C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$77 XM Radio Is Alive & Well

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 02:57 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,132 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by LowFlight
How long is your new car free XM last? Dad just bought a new Z06 and doesn't have a clue? I am not stupid enough to buy new cars...so I don't know either?
Not for very long!!! 3 months from when the dealer activates with XM.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Quasar21
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by branmin
Just wait and see what happens to you next year when they will automatically deduct from your CC over $145.00..........buyer beware..I would suggest to you that you email them online and ask them to confirm to you in writing that you forbid them to do this without your authority first..........
Nope.. Way ahead of you. I've already told them that they not authorized to renew automatically. But thanks.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:45 PM
JayO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh well - if you already told them then surely they will not automatically renew......
Old 12-25-2008, 11:48 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Or if you do give them a credit card make sure it is one that will expire. With no new expiration date it is worthless.

Personally, I'm thinking about canceling mine. Too many commercials, DJs and stations that are out of order temporarily.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:32 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

They tried to bill my CC company for my renewal but the CC company denied it. And it wasnt for $77 either...2 radios was $245. All without my knowledge until I got my letter from XM. Mine will lapse and I will be back to cd's and FM.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:06 AM
routesixtysix
Racer

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Never ever give XM a credit card number. You will be fighting with them next year on the overage due auto renewal at the full rate. I have gotten the $77 deal 3 years in a row. You just have to be tough enough to go thru with cancellation.
3rd year for me also. I use a temporary credit card number only good for two months.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:02 AM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

I renewed mine for $77 a few weeks back and it only took me a few minutes.
I called and just went straight to the cancellation option on the menu. The person who took the call asked why I was cancelling and I told her that I don't listen to it much and didn't think it was worth it to pay for XM radio for the little that I use it. She offered a 9.95 a month deal and I told her to just cancel. She offered me the $77 a year deal and I told her that for that price I would try it for another year. I told her to bill me.
The truth is that I don't think it's worth more than $77 a year and would have cancelled if they hadn't offered it to me for that. We have no shortage of great FM stations in our area and the only advantage I see with XM is the ability to keep one station tuned in when on trips. Seeking and scaning for FM when driving long distances on an Interstate is a PIA. But, I don't really take those kind of road trips in the Vette that often anyway so I could live without the XM if the price were any higher.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 197 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

After two years at $77 I just couldn't keep fighting the fight and making the calls. Settled for the $9.99 per month or $120 for the year. They bill me, I will not give them the CC. Good luck to all those trying, I see the deal is still out there, but not for me.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Roothog69
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just activated mine this morning for $77.00. They asked for a promotional code for that deal, I just read them the e-mail that was posted. They did mention that they would automatically renew after the first year, I'm sure for the full price. Anyway I just programmed 12 XM stations and it's time for a ride with the top off and AC/DC thru the speakers. Oh by the way it's 82 degrees here in Orlando.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Quasar21
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JVM225
I renewed mine for $77 a few weeks back and it only took me a few minutes.
I called and just went straight to the cancellation option on the menu. The person who took the call asked why I was cancelling and I told her that I don't listen to it much and didn't think it was worth it to pay for XM radio for the little that I use it. She offered a 9.95 a month deal and I told her to just cancel. She offered me the $77 a year deal and I told her that for that price I would try it for another year. I told her to bill me.
The truth is that I don't think it's worth more than $77 a year and would have cancelled if they hadn't offered it to me for that. We have no shortage of great FM stations in our area and the only advantage I see with XM is the ability to keep one station tuned in when on trips. Seeking and scaning for FM when driving long distances on an Interstate is a PIA. But, I don't really take those kind of road trips in the Vette that often anyway so I could live without the XM if the price were any higher.
The biggest reason I re-subscribed is that this area, Atlanta Metro, has without a doubt the worst radio station I've ever been torched with. The good news is, if you wait a couple of weeks, they'll change their format. We have an unlimited number of hip hop stations and a couple of "Talk more than music" country stations. This is a horrible market for people with my music tastes.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:27 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Quasar05
The biggest reason I re-subscribed is that this area, Atlanta Metro, has without a doubt the worst radio station I've ever been torched with. The good news is, if you wait a couple of weeks, they'll change their format. We have an unlimited number of hip hop stations and a couple of "Talk more than music" country stations. This is a horrible market for people with my music tastes.
Luckily we don't have that problem around here. We have several FM stations that play the kind of music I like and we have two good all news stations on AM available if I want up to the minute information. The XM is more of a novelty to me and I find myself flipping through the FM stations pretty often anyway.
I do like the XM for road trips but I don't take enough of them to warrant paying more than $77 a years for the service.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Quasar21
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JayO
Oh well - if you already told them then surely they will not automatically renew......
Sarcasim noted...
You're damn right they won't. I'll start on them next November and remind them every day. I retire January 1 and I'll need something to keep me occupied.

Last edited by Quasar21; 12-26-2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: To correct my crappy spelling
Old 12-26-2008, 09:24 PM
WHT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
After two years at $77 I just couldn't keep fighting the fight and making the calls. Settled for the $9.99 per month or $120 for the year. They bill me, I will not give them the CC. Good luck to all those trying, I see the deal is still out there, but not for me.

