C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weak c6 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:25 AM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

I would agree with the OP that the high beams on the C6 are worthless ... I have adjusted them, used higher wattage bulbs, etc. and they simply do not throw any useful light on the road. I too would be interested in anything to improve them, but given the size and shape of the housing/reflector, I doubt this is possible.

The low-beams, on the other hand, are simply the best I have seen, including any number of M-B and BMWs that I have driven here and in Europe. If the OP thinks his low-beams are bad, he should check their aim (from the factory, mine were aimed too high, so I lowered them to an appropriate cut-off ... ). They have a nice sharp vertical cut-off, just like a good headlight should have (and pass the Euro-spec test unchanged, which is a first for Corvette).

I would be interested to hear from anybody that has done HID high-beams and if they got any improvement out of the mod.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:13 AM
traveller
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fastskyline
wow...i dont know what to say. the vette has the best headlights of any car i have ever driven.
They are better than any other car I've ever driven!!!
Old 11-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

The 350Z had the best lighting system I have ever experienced. Except for My 65 GTO with Lucas Flame Throwers! My wife has commented on the LS3 poor lighting system too! With my work hours and car not a DD I am not out at night much so not a problem at this time.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:32 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

For what it's worth....

Just about all the roads I drive here are unlit, rural two lane blacktops. Most are very twisty and surrounded by dense forest....and lots of deer and moose waiting to jump out at you. All I have are reflectors on the sides of most roads to mark the typically narrow shoulders..

The lights on the C6 are good, but they are certainly not exceptional. As others have already pointed out, the low beams do a fine job and are actually better than most other cars. The high beams, however, probably rate somewhere above average but do not compare favorably with the best Xenon light systems out there.

Compared to my recent 2006 Audi A4, and my new 2009 Audi A4, the C6 lights are just not as good. They're okay and I never feel that they are inadequate, but they would be an awful lot better if the high beams also used Xenons...which they don't. Very good when compared to standard, non-Xenon systems, but only average at best when compared to good Xenon equipped cars. My Audi lights up at least another 50 feet of road in front of the car, and the beam is brighter.

IMHO, this is another area where GM can probably improve the car with little capital outlay. Since the C7 is a rapidly fading concept, it might behoove GM to really finesse the C6 design that will apparently be with us for a few more years. Simpler lighting controls might be another area ... get rid of that overly complex stalk and put in a simple and intuitive rotary dial like most other cars use. Better lights and better lighting controls...even GM should be able to handle that.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting observation. I feel the low beams work well and provide excellent peripheral illumination but the high beams are a bit 'narrow' in focus. I've wondered if the differing lights used in combination (high + low beams) tend to wash each other out a bit. Overall, I'm not dissatisfied with the C6 headlights but I feel there's room for improvement.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:36 AM
nitromt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
I have always been into nice lighting and retrofits and stuff. Here are a few problems I have noted that people do. First off it is NOT a good idea to put HID's in the fog lights. Those lenses are designed for a certain halogen bulb NOT HID output. You will be putting out a dangerous amount of glare to oncoming drivers.

As to the person that says you get flashed a lot in your C6 with the lows on then there is a problem. Your lights for whatever reason are aimed too high. You should never get flashed with HID projectors as they have a very sharp cutoff that if aimed properly will always be below the oncoming drives eyes. I would check the aim of your headlights. It is very critical that a HID projector is aimed correctly.

As far as you guys mentioning the side output not being that great you may be right. That is completely due to the type of projector used in the C6. Usually its either or. If you have a projector that provides a very wide beam then it will usually suffer in down the road lighting. Or one that focuses a lot of light down the road will have less output on the sides. On the HID forums (yes there are HID forums LOL). One of the best projectors of all time in all regards is the Honda S2000. Very close to that are E-code clear lens Acura TSX projectors which I retrofitted into my Honda Accord. They are unbelievable!
That is some good information.

1. Make sure your HID projectors are aimed correctly. In your case, they may be aimed too low.
2. The high beam may be weak. But that's probably in comparison with your low beam.
3. DO NOT put HIDs into the fogs because the housing is not designed for HIDs. Also, at night, you don't want a flood of light right in front of you. That will hurt your night vision. The ideal lightly situation in the dark just enough light evely spread over a wide area so you can see everything and still keep your night vision.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:12 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

The best HID lights imho were in my BMW with bi-xenon with adaptive lights.
I agree the C6 lights are not as good as some of the other MFG but they sure arn't horrible.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:54 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
I think you have a Vitamin A deficiency, a daily flintstone supplement will fix that night blindness right up.
Originally Posted by coolcat
You sir have a night time vision problem. Better see an eye doctor SOON!!! Compared to my 03 coupe the 08 that I now own has far superior headlights. Viva HID's.
Originally Posted by WHT
You should run (not drive) to the nearest eye doctor.
Originally Posted by C6~Missle
Work great for me.. You would never survive in the C5...
Cataracts maybe?
I don't think it's the OP who's suffering from blindness.

