C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Coupe - Tire Chains/cables

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:45 PM
CroOrange
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
IF I was going to do this, I would just wait for the dry roads during the Iowa winter. The road salt is just as great a hazard in my mind!

Yup, that's why I wash it regularly in winter and wax it often.

a++ Cedric
Old 09-12-2008, 01:18 PM
shortski
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cro
My new vette buddy

For more information regarding clearance classes click on the click here link at the end of this page:

http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20...low_clear.html

Before buying anything I wanted to see if anybody had used any product per say

a++ Cedric
The clearance on the back & front of the tire is not an issue with the Spike Spider set up. The chain doesn't wrap around the outside of the tire. The four heavy "plastic" arms hold a chain with little spikes around the circumference of the tire. the only contact to the wheel is the adapter plate that mounts on the wheel studs, the "plastic" arms hold the chain in position on the tire, no chain is on the outside or inside of the tire, hence no clearance problems. The chain can be adjusted (with-in limitation for the tire size) for tight fitting around the circumference of the tire.

I tried the Z chains but I didn't like the fact they needed chain tighteners on the outside of the tire. I was concerned about what would happen if it should fail, and the damage it would do to the fender.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:39 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Tire chains on a Corvette has been a no-no since 1953. Stop to think for a minute what happens when a link lets go and is flopping around the fiberglass/plastic wheel wells and openings - not a pretty sight!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:44 PM
CroOrange
Pro

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Tire chains on a Corvette has been a no-no since 1953. Stop to think for a minute what happens when a link lets go and is flopping around the fiberglass/plastic wheel wells and openings - not a pretty sight!
If I go along that line of thought, what about the other cars? I see quite a few cars out there made out of "plastic".

I'm not saying yes or no at this point, I'm just evaluating my options. there are tire chains, tire cables, tire wrappers and the plastic thing that shortski came up with (quite expensive though ... )

cedric
Old 09-12-2008, 02:46 PM
CroOrange
Pro

Originally Posted by BLUE HVN
Cedric - are you taking your Vette to the French Alps??

That would be uber cool, a sleek Corvette with a pair of skis on a rack. Beats James Bond hands down

a++ Cedric

Last edited by CroOrange; 09-12-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:57 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

calgon take me away
Old 09-12-2008, 04:14 PM
CroOrange
Pro

Originally Posted by patton
calgon take me away
Looks as if I have just been radiated from the members list of the Corvette Club

Ok, ok, I'm

a++ Cedric
Old 09-12-2008, 05:26 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by shortski
The clearance on the back & front of the tire is not an issue with the Spike Spider set up. The chain doesn't wrap around the outside of the tire. The four heavy "plastic" arms hold a chain with little spikes around the circumference of the tire. the only contact to the wheel is the adapter plate that mounts on the wheel studs, the "plastic" arms hold the chain in position on the tire, no chain is on the outside or inside of the tire, hence no clearance problems. The chain can be adjusted (with-in limitation for the tire size) for tight fitting around the circumference of the tire.

I tried the Z chains but I didn't like the fact they needed chain tighteners on the outside of the tire. I was concerned about what would happen if it should fail, and the damage it would do to the fender.
The spider is about the best way to go since it it considered a traction device and not chains. Chains are definitely a no-no. I can see using the spider only when it was absolutely necessary. But I would recommend going with winter tires first which will degrade the performance substantially. I just don't drive my Vette in the winter because of salt, hidden potholes and I have two other cars that can run circles around the Vette in snow.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:57 PM
BRIANSC6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patton
calgon take me away

Old 09-12-2008, 07:38 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

It's silly season for corvettes when you consider chains...
Old 09-12-2008, 08:01 PM
BRIANSC6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm Canadian and spend a lot of time in that section of the regional events and even we "Hosers" Eh don't even consider chains.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:21 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Tzzird
This is almost as crazy as the guy who towed a trailer to go camping a few weeks ago. Which reminds me that I have to look up that thread again to see what became of it.
Why is that crazy ? I have a small pop up that was made to pull behind the Vette or my Goldwing.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:35 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Cro
If I go along that line of thought, what about the other cars? I see quite a few cars out there made out of "plastic".