My wife likes XM in her car and every year I tell her that she will be the one who calls next year. And, every year she bribes me to call for her.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:38 AM
Glen1224
Burning Brakes

Location: Lower Macungie Township ; Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Roothog69
I just activated mine this morning for $77.00. They asked for a promotional code for that deal, I just read them the e-mail that was posted. They did mention that they would automatically renew after the first year, I'm sure for the full price. Anyway I just programmed 12 XM stations and it's time for a ride with the top off and AC/DC thru the speakers. Oh by the way it's 82 degrees here in Orlando.
I'm glad you took advantage of my post and that you read it to your friendly XM rep. I did the same thing with my Onstar renewal and got the discounted price (someone posted their e-mail promotion on here for Onstar). BTW there was no promotional code mentioned in the e-mail I received. I just copied and pasted the letter and deleted my personal info.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Alreadyinuse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apparently it's barely alive and not well at all..

Originally Posted by Srebbie
I just got my renewal letter from XM stating their wonderfully discounted rates of $142.45/year and up. I called & asked them what they could do for me. I didn't want more than a year as I wasn't sure they were in for the long haul & I don't use my car more than 7-8 months a year. When they wouldn't budge I told them I'll probably cancel so they transferred to their "Salvage Yard"(my name for it). They also offered me $142.45 which I declined. I said I'll probably just let the coverage lapse. As soon as I said that out came the $77 offer. I told them to book it. 10 minutes of my time was worth it.

I read somewhere it's one of the picks among companies forecasted to go belly up during the first part of next year. I couldn't find that article but here is one you will see if you search for XM/Sirius + bankruptcy:
http://www.contrarianprofits.com/art...m-profits/9125
Old 01-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Rob144
1st Gear

Default Is there a code with this e-mail?

Originally Posted by Glen1224
FYI: I got this in my e-mail on Dec 19th 2008. NOTE the $77 for 12 months listed below.

We have some good news to share now that SIRIUS and XM* have merged:
new programming and new pricing plans.

XM has a new lineup with over 170 channels of premier music, sports, news, and entertainment from both XM and SIRIUS. With the XM Everything package you can now experience new channels and programs, new personalities, legendary DJs, and celebrity hosts for an unsurpassed entertainment experience.

Also, for the first time on your XM Radio, you can add The Best of SIRIUS, which brings together some of SIRIUS’s heaviest hitters.

The NFL® on SIRIUS. Hear every NFL® game, every week, plus 24/7 news and analysis on SIRIUS NFL® Radio.

Two dedicated channels of Howard Stern. Hear the Howard Stern Show live, with repeats all day and much more.

Hear every NASCAR® race, plus 24/7 news and analysis on SIRIUS NASCAR® Radio.

Martha Stewart and her lifestyle experts will teach, advise, and inspire you on the first 24-hour radio channel dedicated to great living.

Along with an updated channel lineup, there are new prices and plans available.

XM Everything - Over 170 channels to find what turns you on! From music channels, sports, news, talk and original channels like Oprah & Friends®.
$4.99†/month for first 3 months or $77† for 12 months

News, Sports + Talk - Over 55 channels give you just the facts: great news, talk, and sports channels.
$9.99/month

Mostly Music - Over 60 channels of XM's best commercial-free music. A good choice for budget-conscious music lovers.
$9.99/month

XM Everything Plus The Best of SIRIUS - Over 180 channels, including every XM channel, Plus The Best of SIRIUS. For the first time, you can have it all! $16.99/month

SEE A PACKAGE THAT’S RIGHT FOR YOU?

It’s All In One Place: New exclusive programming. More choices. Better value. All on your current radio.

For more information, visit www.gm.xmradio.com.

Sincerely,
Richard M. Lee
Executive Director
Satellite Radio Services
GM
I called XM with the details of this e-mail, but the agent asked for a discount code. I tried the old ZWINBACK77 code, but he transferred me, causing the line to go dead.

Did your e-mail come with a code of any sort?

Thanks,
Rob144
Old 01-06-2009, 06:01 PM
nickTsandman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Default $77 XM Radio Is Alive & Well

Just renewed 1 year of $77.00.

Get notified of new replies

To $77 XM Radio Is Alive & Well

Old 01-06-2009, 06:35 PM
mrbill43
Instructor

Old 01-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Lyons16
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi,

I just went through the same routine as most of you did, trying to get the 77.00 price for the third time. I went through the cancelation deptartment and they finally gave it to me. She did say, this will stop after this year. Next year, nobody will be getting the 77.00 price. Just thought I share this with all of you, not sure if this will truly happen...we'll see!!

Jerry
Old 01-07-2009, 04:06 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Last week I called for a renewal and told them that I wanted the same price as last year ($77) or I'd just cancel. They sent me to another department where the lady said that I had gotten that price for three years when it was just a promotional price and they wouldn't give it again. So I told her to cancel the subscription and she said she would.

I only use it in the Corvette and then only listen to two stations. So I started thinking afterwards that maybe I should just cancel whether they offer it again or not. It's not a lot of money but for the little time I use it I can probablly get along with CDs or a regular station.

What I like is that on long trips you can continue to listen to the same station.

Quick Reply: $77 XM Radio Is Alive & Well