C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shell brand gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Srebbie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have worked for many commodity trading companies over the years & gasoline is readily tradable on the NY Mercantile exchange. The only difference in the gas at the pump may be the additives, otherwise gas is gas.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:18 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
Mandated by federal law. See the Energy Policy Act of 2005 (P.L. 109-58) which established a renewable fuel standard (RFS). This RFS was expanded by the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (P.L. 110-140) which requires the use of 9.0 billion gallons of renewable fuels in 2008, increasing each year to 36 billion gallons in 2022. That's achieved by diluting our gasoline with alcohol, either as E10 for non-flex fuel vehicles or E85 for flex fuel vehicles. Note that fuel ethanol receives a 51 cent a gallon federal subsidy. Without that, and the mandate to adulterate our fuels, the fuel alcohol industry would collapse. It isn't economically competitive, it is environmentally damaging, draws down the water table, depletes the soil, and it is driving up food prices. Of course we all know it hurts MPG and power too since it contains 30% less energy than pure gasoline. (Because of its high detonation limit, engines burning straight ethanol can be heavily turbocharged, 50-80 inches of boost, and make lots of power, see Indy cars, but they have to burn lots and lots of alcohol to do it. But that doesn't apply to engines designed to be able to burn gasoline.)
You nailed it. Unfortunately under the present administration the situation will get MUCH worse.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:25 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Srebbie
I have worked for many commodity trading companies over the years & gasoline is readily tradable on the NY Mercantile exchange. The only difference in the gas at the pump may be the additives, otherwise gas is gas.
And all Corvettes are made at the same plant on the same line with the same base parts. The only difference between a 1LT coupe and a ZR1 is the "additives".
Old 03-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vetsvett
Now that we are way off topic I hope your GEO lesson (or lack thereof) isn't indicative of your education level (or lack there of). There are seven continents, period. this is not open for debate or opinions. Europe is, conventionally, one of the world's seven continents. Europe is generally divided from Asia to its east by the water divide of the Ural Mountains, the Ural River, the Caspian Sea, and by the Caucasus Mountains to the southeast. thats what seperates europe from asia.

Continents are understood to be large, continuous, discrete masses of land, ideally separated by expanses of water. However, many of the seven most commonly recognized continents are identified by convention rather than adherence to the ideal criterion that each be a discrete landmass, separated by water from others. Likewise, the criterion that each be a continuous landmass is often disregarded by the inclusion of the continental shelf and oceanic islands.

Just want to make sure you get it right.
You want to attack me for a disputed theory that is fine. It is sad you are so arrogant you are unwilling to even read or listen to other theories. People with your ignorance were the type that insisted the earth was flat many years ago. I think if you took the time to actually read and comprehend what you read you may actually learn something new.

Even your very own statement makes you look like a complete and total ignorant person. I suggest you read what you wrote again very carefully. And remember your history and you may come up with a different conclusion. Remember read what you wrote again very carefully.

As you can (maybe not you) clearly see many are taught in today's school that indeed there are only 4 continents. Some are taught there are 7 and others 6. To attack someone on a disputed theory the way you did shows you to believe you are smarter than many of today's leading teachers and professors. It is sad that your arrogance and ignorance blinds you from maybe learning something new or seeing something differently. I often feel sad for people like you in which arrogance and ignorance leads them to an angry and unhappy life. We all know the old man that just does not want to listen or learn anything new. From your profile I cannot see how old you are. My guess is you have not been to school for many years at best. I think you would be shocked what you would learn today if you sat in on a third grade classroom. Many things have changed since you were last in school. Yes, many theories are open to debate and discussion. A closed mind is a foolish mind.

It is so much fun to prove ignorant people wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

There are numerous ways of distinguishing the continents;

Models

Color-coded map showing the various continents. Similar shades exhibit areas that may be consolidated or subdivided.
7 continents
[13][14][15][16][17][18] North America South America Antarctica Africa Europe Asia Australia
6 continents
[19][14] North America South America Antarctica Africa Eurasia Australia
6 continents
[20][21] America Antarctica Africa Europe Asia Australia
5 continents
[19][20][21] America Antarctica Africa Eurasia Australia
4 continents
[19][20][21] America Antarctica Afro-Eurasia Australia

The seven-continent model is usually taught in Western Europe, Northern Europe, Central Europe, Southeastern Europe, China and most English-speaking countries. The six-continent combined-Eurasia model is preferred by the geographic community, Russia, Eastern Europe, and Japan. The six-continent combined-America model is taught in Latin America, Iran and some parts of Europe including Greece, Portugal and Spain. This model may be taught to include only the five inhabited continents (excluding Antarctica)[20][21] — as depicted in the Olympic logo.[22]

The names Oceania or Australasia are sometimes used in place of Australia. For example, the Atlas of Canada names Oceania,[13] as does the model taught in Latin America and Iberia.[23][24]

Last edited by Never Say Never; 03-02-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jschindler
Wow, did you go a long way to make a point.

If you are going to use the excuse that they have to be separated by water, then some have to be combined, but I think you'll find that there will be thousands of continents.

