C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Firestone Firehawks

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 03:03 PM
DEW IT 2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a set of the Firestone Wide Ovals on our C6 roadster since last July. I really like them. They are much quieter than the Goodyear F1 supercar tires, cost slightly more than half as much, will likely last twice as long and seem to handling every bit as good. I haven't run them on the track but know guys who have. They claim they are every bit as good and possibly better than the Goodyears.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by colesc5
Supposedly no duty to be paid on Firestone tires as they are manufactured in Canada! My buddy purchased some through Tire Rack I believe and brought them across with no problem! Can someone else verify this?

Ron
As far as I can remember, they are made in USA, but you still don't pay duty due to NAFTA etc. However, you will be hit with GST for sure. Plus you'll have to pay for installation/balancing etc.

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
What would you do if you had to buy tires at a Canada tire dealer? pay alot? Just curious...
We could probably only get the Goodyear Tires (if we get the store to order them, they never have them in stock) and the cost would work out to be about double (depending on the prevailing exchange rate). So it would be well worth the drive across Niagara Falls.

Originally Posted by DEW IT 2
I've had a set of the Firestone Wide Ovals on our C6 roadster since last July. I really like them. They are much quieter than the Goodyear F1 supercar tires, cost slightly more than half as much, will likely last twice as long and seem to handling every bit as good. I haven't run them on the track but know guys who have. They claim they are every bit as good and possibly better than the Goodyears.
Are the Wide Ovals the same tire as the Firehawk posted by the OP?
Old 10-12-2008, 03:19 PM
DEW IT 2
6th Gear

Go to the link posted previously by DonKey to see what they look like. That's easier than posting a picture.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:52 PM
TBonez
2005 Beast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Firestone Firehawks are Great

Great tires, I've had mine on for about a month and the car rides awesome and has great traction. Tire Rack $1,045 delivered and I didn't pay install because I had to wait too long at my corvette place so they didn't charge me installation. Great tires.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:36 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
...Are the Wide Ovals the same tire as the Firehawk posted by the OP?
Yes, the same ones. The complete name for these is Firehawk Wide Ovals. Firestone makes other tire models in a wide oval format as well and have been for years, but since the Firehawks conform to the wide oval format they named them Firehawk Wide Ovals.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:33 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I have not tried the new Michelin ZP's but IMHO the
FireHawks were the best run flat tire on the market.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by gota07
Yes, the same ones. The complete name for these is Firehawk Wide Ovals. Firestone makes other tire models in a wide oval format as well and have been for years, but since the Firehawks conform to the wide oval format they named them Firehawk Wide Ovals.

Originally Posted by TBonez
I had to wait too long at my corvette place so they didn't charge me installation. .
only in America!
Old 10-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Mocoso
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DEW IT 2

I agree on the noise and price but on the handling I put them half way between normal and z51 goodyears.. they are not as "nervous" as the Z51 Goodyears and wont track every rut on the road which makes for nicer cruising but when pushed hard they dont respond as well as the supercars - they arent as sticky and will get more spin at launch and I do feel more drift from rear end thru tight turns

Im still happier with the ovals as they are lasting much longer than the supercars but once in a while it does suck to lose the grip the supercars had... grip vs. longevity/cruising would have been a hard one were the price difference not been 2x
Old 10-13-2008, 07:16 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Firehawk Wide Ovals here as well, installed at 20k miles. Still looking good with plenty of wear left at 34k miles. Thats with a good bit of "spirited" driving involved, and a few thousand of those LOSB.

(Lowered On Stock Bolts )
Old 10-13-2008, 07:29 PM
2000WS6Vert
Instructor

I've got Wide Ovals and they are much better tires than the Supercars that came on the car. The car would get a little squirrely in heavy rain on the GY. So far....through several heavy downpours....the Firestones have not made me nervous once.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:06 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Put a set on my C-5 a couple of years ago, great tire. My buddy just put a set on his '05 and loves them. good choice.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:26 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Tell us where you got them as I would go there when visiting my sister in Newport...I'm assuming its near Westminster...
Old 10-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

All run flats are not created equal. The Firestone tires are only good for 50 miles when deflated and the Goodyears are good for 100 miles when deflated. The Goodyears have a 300 wear rating and the Firestones have a 320 wear rating. The higher wear rating would indicate the Firestones provide slightly less traction.

Some run flats are not repairable.

Just make certain you know all about the tire you are buying. I purchased a set of Michelins for my C5 and they were fine.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:54 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
All run flats are not created equal. The Firestone tires are only good for 50 miles when deflated and the Goodyears are good for 100 miles when deflated. The Goodyears have a 300 wear rating and the Firestones have a 320 wear rating. The higher wear rating would indicate the Firestones provide slightly less traction.
I just bought an 05 C6 with the Z51 it only has 6,000 miles on it, and the tires have a wear rating of 220 ? Are these different than the GoodYears you are talking about ?
Old 10-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Mocoso
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpee
I just bought an 05 C6 with the Z51 it only has 6,000 miles on it, and the tires have a wear rating of 220 ? Are these different than the GoodYears you are talking about ?
yes Goodyear has two sets for the vette - the ones that come in base suspension and the supercar F1 that come with the Z51 - I dont know if the wear rating on the tires from factory are the same as the ones aftermarket (not sure if GY puts less tread on factory installed vs sold customers) but assuming they stopped doing that kind of crap your 220 rating is for the Z51 and I would assume the 300 is for the other Goodyear

Also note that unless something changed in the last year or so tread rating is only usefull when comparing tires from the SAME manufacturer - Goodyear's 300 tread rating compared to Firestones 320 last I checked meant nothing as the rating is meant to measure relative to their own tires not across manufacturers but Im no expert

The 100 mile run flat vs 50 mile run flat is def. something to consider when buyin and it is something often overlooked by most albeit not a big factor for many
Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 AM
FlyByVette
Advanced

I still like the ride WAY better than the GY's.....

glad I could help!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:21 PM
akroen
Cruising

Default Firestone Tires

I put Firestone tires on my 05 , and loved them. Cheaper and a better ride. When the Goodyears on my new 08 go I will replace them with Firestones.

Get notified of new replies

To New Firestone Firehawks

Old 10-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Rich Farr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Thought I had different car!

The Firestones are so much quieter than the original tires, I thought I had a different vehicle. With the magnetic ride suspension, the ride is very smooth with great cornering. I have had 3 sets of Goodyears - 2 on my C5 and one on my C6 - all terrible. I replaced the Goodyears on my C5 with Michelin runflats. They were better, but not anywhere as good as the C6 Firestones.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:58 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Donkey
Luckily you don't have to worry about that what if with these tires...they are also run flats. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....(Y)&minLoad=LL
Why does the tire not do well at low ambient temps?

"....The Firehawk Wide Oval RFT is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice......"
Old 10-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

One thing to remember about tire life ratings like 220 300 etc, is that rating is only to compare tires within that MFG's lineup. IE: Firestones rating is not the same as Goodyears for a given tire. The Firestone runflats are better by far than the GY runflats. Just the ride improvement alone is worth the price.

Quick Reply: New Firestone Firehawks