away with a good understanding of vehicle dynamics and car control skills. Throughout the day, the drivers will have the opportunity to choose their vehicle for each drill.

Price: $3,395.00
Students per class: Initially 3
Student to Instructor Ratio: 3:1

Course Outline:

Day 1
8:00 – 8:30 Check in
8:30 – 9:00 Welcome, Introduction
9:00 – 9:30 On track Lead & Follow
9:30 – 10:00 Photo with ZR1
10:00 – 11:00 Maricopa Oval
11:00 – 12:00 Slalom, Ground School
12:00 – 1:30 Lunch
1:30 – 2:00 Ground School
2:00 – 3:00 Skid Control Cars
3:00 – 4:00 Accident Avoidance Simulator
4:00 – 4:45 Heel & Toe Downshifting

Day 2
8:30 – 9:00 Ground School
9:00 – 10:00 Heel & Toe Downshifting
11:00 – 12:00 Introduction to Track, Lead & Follow
2:00 – 3:00 Timed Autocross
3:00 – 4:00 On track Lead & Follow with Ride & Drive
4:00 – 4:30 Graduation

Optional Vehicle Insurance: Insurance can be purchased for $75.00/day which limits the students liability to the first $6,000.00 per vehicle per incident. Without the insurance, the student would be liable for all damages.

Certificate redemption: With every new ZR1, GM will provide the buyer with a certificate to attend a 2-day driving school at no cost. Optional vehicle insurance, travel arrangements, etc are not included and are at the expense of the participant. The original certificate will need to be delivered to Bondurant prior to, or at, course check-in. The certificate is good only for the 2-day ZR1 course and can not be substituted for cash or credit towards another course. Non-ZR1 owners are eligble to attend the course by paying the advertised retail price of $3,395.00.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:43 PM
BondurantHPD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tjfontaine
Highly suggest spring mountain as a bondurant alternative ... totally Corvette oriented ...

If you are planning any sort of hp driving then training yourself first is always the best first move ....
UPDATE!!!

ZR1 Driving Program!!!

Who: Anyone that has purchased a ZR1 and has the original driving school certificate, compliments of GM, to attend a two-day driving course at Bondurant. The course will also be sold to the general public for those that are 18 and over, have a valid driver’s license, and can drive a manual transmission.

What: The custom-designed ZR1 course will allow drivers to learn valuable car control skills while they acquaint themselves with the entire Corvette lineup, using the base C6 with a Z51 suspension package, the Z06, and the new ZR1.

Why: GM desires that all ZR1 buyers are able to enjoy their new purchase and acquire skills to drive the car confidently and safely.

Where: Bondurant’s purpose built 60 acre training facility at Firebird International Raceway near Phoenix, Arizona.

When: The ZR1 Corvettes allocated to Bondurant will arrive in September; courses will begin shortly after arrival, probably in October. The 2-day course will typically be scheduled on a Thursday/Friday.

How: Driving exercises are designed for the student to walk away with a good understanding of vehicle dynamics and car control skills. Throughout the day, the drivers will have the opportunity to choose their vehicle for each drill.

Price: $3,395.00
Students per class: Initially 3
Student to Instructor Ratio: 3:1

Course Outline:

Day 1
8:00 – 8:30 Check in
8:30 – 9:00 Welcome, Introduction
9:00 – 9:30 On track Lead & Follow
9:30 – 10:00 Photo with ZR1
11:00 – 12:00 Slalom, Ground School
2:00 – 3:00 Skid Control Cars
3:00 – 4:00 Accident Avoidance Simulator
4:00 – 4:45 Heel & Toe Downshifting

Day 2
8:30 – 9:00 Ground School
9:00 – 10:00 Heel & Toe Downshifting
11:00 – 12:00 Introduction to Track, Lead & Follow
2:00 – 3:00 Timed Autocross
3:00 – 4:00 On track Lead & Follow with Ride & Drive
4:00 – 4:30 Graduation

Optional Vehicle Insurance: Insurance can be purchased for $75.00/day which limits the students liability to the first $6,000.00 per vehicle per incident. Without the insurance, the student would be liable for all damages.

Certificate redemption: With every new ZR1, GM will provide the buyer with a certificate to attend a 2-day driving school at no cost. Optional vehicle insurance, travel arrangements, etc are not included and are at the expense of the participant. The original certificate will need to be delivered to Bondurant prior to, or at, course check-in. The certificate is good only for the 2-day ZR1 course and can not be substituted for cash or credit towards another course. Non-ZR1 owners are eligble to attend the course by paying the advertised retail price of $3,395.00.

Get notified of new replies

To Bondurant or other mods first

Quick Reply: Bondurant or other mods first