I think I'll stick with my first reply that Chicago and Venezuala are on different continents. Nice try, though
I sure did. And as you can see this is a accurate and debated point. If you would bother to read the article, or you can google and discover many of today's students are taught different theories with regards to continents. Some in today's schools are taught there are 4, 6 and yes 7 continents. Feel free to google this. Most of us are old timers and went to school many years ago. Things have changed drastically. Any of you that have children in schools today will see things they were taught were wrong or theories have changed. My nephew was taught 6 in California and my nephew here in Illinois was taught 7 as far as they can remember (I called both of them last night). They are 10 and 12 years old. We can choose to be ignorant of the changes or learn and grow. A few and I'm not saying you, on this forum are so ignorant and stuck in their old ways they feel they know it all. Just think of all the things that have changed since we went to school. I was taught an ice age was coming in the 70's. So, I feel everyday I can learn something new every single day. A closed mind is a foolish mind.

Last edited by Never Say Never; 03-01-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Back on topic. Shell and BP gasoline here in Chicago are 93 octane. Many off brands are only 91. For the few cents more I choose to use Shell in my Corvette all the time. In my Trailblazer I use Shell 87 octane every other fill for the additives to clean the fuel system. I have never had an issue with fuel in any of my vehicles. Gimmick or not if it works I'm sticking with what has worked for my vehicles.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:23 PM
owebo
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

I use the cheapest 87 octane I can find....no problems...but what is up with the nitrogen in the fuel, to get back on topic.....
Old 03-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
And all Corvettes are made at the same plant on the same line with the same base parts. The only difference between a 1LT coupe and a ZR1 is the "additives".
I guess you might be surprised if I supplied you documents showing my company's gasoline (non top tier) being supplied to Chevron stations on the Eastern seaboard of the U.S. Ofcourse Techron was added to my gas to make it Chevron "proprietary"

So good luck with that

my take: buy a name brand your happy with... There's no need to spend alot more for a major oil company's gas.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:32 PM
turmat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by owebo
I use the cheapest 87 octane I can find....no problems...but what is up with the nitrogen in the fuel, to get back on topic.....

Been buying Costco for my C5 and C6 with no problems. I change suppliers only if Costco is not the cheapest.

Politics do not enter into any of my buying decisions. Period.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:02 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
I guess you might be surprised if I supplied you documents showing my company's gasoline (non top tier) being supplied to Chevron stations on the Eastern seaboard of the U.S. Ofcourse Techron was added to my gas to make it Chevron "proprietary"

So good luck with that

my take: buy a name brand your happy with... There's no need to spend alot more for a major oil company's gas.
Only if you would be surprised if I showed you that the ZR1 and the 1LT start off as the same frame. YES!!! All gasoline starts the same. YES!!!, The only difference is the additives. DUH!!! It is the additives that make one gas better than another, IMHO. If I can get part of a $10 bottle of Techron free by just picking one station over another...
Old 03-02-2009, 08:56 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Never Say Never
I sure did. And as you can see this is a accurate and debated point. If you would bother to read the article, or you can google and discover many of today's students are taught different theories with regards to continents. Some in today's schools are taught there are 4, 6 and yes 7 continents. Feel free to google this. Most of us are old timers and went to school many years ago. Things have changed drastically. Any of you that have children in schools today will see things they were taught were wrong or theories have changed. My nephew was taught 6 in California and my nephew here in Illinois was taught 7 as far as they can remember (I called both of them last night). They are 10 and 12 years old. We can choose to be ignorant of the changes or learn and grow. A few and I'm not saying you, on this forum are so ignorant and stuck in their old ways they feel they know it all. Just think of all the things that have changed since we went to school. I was taught an ice age was coming in the 70's. So, I feel everyday I can learn something new every single day. A closed mind is a foolish mind.
I agree with your premise about being open minded to change. In the case of how many continents there are, there is nothing new that would change how many continents there are. There are only people who have a different way of defining what a continent is.

If everyone is allowed to make up their own definition of a continent, then I'm going to make up my own. And in my definition, Chicago and Venezuala are still not in the same continent
Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Only if you would be surprised if I showed you that the ZR1 and the 1LT start off as the same frame. YES!!! All gasoline starts the same. YES!!!, The only difference is the additives. DUH!!! It is the additives that make one gas better than another, IMHO. If I can get part of a $10 bottle of Techron free by just picking one station over another...
Uhhh, actually......not to nit picks, but the ZR1 is not built on the same frame as the 1LT. It's built on the same aluminum frame as the Z06.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:53 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Uhhh, actually......not to nit picks, but the ZR1 is not built on the same frame as the 1LT. It's built on the same aluminum frame as the Z06.
Where's that nit spray. Of course, you are right.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 AM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Duke's Dad
I've been in the fuel business for 25 years. The Reader's Digest version is there are some differences with fuels but not night and day. .....

