C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help--Ignition switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 PM
bchenier535
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Help--Ignition switch problem

Early today I got a check engine light that stayed on even after shutdown. Went to autozone and codes p2176 (minimum throttle position not learned) and p1682 ( ignition 1 switch circuit 2) came up. Car ran fine even though check engine light stayed on but later on after shutdown car would still run for a few seconds. Tonight I started it up and this time when I press button to shutdown car continues to run. Red light on button comes on and engine is still running. I then pressed button a second time and amber light came on and accessory message came on DIC and engine was still running. While all this was going on I could still rev engine with accelerator. I then pressed button to start and the press brake to start message came on DIC with the engine still running. After this motor finally shutdown. I tried this 2 more times with the same results. Taking it to dealer Monday and won't be starting it anymore till then. I'm afraid it may not shut down at all. Calling Talon90 or shopdog. Any ideas what the problem might be?
Old 10-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Ben, I wonder if your switch is going bad...? Has it ever been removed? Possibly not reinstalled/ plugged in completely? Sounds like a bad/ loose connection somewhere?

Hopefully the Guru(Talon90) is in the house tonight.

Good luck...

Tom
Old 10-25-2008, 10:08 PM
bchenier535
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Tom_Slick
Ben, I wonder if your switch is going bad...? Has it ever been removed? Possibly not reinstalled/ plugged in completely? Sounds like a bad/ loose connection somewhere?

Hopefully the Guru(Talon90) is in the house tonight.

Good luck...

Tom
It's the original switch and has never been removed before. It may be going bad.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bchenier535
It's the original switch and has never been removed before. It may be going bad.
Mass produced small plastic pieces like this are fragile/ easily damaged... If that's all it is, a new switch would be a quick fix.

Tom
Old 10-26-2008, 02:26 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The switch is working. It is going to accessory, and it causes the DIC to warn you to press the brake to start. That means the signal is getting to the BCM in order to generate those responses. Now there may be a problem with the GMLAN over which the BCM communicates with the ECM (which actually controls starting and stopping the engine). Or there could be a problem with either the BCM or the ECM. I normally lean toward electromechanical or purely electrical wiring issues as the main sorts of failures in these cars, but this may be one of the rare times that there is actually an ECM failure. The throttle position learn code says this isn't just a start switch issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Help--Ignition switch problem

Quick Reply: Help--Ignition switch problem