C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Durability

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Captain Crunch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 Durability

I heard the LS3 is a well designed engine. How many miles would you expect from it? Would 300k be unreasonable if I did mostly cruising and some occasional fun? No mods also. I think the LS3 should make it.

On another note, how many people open their hood after driving long distances to let the engine cool? I heard that it was supposed to increase the engine life. By how much, I don't know....

Thanks,
CC
Old 09-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

I would expect the LS3 or any other modern engine to go 300,000 miles easy. Just change the oil and filters. I am certain there would be the necessity to repair accessories and other wear items. Modern engines are designed and assembled much better than our father's engines.

I have never heard of opening the hood to cool the engine faster to extend engine life.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Atomic Punk
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
I have never heard of opening the hood to cool the engine faster to extend engine life.

new one on me.....
Old 09-06-2008, 12:27 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

New one to me to. The engine gets so hot under the hood while driving in stop and go traffic, I couldn't imagine opening it up at your destination making any difference at all.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been doing the "open the hood after highway runs" for years. I get a lot of "Are you having a problem?" from people in rest stops. While I can't say for certain it helps with longer engine life I know it can't hurt. If you can get the heat out of the engine compartment, even for a short while, I think it's a good thing. Who knows, maybe things like the starter, alternator or other sensitive electronics might last a bit longer because of less heat. Like I said, been doing it for years and it's a habit now.
I'd like to think the LS3 engine would be as durable as the others, LS1, LS2 and so on. Not sure I'll still own my '08 coupe when it hits six figures. I'll certainly take good care of it.
The following users liked this post:
h8snow (06-15-2019)
Old 09-06-2008, 01:01 AM
adias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shortimer
I've been doing the "open the hood after highway runs" for years. I get a lot of "Are you having a problem?" from people in rest stops. While I can't say for certain it helps with longer engine life I know it can't hurt. If you can get the heat out of the engine compartment, even for a short while, I think it's a good thing. Who knows, maybe things like the starter, alternator or other sensitive electronics might last a bit longer because of less heat. Like I said, been doing it for years and it's a habit now.
I'd like to think the LS3 engine would be as durable as the others, LS1, LS2 and so on. Not sure I'll still own my '08 coupe when it hits six figures. I'll certainly take good care of it.
This is total nonsense.

You say that opening the hood "it can't hurt." I disagree. Unless there is something very wrong with the engine cavity natural cooling channels... and there is not, actually speeding up natural engine cooling is wrong. All things mechanical like to warm up and cool down slowly not fast. Speeding up heating/cooling cycles stresses the engine.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:40 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

seems to me that more important than cool down to engine longevity would be operating temperature.

That's why my underhood insulation and so called beauty covers came off the car when there was about 10 miles on it.

When it's cold outside I open the hood to warm the garage. When it's hot outside I park the C6 in the driveway to let it cool down. Pulling into the garage when it's in the 90s outside just heats the garage up way too fast etc.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:10 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would expect the LS3 or any other modern engine to go 300,000 miles easy. Just change the oil and filters. I am certain there would be the necessity to repair accessories and other wear items. Modern engines are designed and assembled much better than our father's engines.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:34 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What is even better than that is putting a 170 degree thermostat in your C6 and then you can buy the kit at WCC to lower the temperature when your electric fans turn on. This will keep you engine at a very nice 190 degrees at the most. The only reason that Chevy puts a higher temperature thermostat is to make the car hotter to help it pass smog. The car will still pass smog as long as you get it warmed up very well before you take it down to get smogged. Have fun and COOL down!
Old 09-06-2008, 02:51 AM
adias
Burning Brakes

It does not go away... you guys think that by lowering a thermostat opening temp the engine will run cooler? that is only true if you do short trips and at low speed. If you drive longer and spiritedly the engine temp will go higher no matter the thermostat opening setting.

If you want your engine to run cooler (and that may not be a good thing) the only way is to enlarge the cooling capacity - radiators, fans.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:21 AM
FLY US
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortimer

it helps with longer engine life I know it can't hurt. If you can get the heat out of the engine compartment, even for a short while, I think it's a good thing. Who knows, maybe things like the starter, alternator or other sensitive electronics might last a bit longer because of less heat.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:07 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

agree. and that's not the only fluid to change under the hood or on the car on a very regular basis, too.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:32 AM
dbraver2
Melting Slicks

Received 142 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would love to hear what these two have to say about this "open hood cool down"!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:59 AM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Longevity is subjective. It depends more on how you drive and maintain the car. It is very possible for the engine itself to last the 300K, but I think you would spend a fortune replacing all of the other things that make the car run.
These cars are designed to operate at a given temp, I don't know how much I would be willing to mess with that.
Most of us probably started out driving cars that normally operated under 200 degrees and are convinced that anything higher means that we are running too hot and somehow causing damage. Today's engines are much more efficient at producing power, fuel economy, and running cleaner than the motors that came in our old Musclecars. I still have an old Musclecar and often drive both it and the Corvette back to back. There is a big difference in the two as far as power, and trust me, if my GTO ever approached the temps that the Corvette does I would be very concerned about it.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:12 AM
obaidan
Instructor

I believe without modifications, the engine can go beyond the suggested mileage. Question is will other components make it?

Additionally, if heat is a subjective concern rather than opening the hood at every stop, one can purchase a third party hood with ventilations; many good designs are available.

If you have a second car, you can also avoid driving the car in most heat extreme conditions (i.e. extreme traffice jam while in in extreme noon temperature, tracks, etc).

Although, I think all this is unnecessary just drive your car without worrying about the mileage and warranty. Simply just enjoy it!
Old 09-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

I'd say very reliable considering a version of the 6.2L design is in the ZR1
Old 09-06-2008, 10:29 AM
MSC6
Pro

Originally Posted by adias
This is total nonsense.

You say that opening the hood "it can't hurt." I disagree. Unless there is something very wrong with the engine cavity natural cooling channels... and there is not, actually speeding up natural engine cooling is wrong. All things mechanical like to warm up and cool down slowly not fast. Speeding up heating/cooling cycles stresses the engine.
I love to read the things people come up with. From changing to a different viscosity oil than recommended to opening the hood speeds up the cooling so much that it stresses the engine. What ??? You're not spraying a hot engine with cold water just opening the hood. I have never heard that opening the hood, to let the heat out, adds to the longevity of an engine. I seriously doubt it.

Ask any major tuner/builder who works on these engines daily and they will tell you that in stock form they are pretty much bullet proof. Why do you think GM is still making a smallblock pushrod engine now with a 100,000 mile warranty ?

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 Durability

Quick Reply: LS3 Durability