Everyone uses additives to market their uniqueness.
It's all in the processing and additives that makes each company's gas different. I for one will only buy Shell (I work for them - and DON'T get a discount) or Chevron (because I like their Techron additive). Did you know that Shell has been in partnership with Ferrari for over 60 years and worked together to create V-Power (of late)? I believe that their premium gas is superior in a high performance engine (as is Chevron w/Techron) because they work to bring track performance fuels to road performance vehicles.

Other fuels have always seemed to give my engines knocks - Shell and Chevron have never given me problems.

Now, Shell gas may create more soot on the backend - but rather soot on the back end than gunk in the front end
Old 03-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

I agree with your premise about being open minded to change. In the case of how many continents there are, there is nothing new that would change how many continents there are. There are only people who have a different way of defining what a continent is.

If everyone is allowed to make up their own definition of a continent, then I'm going to make up my own. And in my definition, Chicago and Venezuela are still not in the same continent
Fair enough and good point.
It is not a matter of everyone being allowed to make up their own definition. It is a matter of beliefs and a different way of looking at a land mass separated by man or water. Some people are taught that Chicago and some on this forums friend in Venezuela are both on the same continent. Mainly because the separation was man made. Some of the kids in school now are being taught that. In the big picture it really makes no difference and whom ever brought it up was nit picking and unaware of the controversy. This is why those who shoot their mouths off or in this case their keyboards should know what they are writing about before hitting the submit reply button.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:46 AM
steve burns
Burning Brakes

All I can say is my wife filled up her acura with shell for the first time. She had previously been buying offbrand gas. The car sputtered, and fuel consumption immediately went from 20mpg to 12mpg. When we took the car into Acura, he asked what brand of fuel we filled up with. He told us to stay away from shell. This was echoed by another dealership as well. The problem cleared up after another fillup of lesser gas!
Old 03-02-2009, 12:49 PM
jrnorman
Racer

Default Geography part of the thread

Personally I find both completely divergent issues fun to read but I am going to add to the fuel on the continents.

I thought (and I could be completely wrong) that the reason we have the seven continents is from the separate tectonic plates they are on. When Pangaea broke up at some time in their migration all 7 of the continents as we in North America define them were free floating and it was only much latter that North and South American touched (I would hardly call it merged) and ditto for Africa, Europe and Asia. Certainly if I was to just look at the globe as it currently existed I would hardly call Europe and Asia separate continents and maybe even Africa.

Get notified of new replies

To Shell brand gas

Old 03-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jrnorman

Personally I find both completely divergent issues fun to read but I am going to add to the fuel on the continents.

I thought (and I could be completely wrong) that the reason we have the seven continents is from the separate tectonic plates they are on. When Pangaea broke up at some time in their migration all 7 of the continents as we in North America define them were free floating and it was only much latter that North and South American touched (I would hardly call it merged) and ditto for Africa, Europe and Asia. Certainly if I was to just look at the globe as it currently existed I would hardly call Europe and Asia separate continents and maybe even Africa.
This came up in an attempt of one of the members to shield themselves from their admiration of Chavez. I along with a few others believe or have been taught the new yet controversial 6 continent theory. I had made the statement that stirred up some members love and admiration for Chavez by stating he was promoting communism on this continent. Rather than debate the communism issue I was attacked for the 7 over 6 continent theory. Each theory could be debated. However, it is not as easy to debate Chavez. One would think Sean Penn was a member with all of this love and admiration for Chavez on this forum.

Many professors and geological experts disagree on this very subject. If some would bother to read up on this subject they would actually learn something. Some of the members that have attacked me most likely have not been in a classroom since the 50's. Many theories and other aspects of education has changed drastically in the last 50-60 years. Another funny issue is Asian schools teach the 6 continent theory. And many members are absolutely infatuated with Asian autos and feel they build the best cars and are truly brilliant people. Yet, they reject the 6 continent theory they teach in Asian schools. In the big picture it really does not matter much though.

As for the original topic. I'm sticking with Shell for the additives and 93 octane rating. For the few cents more I feel it is worth it.

Last edited by Never Say Never; 03-02-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by steve burns
All I can say is my wife filled up her acura with shell for the first time. She had previously been buying offbrand gas. The car sputtered, and fuel consumption immediately went from 20mpg to 12mpg. When we took the car into Acura, he asked what brand of fuel we filled up with. He told us to stay away from shell. This was echoed by another dealership as well. The problem cleared up after another fillup of lesser gas!
This is how myths are born. Shell is one of the largest oil companies in the world. Do you really think that Shell gas caused the car to lose nearly 50% of it's fuel economy and it started sputtering? It obviously went way further than that (probably had a bunch of water in it or she accidentally pumped in Diesel).

You could probably use nothing but Shell again for the rest of your life and never notice any difference at all.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

This is how myths are born. Shell is one of the largest oil companies in the world. Do you really think that Shell gas caused the car to lose nearly 50% of it's fuel economy and it started sputtering? It obviously went way further than that (probably had a bunch of water in it or she accidentally pumped in Diesel).

You could probably use nothing but Shell again for the rest of your life and never notice any difference at all.
Rather than the car company or her take the responsibilty blame Shell gas.

Quick Reply: Shell brand gas