C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be concernced about "WD1 - PILOT VEHICLE"

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:33 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Don't worry about it... Buy the car and enjoy it!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If it's in good shape and you like it, would be kinda neat to have a car with a story behind it. Wonder if you can do some research?
Old 01-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a preproduction car has any parts in it that that do not have a release status or "P" or high enough status for a saleable vehicle the parts must be changed out before the vehicle can be sold to the public. So, I'm sure all the parts in the car are saleable 2008 parts but very early production parts. I would guess if you looked at the underside of your console trim plate you would see a "GP-12" sticker meaning the part is pre production and released by the supplier quality manager before shipment to GM (for what it's worth).

I wouldn't have a concern about the vehicle and it is under warranty. Just be sure the mileage isn't abusive mileage. Check the tires for abusive wear and check the fluids. Also have someone query the VIS for any work that was done on the car in warranty.

Build documentation is retained at the plants for 6 months and then may be disposed of as the plant sees fit.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:01 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
The question was asked if the OP should be concerned about a WD1 vehicle and my answer is no, he need not be concerned. This car will come with the same warranty as any other 2008 car. It was not a flogged ZHZ rental, it will have likely have been driven by an engineer, taken home, taken away for the weekend and evaluated. When done it will be R&R'd and brought up to standards and allowed for sale or retained for long term testing and evaluation.
More than likely true. I just don't trust Pilot cars. I've seen some crap go down with them. But then again I won't buy a used car from the original owner.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:41 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

This is a very interesting thread.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:46 PM
BetterMostC6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't buy it. It could have been a test track car, It could have been an "Auto Show" car that millions of people were in and out of who knows. I would stay away.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:58 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by TheTrot
More than likely true. I just don't trust Pilot cars. I've seen some crap go down with them. But then again I won't buy a used car from the original owner.
Understood.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:29 AM
redzr1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Dan,

Really slim. While It could have a part(s) that are dimensionally different from the final buildout. Typically by this build the parts should be on production or near production tooling and processes and be fully validated. Anything that could have been one off or rare would have likely happened in an earlier build. Anything that did make it this far would (should) have been removed prior to the car being allowed for sale.

Paul
Talon is right in that component on a pilot saleable build car that is not under saleable PPAP would have to be replaced prior to the vehicle being put out on the market for sale to the general public. GM has a very thorough process for tracking parts on pilot units of this nature. Vehicle development cycles typically require all components be PPAP approved by GM 5-6 months ahead of start of production. Unfortunately there are many times there is a challenging part that cannot obtain saleable PPAP by the required date and non-saleable PPAP parts are used for the builds. Less critical parts like optional wheels or interiors that do not meet saleable PPAP can be put on restriction until they reach saleable PPAP status after start of production.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:35 AM
azvetters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Talon90 "help"

As little insight for you:

RPO WD1: WD1 is the IDENTIFICATION CODE FOR A FACTORY PILOT VEHICLE, for the Next Model Year. Example: If the factory was building 2007's and a "RPO WDO" & "RPO WD1" was going to be built, it would be a 2008 Model and would have a 2008 VIN Plate attached to it. Of course this would be a EARLY MODEL 2008 C6, with a build date in the middle of the 2007 Production time line, and a JOB# for the current 2008 C6 Model Production.[/QUOTE]

Hi!!! friends car with a BD,of 5/8/08Vin 000021
pro WD0 I.D.platform containment?????????????
is that a WD1 Vehicle....HELP
Old 01-11-2009, 11:28 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by azvetters
As little insight for you:

RPO WD1: WD1 is the IDENTIFICATION CODE FOR A FACTORY PILOT VEHICLE, for the Next Model Year. Example: If the factory was building 2007's and a "RPO WDO" & "RPO WD1" was going to be built, it would be a 2008 Model and would have a 2008 VIN Plate attached to it. Of course this would be a EARLY MODEL 2008 C6, with a build date in the middle of the 2007 Production time line, and a JOB# for the current 2008 C6 Model Production.

Hi!!! friends car with a BD,of 5/8/08Vin 000021
pro WD0 I.D.platform containment?????????????
is that a WD1 Vehicle....HELP
It actually is a WD0 vehicle(RPO WD0). These would be a previous pilot run to the WD1. These are testing and evaluation containment vehicles. Like the WD1 these are built in the current model year but are built as next model year vehicles. This car would have been one of the earliest 2008 cars built during the end of the 2007 model year run. These might have first generation model parts on them to start and the parts and evaluation on these cars can lead to changes on the WD1 cars.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:59 AM
bencini231
Melting Slicks

Very interesting and great info posted.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:09 PM
No-Swet
Intermediate

I agree. Great info! Still, it's always tough to figure out what to do with ambiguous situations like this. Next week I'm going to testdrive it, and let the car do the talking.
For those VIN-gurus within the forum, the VIN on this particular car is 1G1YY26W585100007. Any info you can find, positive or negative is appreciated.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

based on the info in this thread from informed sources, while I wouldn't necessarily have reservations, I do wonder: the car is going to tell you from one short test drive whether you should buy it? granted, that's the way most buy a used car, so good luck!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:28 PM
C6-13thPilotCar
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by No-Swet
I agree. Great info! Still, it's always tough to figure out what to do with ambiguous situations like this. Next week I'm going to testdrive it, and let the car do the talking.
For those VIN-gurus within the forum, the VIN on this particular car is 1G1YY26W585100007. Any info you can find, positive or negative is appreciated.
I have a WD1 2005 C6 pilot vehicle. The dealer I bought it from got it at a GM auction. Vin is 100013, The 13th C6 built, April,2004 build date. I have driven, modified and raced this car with NO PROBLEMS. GM updates these cars before they are released for sale to dealers. All computer updates were done on mine plus new rear suspension parts, new clutch, tires, etc. Mine had 15,000 miles on. The one you are looking at is low miles. My dealer threw in a 4 year GM extended warranty on the deal. Car rides and runs great. Have someone look the car over good. Don't be afraid if you make the deal you want.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by No-Swet
It is #7 off the line...of saleable cars (to the general public) for that model year. Generally, such a low VIN would be collectable if it were a first year vehicle of the new model...in the case of C6 that would be, as you well know, a 2005. Since the one you are interested in is mid-cycle of the C6 body style, collectability is doubtful. So, what others are saying about components, etc is far more important in your decision. With my car I knew it may have some collector value at some point. I lucked out on the GM pampering side of it. The only differences I have seen have been with regard to fasteners, seat hardware, and such...nothing earth shattering. When I worked in Engineering we made running changes with respect to fastener selection and torques on a regular basis as production ramped up to full speed....anything on your car that is different from another of the same model year would represent releases prior to such improvements, or changes as the engineers call them.

Quick Reply: Should I be concernced about "WD1 - PILOT VEHICLE"