I'm not saying yes or no at this point, I'm just evaluating my options. there are tire chains, tire cables, tire wrappers and the plastic thing that shortski came up with (quite expensive though ... )

cedric
Driving with chains was commonplace when I first started to drive around 1960. I can't recall the last time I saw a car driving around here with chains in the winter. Radial tires are better in snow than the old bia ply, traction control, and, of course front wheel drive all contributed to the lack of people using them on cars. Yes, they would make some nice dents when a link let go, but the older cars could take a pretty good wack with the thicker metal. Fiberglass shreds and rips chunks out if a link lets go. I know other still go out in the snow, but my policy (I'm getting old) is not to leave the driveway until all the snow if off the roads. Not so much a fear of driving in the snow, but it's the other drivers who think just because they have an SUV or four wheel drive that they can go through anything. Only trouble is that they still don't stop any easier and everyone around here in lower CT drives way too fast for the conditions.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 PM
shortski
Drifting

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
TI have two other cars that can run circles around the Vette in snow.
It's not about the drive...it's the trip, when your driving a Corvette there's no such thing as the long way, just the best way. Drive it like you stole it..

shortski
Old 09-13-2008, 01:18 AM
larvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cro
Hi guys,

All in the title: anybody installed tire chains/cables on their vette? Any particular recommendations?

Thanks,

Cedric
Old 09-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Not Paid 4
Instructor

Location: You must be young and stupid before you become old and wise... Canton Georgia

I went to my local Chevrolet dealership and didn't see TRAILER HITCH on the list of GM accessories for the Corvette........... ..
Old 09-13-2008, 08:20 AM
CroOrange
Pro

Not so much a fear of driving in the snow, but it's the other drivers who think just because they have an SUV or four wheel drive that they can go through anything.
Tell me about it, people drive so bad you sometimes wonder how the heck they got their drivers license. This regardless of the country ...

Even when there is no snow they are dangerous ...

Anyway with the tires I put on in winter, I have been able to safely keep up with traffic in snow (without chains) ... but as my wife says, there are two important parts to driving: the car is one, the driver is the other serious factor to take into consideration.

Only trouble is that they still don't stop any easier and everyone around here in lower CT drives way too fast for the conditions.
In fact it's worse, their car being much more heavier needs more space to brake compared to cars like the Corvette on normal paving.

a++ Cedric

Last edited by CroOrange; 09-13-2008 at 08:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Coupe - Tire Chains/cables

Old 09-13-2008, 01:16 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Not Paid 4
I went to my local Chevrolet dealership and didn't see TRAILER HITCH on the list of GM accessories for the Corvette........... ..
If you are relying on GM for your aftermarket needs, you are deprived.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:28 PM
CroOrange
Pro

Originally Posted by shortski
I have them for my 96 CE, I only use them to get out of my steep driveway, then I remove them. Allows me to get out in a Vet during the cold long VT winters. We still get some nice days during the winter and going 5-6 months without driving one of my Vets is not an option.
Only on the back? How does it hold without anything in front??? Is it ok or so so?

Thanks,

Cedric
Old 09-13-2008, 01:36 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

4x4s or AWD do not break better in the snow providing the tires have the same traction. Getting moving is a different story though especially if you throw in a nice size hill. Traction control isn't always the best thing anyways since eventually it may overheat or as in my 96TA kick the pedal back when the wheels spin which is frequent on snow.

I'm more worried about possible wheel damage if I drove my Corvette in snow. In Utah we have hidden potholes during the winter. My Impala found one last year and I just found two bent rims on my car. I remember the thud last winter and they were well hidden.

So Corvette will stay in the garage when the white stuff flies for me. My Impala is a very capable car in the snow as is my wife's Denali. I don't drive either unsafe and I stay well within current conditions. Unlike a Corvette the Denali will also go over a decent amount of snow instead of through it.

Corvette owners go to the extreme about keeping their cars nice or are real picky of other people around their car (such as moving an air vent), but they'll drive down a salt covered road. I also wouldn't trust the undercarriage washes to remove all the crap. We always had to have our cars throughly cleaned underneath before we shipped it back to the US. Under carriage washes would cause the inspection to fail every time.

Quick Reply: C6 Coupe - Tire Chains/cables