C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Battery Relocation on a C6 *Pics Inside* (non Z06)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:22 AM
SHen350
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one would be interested in doing this. As for everyone asking why do it, I give you my 99 C5 as an example. The battery started leaking (do to sitting and the trickle charger going kaput), and the acid got all over the electric harness that is located under the battery. Cost me about $7500 to replace with parts and labor. I now go and visit my C5 every week even though it means visiting the parents too. (great food though) So I would consider doing this to my C6 even though I keep it at the house. Of course I'm not sure that I have the ability or the tools to do it myself.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Nice job.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:13 AM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Outstanding job and thanks for taking the time for writing up the relocation and with the pictures. Very professionally done, it is members like you that make this site great.

Why is being asked by those that are not into weight transfer and weight savings, damn a 17 lb weight reduction with just a change of a battery that is super.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:22 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the detailed write-up

My only concern is the current draw requirements of the C6.. So many electronic gadgets and power requirements.... The full sized battery has problems keeping up...
Old 12-28-2008, 09:26 AM
SlideRulz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by su8pack1
Nice job.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
As far as the weight transfer issue is concerned...I think the corvette is already at 50/50 in stock form.

I believe the OP moved his battery to the rear was to clean up his engine compartment (with a little weight savings in the process) which isn't a bad idea....

My solution is to keep the battery up front and install a battery box around it.
For the record every spec sheet Ive seen on the C6 has it listed at 51/49. Relocation of the battery gets its close to that (magical?) 50/50.Any weight savings is a good thing and when combined with better balancing its a win/win. I'm going to do it because there is a new 70lb lump of Blower sitting on my nose now and Id like to get it closer to stock footing.

Last edited by NYC6; 12-28-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:21 AM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HawaiiC6
Why is being asked by those that are not into weight transfer and weight savings, damn a 17 lb weight reduction with just a change of a battery that is super.
Plus it's off the front wheels AND behind the rear axle; great performance mod.

And the C6 is 51/49 - 49/51 would be more like it.
The following users liked this post:
JSracing (08-19-2020)
Old 12-28-2008, 11:25 AM
cencalc6
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro4Life
Why????!

haha, nice, keep doing these tuts if you can, I would love to see a clean engine bay.
Thanks

Originally Posted by gota07
Assuming you have a stock audio system etc. what kind of lifespan can you expect to get from the smaller braille battery?
Maybe an aftermarket head unit but thats it, as for the life of the battery thats something I gotta find out. I have done plenty of small battery relocations on other cars and never had a problem but they were not a complicated as the C6

Originally Posted by NYC6
I guess alot of people on this forum never heard of something called weight transfer.

Great writeup and pics.

My car is in the shop now getting a Vortech installed. This is something Im going to do.
I also have supercharger and lots of heat is created underneath the hood so this is a plus

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
As far as the weight transfer issue is concerned...I think the corvette is already at 50/50 in stock form.

I believe the OP moved his battery to the rear was to clean up his engine compartment (with a little weight savings in the process) which isn't a bad idea....

My solution is to keep the battery up front and install a battery box around it.
Absolutely correct thanks for the comments Oh! Btw thats a great Idea on the battery box
Old 12-28-2008, 11:35 AM
cencalc6
Melting Slicks

For the record every spec sheet Ive seen on the C6 has it listed at 51/49. Relocation of the battery gets its close to that (magical?) 50/50.Any weight savings is a good thing and when combined with better balancing its a win/win. I'm going to do it because there is a new 70lb lump of Blower sitting on my nose now and Id like to get it closer to stock footing.

Originally Posted by avizandum
Plus it's off the front wheels AND behind the rear axle; great performance mod.

And the C6 is 51/49 - 49/51 would be more like it.
Did not know that like the way your thinking, great info

Originally Posted by HawaiiC6
Outstanding job and thanks for taking the time for writing up the relocation and with the pictures. Very professionally done, it is members like you that make this site great.

Thanks for the kind words
Old 12-28-2008, 12:30 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I agree.

For those who have a supercharger and understand weight transfer and weight savings the 'why' is for the same reason we mod in the first place. 'Why' is why we bump compression 1/2 a point with a cam swap. 'Why' is why we use ARP bolts instead of GM bolts. 'Why' is why we run r-compound tires. 'Why" is why we tune for headers. 'Why' is why we port intake manifolds.

Taking 34 pounds off the front and placing 17 over the rear wheels helps traction. It also compensates for the added 60-70 pounds from a supercharger returning the cars weight distribution back to stock.

Now, why does a guy drop 1400 bucks for an aftermarket exhaust system when it does nothing for performance compared to an NPP or Z06 unit?

Very few mods come without a price. Aftermarket cams/springs wont last as long as stock.....if that keeps you from modding then dont mod. Instead of lasting 5 years its a 3 yr battery. I usually dont own a car long enough to see two batteries. I expect the 170 cost of the traction gained is worth it to some but then this isnt the tech section and the general section is home to some guys that would lower the corvette's engine power for better gas mileage.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 12-28-2008 at 12:58 PM.
JSracing (08-19-2020)
Old 12-28-2008, 02:42 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice install and pics.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:10 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,252 Likes on 916 Posts

Great post, now it will live forever in the search function.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:43 PM
2xmks
Racer

Nice write up. Looking good. I too am curious to see the final results.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:00 PM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Great, informative write up, keep them coming!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:17 PM
bencini231
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by peter pan
Nicely done and very good write up
Old 12-29-2008, 03:53 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One of the best posts on the site right now. I've wanted to do this since before I had a supercharger, and I am very happy someone else figured out a clean, professional way of doing it.

BTW I really don't understand all the "why" people. Why did you buy a Corvette? Because you wanted a fast car? This makes the C6 lighter, better balanced, and improves traction by relocating weight over the rear axle. Why on earth would you not want that? I imagine some of the guys asking why probably wouldn't understand why guys like me, Spinmonster, and cencalrx7 have superchargers either... The C6 is plenty fast for you from the factory, right?
JSracing (08-19-2020)
Old 12-31-2008, 02:06 PM
cencalc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
One of the best posts on the site right now. I've wanted to do this since before I had a supercharger, and I am very happy someone else figured out a clean, professional way of doing it.

BTW I really don't understand all the "why" people. Why did you buy a Corvette? Because you wanted a fast car? This makes the C6 lighter, better balanced, and improves traction by relocating weight over the rear axle. Why on earth would you not want that? I imagine some of the guys asking why probably wouldn't understand why guys like me, Spinmonster, and cencalrx7 have superchargers either... The C6 is plenty fast for you from the factory, right?

Thank you very much for the kinds words

Get notified of new replies

To DIY Battery Relocation on a C6 *Pics Inside* (non Z06)

Old 12-31-2008, 02:35 PM
BriscoCounty
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the write up and pics. I have no interest in doing this, but its always interesting to see what others do to their cars and the "how to" posts are usually the more enjoyable ones. And as an engineer, the first thing I think of when I see some mod like this is; "how did they do that?". So I enjoy reading these threads. Thanks.

And most importantly, its a thread that is not about Z51 or badges, and we need more of that here!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Flash99
Pro

Nice job, doesnt matter "Why" its because YOU wanted to do it and share. Everyone does things differently, and this is just another way of modding.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:07 PM
12leavu
Racer

how is this set up working for you? i noticed on the site, from the link you posted, that the battery is designed to be run in series with another battery. if your only running one of these, how is it working out?

Quick Reply: DIY Battery Relocation on a C6 *Pics Inside* (non Z06)