He's holding up the C6 headlights up to a higher standard than the C5. Is an improvement to the C6 so unimaginable?

I agree with some others about the side illumination. In the twisties, it's really lacking. I use the fogs just to throw some light into the corners. It would be nice to re-rig the system to allow the high-beams and fogs on at the same time.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:21 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
... One of the best projectors of all time in all regards is the Honda S2000. Very close to that are E-code clear lens Acura TSX projectors which I retrofitted into my Honda Accord. They are unbelievable!
while I agree with all that you posted, I thought about this one since my friend bought a TSX. Having ridden in her prior car, a Malibu, and then to the TSX, both of us were surprised at how good the lights were at night. She does some backroads but mostly low-beam driving. Those really are some of the best low-beam lights I've seen at night. But for low-beams, I do think the Corvette is close.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:33 PM
nitromt
Racer

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
The best HID lights imho were in my BMW with bi-xenon with adaptive lights.
I agree the C6 lights are not as good as some of the other MFG but they sure arn't horrible.
The best are actually found in the Acura and Honda S2000. I believe those have the sharpest cutoff on the market. They're highly sought after for nearly all retrofitting.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:12 PM
LEXUS430
Racer

i really don't understand this i've had a lot of cars over the past 20 years or so probably 15 or so from vettes to a viper an aston matin , jag,ets and the vettes lights are the best by far
Old 11-23-2008, 08:16 PM
adkping
Racer

Originally Posted by gbgary
Old 11-23-2008, 08:23 PM
wase13
Racer

Originally Posted by Strikervette
I agree, the low-beams are ok... But to me the hi's are really weak... This car really needs bi-xenons. Anyone know of an available retrofit kit? Anyone know how one could maybe take the light assy's (just the xenon part, without reflector) from another make of car, and retrofit so that it wouldn't be noticeable?

(try out any european car with bi-xenons... Even a golf gti has better lights than the vette! (and, i love my vette except for the lights)!
do you use high beams often? I think i only used high only couple of times in the past 3 years
Old 11-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Just Buy It
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I had an '05 c6, and now have an '08 c6. My complaint with both these cars is the extremely poor lighting.... In fact, if there were any one thing i would ask chevy to do to the corvette, it would be "fix the lights!"

is there anything one can do, or is there some "retrofit" kit to upgrade the headlights? Compared with my merc slk, (bi-xenons) and my merc ml (also bi-xenon) i would rate the intensity ofthe c6 lights at less than 50% of these cars. My 2004 porsche c4s had even better lights!

(for the record, the thrill of driving the c6 is at lease twice as great as any of the other cars mentioned... Love the vette (in the daytime)).

Ok, here in the usa we are forced to drive slowly... But consider driving one of these on the autobahn at night, doing 150mph plus, with 70mph lights... It'd be suicide!
I agree that my low beams were bad. I finally had to adjust them up a bit for better coverage. There is a thread on here on how to do it. a very simple allen key adjustment. Hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:05 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

My '05 C6 has the best lights of any car I've ever owned. I can't imagine them being any better without oncoming traffic constantly thinking I have my brights turned on...
Old 11-23-2008, 09:13 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,582 Likes on 1,622 Posts

You should have driven a C5 first
Old 11-23-2008, 09:17 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just came back from a 65 mile drive at night...I like my 09 coupe's headlights a lot.
However, my CTS headlights were really exceptional, but the higher seating position makes them seem like they have more throw.........
Maybe an alignment on your vette lights would help. Your perception could also be a function of low seating position.

Get notified of new replies

To Weak c6 headlights

Old 11-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Strikervette
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just went out in both my cars at night to compare. I sit just as low in my SLK as I do in my Vette... The SLK Bi-Xenons are absolutely superb (dim and Bright)! the Vette's are only great on dim... brights are awful compared to the SLK.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:48 PM
myvette1
Instructor

I suggest a 4300k HID fog light conversion kit and hyper yellow or 2500k temp high beams. I did it on my C6 and what an improvement. I don't have a problem with my low beams but the high beam didn't do the job well ... I noticed a big difference with the hid fog lights and yellow high beams.. good luck!!...
Old 11-24-2008, 03:12 AM
lstorm2003
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No joke guys... I have 20 / 20 vision... (have to, as i'm a pilot (without corrective lenses!)).
Why do you have to have 20/20 to be a pilot? Are you a military pilot?

Quick Reply: Weak c6 headlights