C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weak c6 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 05:34 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

you may or may not be looking in the right place, here. maybe it would be good to talk to corvette racing teams that actually race at night, light mfrs. to see what they offer, or other night racing teams that may have some ideas. obviously, the info isn't here.

I can't tell you if the highs are better or worse than any I've had before because I don't use them much at all.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:48 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Gotta agree, the low beams are so good I rarely need the high beams. And better than most cars, the lows stay on with the highs. No problem here.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may actually be the color of light that you are sensitive to. I find my C6 has the best headlights on any car I've driven. I also have a Benz and although the light is a different color, it does not make the road appear to be better illuminated, at least to me. You might also check with your dealer to make sure your lights are properly aligned as mentioned above.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:18 PM
TLK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Corvette needs active headlights

No actually the OP is right. The lights do need improvement. They work great on city streets and highways even, but on unlit backroads with tight curves, hills and intersections in the middle of nowhere with stop signs, I find myself often fighting to see where I'm going. Active headlights like BMWs would help in this regard.

The HIDs don't project much out to the sides, so in tight, slow curves and aforementioned intersections, you can't see to either side. I've found that the high beams are very concentrated like pencil beams and point very straight down the road. Great on straights, but if that's not where you're eventually heading, there isn't that much light getting around.

The Halogen US spec (not Euro spec) headlights on my old M3 were better in this regard. I never had trouble in those rural situations. However, the C6 headlights are superior in the city streets, which is most of my nighttime driving anyway.

Still I wish the high beams would scatter out more to the sides or that a driving light retrofit for the fog lights was available.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Strikervette
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, i agree with you tlk... For night riving round town, of course there's no problem. But, on a dark night on a country road ( i live in alabama, with a lot of rural roads), the bright lights are really weak... There's very little lighting definition to the sides of the road... Both the left and right sides.

Drive a modern merc, for instance (must be "bi-xenon spec), and there is a bright "arc" of light ahead and to the sides. They are, quite simply, amazing!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:50 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

I think you have a Vitamin A deficiency, a daily flintstone supplement will fix that night blindness right up.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Although not up to the quality of the bi-xenon technology, you might want to consider trying the PIAA H9 XTREME WHITE PLUS # 70955 replacements for your high-beams. They are a direct swap, same power draw but produce a far better high beam spread....whiter and further down the road. To my eyes they made a tremendous difference..about $90.00 for a pair.

I found them here...

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...Search=piaa+h9

Last edited by Motorhead-47; 11-22-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:52 PM
moolys
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by fastskyline
wow...i dont know what to say. the vette has the best headlights of any car i have ever driven.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Strikervette
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the info...i'll try this solution.
Its obvious a lot more people think the lights aren't up to scratch... There's a thread going to replace the foglights with hid's to double the lighting power of the car...

Again, thanks for the tip on the replacement globes!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:59 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The reason that the high beams don't look so great is because of the excellence of the low beam patterns and color. The high beams are only meant to put a couple of long distance spots out there in the middle of the pattern. The lows stay on with the highs and provide the light for the sides of the road. Both sets of lights are very well controlled and don't just throw alot of light out everywhere; they put the light out in a perfect pattern.
The high beams are capable of illuminating road signs on a flat road at a distance of one mile...can't ask for more than that.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:20 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
The reason that the high beams don't look so great is because of the excellence of the low beam patterns and color. The high beams are only meant to put a couple of long distance spots out there in the middle of the pattern. The lows stay on with the highs and provide the light for the sides of the road. Both sets of lights are very well controlled and don't just throw alot of light out everywhere; they put the light out in a perfect pattern.
The high beams are capable of illuminating road signs on a flat road at a distance of one mile...can't ask for more than that.
I agree that the stock lights are excellent. However, if bi-xenon is what the poster wants, the Caddy XLR uses bi-xenons. I'll bet your Caddy dealer would be very eager to help you trade up to the XLR.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW.

If the C6 headlights aren't bright enough, maybe you could install the bulbs from here.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:08 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

If you can't see with the lights in a c6...do us all a favor and don't drive at night....

I get flashed because people think I'm on high beams and I never use high...ever or the fogs...
Old 11-22-2008, 11:41 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I replaced my hi-beams with HIDs, makes a significant difference along with the HID fogs.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:06 AM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

don't all the cars you listed sit higher than a Vette? maybe the higher view/field of vision is making you think you see better. just a thought
btw i like my 08 lights much improved over 03
Old 11-23-2008, 12:17 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Your kidding right? About the headlights being weak..
Work great for me.. You would never survive in the C5...
Cataracts maybe?
Old 11-23-2008, 12:34 AM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have always been into nice lighting and retrofits and stuff. Here are a few problems I have noted that people do. First off it is NOT a good idea to put HID's in the fog lights. Those lenses are designed for a certain halogen bulb NOT HID output. You will be putting out a dangerous amount of glare to oncoming drivers.

As to the person that says you get flashed a lot in your C6 with the lows on then there is a problem. Your lights for whatever reason are aimed too high. You should never get flashed with HID projectors as they have a very sharp cutoff that if aimed properly will always be below the oncoming drives eyes. I would check the aim of your headlights. It is very critical that a HID projector is aimed correctly.

As far as you guys mentioning the side output not being that great you may be right. That is completely due to the type of projector used in the C6. Usually its either or. If you have a projector that provides a very wide beam then it will usually suffer in down the road lighting. Or one that focuses a lot of light down the road will have less output on the sides. On the HID forums (yes there are HID forums LOL). One of the best projectors of all time in all regards is the Honda S2000. Very close to that are E-code clear lens Acura TSX projectors which I retrofitted into my Honda Accord. They are unbelievable!

Get notified of new replies

To Weak c6 headlights

Old 11-23-2008, 01:03 AM
AfrBurNr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strikervette
Hi.
Actually, no, it isn't a joke, but a serious enquiry if anyone knows how to make them better... I guess i've just been spoiled by the excellent lights on the other cars i have ... This posting isn't meant to "knock" the vette... I really like my vette... More than any of the other cars! It's fun to drive, cheap to run and service, has lots of interior space, ample power... ) it's just this one point that really disappoints me... Sorry guys!
I'm sure you could buy a cheap kit on ebay.. I was thinking about it but I NEVER use the highbeams cause im in brooklyn newyork and we have street lights

I do however think its kind of ironic that your avatar is of a C6 headlight

try a kit from ebay
Old 11-23-2008, 01:15 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
you may or may not be looking in the right place, here. maybe it would be good to talk to corvette racing teams that actually race at night, light mfrs. to see what they offer, or other night racing teams that may have some ideas. obviously, the info isn't here.

I can't tell you if the highs are better or worse than any I've had before because I don't use them much at all.
There isn't much need to use them, unlike some cars where you feel the threat to make you use them.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:15 AM
SweetBlueZ51
Racer

All I can say is that I think the C6 lights are fantastic, and the high beams when needed are also top notch. It would be nice if they turned left/right on turns, but it's not needed. I find if I put on my fog lights it gives me some extra light to the sides when needed. Sounds like your lights need adjusting, but for this to happen for two C6 vettes is improbable... seems you just don't like them compared to other cars and I guess you should consider trying to replace them with different bulbs like someone earlier suggested.
The following users liked this post:
09LS3 (04-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Weak c6 headlights