C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6/Chevy Security System Ain't Worth &*()--Cars Broken Into

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:09 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Consider having an alarm installed on your cars. I have Clifford and Viper alarms that have the pager key chain remotes. The remote will page you if can't hear the alarm, and the screen on the remote will tell you if your car is locked or not. You don't have to go out to check the locks, just look at your keychain. I keep it with me in my bedroom at night just in case.

Best Buy has these systems, and their installation work on several of our cars has been very good.

But, if your doors were locked, your horn would have sounded last night too.

Last edited by CodyC6; 03-06-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:11 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Also, I'd take their bourbon back tonight, and tell them they left it last night.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:30 PM
BLACK 08
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dvilin
Hard to understand how they got into both cars without triggering any alarm or causing any damage. I certainly would invest in a good car cover and put the Vette in the garage, the cover should protect it from your destructive cat. As for your ongoing situation with your neighbors not sure what you can do there, but good luck.
You would be suprised.. I have seen cars up on blocks with everything stripped out and the alarm is still set.. If they want in or want the car they will get it.. Trust me..
Old 03-06-2009, 06:06 PM
CandyVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I'm back at home now and rechecked my car. I checked my settings to make sure the autolock was on, and all my settings are exactly as I set them previously, before I installed the new battery. So the passive autolock was on, and every time I walked away from the car, the autolock would come on as always. That means that my doors were locked last night like they always are. So how did they get in my car? No horns or alarms whatsoever went off last night, because even if I didn't hear them, my husband and dog would have. The neighbors didn't hear anything either (not the bad neighbors, the good ones).

On my passenger side door, there are places where fingers were rubbed in a semicircular pattern like it was operating some kind of tool (no damage done though). Is there any tool or passkey that thieves can get online or at a dealership or some kind of electronic device that they used? WTF? This is very distressing and puzzling to me.

My husband came up with another motive. There have been a string of home robberies in other neighborhoods where the thieves broke into the cars, stole the garage door openers, then made their way into the homes that way. We don't use our garage door openers because the cat is in there; therefore, there weren't any in our cars. Nothing was taken from either car, and it looked as if they were looking for something. That could have been what they were looking for.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:07 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is that the kids told some pro thief friends to do it.

No way would I leave my Vette outside at night even in my very low density and low theft area.

Try not to ramp up the hostility level, they would like to see that.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:12 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarP3C

But they may know someone that does.

More than likely the cars weren't locked. Glad there was no damage also.
There is no certainty in most things these days, shipmate. That said, I am pretty confident that the ability to get into our cars without doing damage is limited to a very few high end thieves - if that. Else, we would see many more of our rides disappearing into the night - as well as lots of Lexus, Mercedes Ferrari's and so on.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Road Rage
Pro

Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 PM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimTN
No, I don't think so. Most times, other owners reported only the window indexing needed to be reset.

But I'd check it just to be sure.
Should only be your windows that are affected from the battery reset.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:29 PM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Road Rage

I love it, coming from "Road Rage".. hahahaha
Old 03-06-2009, 06:38 PM
CandyVette
Drifting

Upon further inspecting my car, I found that when I utilize the passive locking feature as I have been, I can roll my window down, walk away, my car arms itself, and I can put my keys down, go over minus keys, stick my arm in the window and unlock the car with the power lock and open the door with no problem. Well, that is a BIG problem! But, when I use manual locking and do the same thing, it will not unlock and when I pull the manual unlock near the driver's door, the alarm goes off. Is there some sort of problem or glitch with the passive locking feature? I believe that is how they got in and why the alarm didn't go off--they probably just used a slim jim to unlock the passenger side door and opened it with no problem and no alarm going off.

Edited to update: husband talked to baby mama's parents and told them to be watchful of anyone strange in the neighborhood. He found out baby daddy works in a bar and got home around 3:30 a.m. last night.......HMMMMMM. He told her parents that whoever it was had terrible taste in liquor HA HA! So all indications point to baby daddy as the culprit, but husband played it off as if he didn't think it was him.

Last edited by CandyVette; 03-06-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:46 PM
mgtr
Pro

Garages exist for keeping cars safe. Cats exist to entertain their owners. Seems clear to me.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:53 PM
yojack1
Racer

Sounds like this might escalate into something that both sides might regret. Careful, it's hard winning in situations like this. You might be smart not to push them to far. Next time they may really go off.

Good luck
Old 03-06-2009, 06:56 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

I'm sorry for your problems. With that said, the probability of anyone (especially an average citizen) getting in to a locked Corvette, let alone without doing any damage nor setting off the alarm is so slim that I will say that it is not probable. The Corvette uses a rolling code system so they didn't likely capture your FOB code transmission as whatever code they captured would not have worked the next time. Even if the car was locked and they attempted to use the mechanical door release on the floor (highly unlikely as most owners can't even figure it out) it would have triggered the alarm. Heck, most other than owners can't even figure out the door pads to open the door from the outside.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:13 PM
J18369
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09, '14

This passive lock stuff sounds like more trouble than it's worth. When my car comes in, I think I'm always going to double check and make sure the car is locked (I'll be keeping my pistol in there) by using the FOB. I don't want to make the mistake of thinking my car is actually locked when it isn't..
Old 03-06-2009, 07:17 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CandyVette
Upon further inspecting my car, I found that when I utilize the passive locking feature as I have been, I can roll my window down, walk away, my car arms itself, and I can put my keys down, go over minus keys, stick my arm in the window and unlock the car with the power lock and open the door with no problem. Well, that is a BIG problem! But, when I use manual locking and do the same thing, it will not unlock and when I pull the manual unlock near the driver's door, the alarm goes off. Is there some sort of problem or glitch with the passive locking feature? I believe that is how they got in and why the alarm didn't go off--they probably just used a slim jim to unlock the passenger side door and opened it with no problem and no alarm going off.

Edited to update: husband talked to baby mama's parents and told them to be watchful of anyone strange in the neighborhood. He found out baby daddy works in a bar and got home around 3:30 a.m. last night.......HMMMMMM. He told her parents that whoever it was had terrible taste in liquor HA HA! So all indications point to baby daddy as the culprit, but husband played it off as if he didn't think it was him.
Without the FOB in the car and windows up you would be locked inside the car. The inside electric opener should not work. With window down I am not sure though. Does your alarm work at all? I have my autolock set up to beep the horn when it locks.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:33 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

The car doesn't lock for approximately 8 seconds after the fob is detected leaving the car.
The C6 cannot be opened with a 'slim jim'.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:53 PM
CandyVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by johnodrake
The car doesn't lock for approximately 8 seconds after the fob is detected leaving the car.
The C6 cannot be opened with a 'slim jim'.
I stayed away from the car for about a minute before I tried unlocking the automatic door lock with the window down. I did not have the fob with me when I did this. Doing this with the car being armed passively, I was able to unlock the door and open it without the alarm going off. But when I lock the car manually with the fob, wait about a minute and walk over without the fob and try to manually unlock the door reaching inside to unlock the power lock, it won't let me do it. I think there is some problem with passively locking the car. That is why I won't passively lock it any more.

Get notified of new replies

To C6/Chevy Security System Ain't Worth &*()--Cars Broken Into

Old 03-06-2009, 08:13 PM
moolys
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
Ditch the cat and save the Vette! Sorry to seem mean. I'd sure hate to have my Vette used as a message board by pissed-off neighbors. Can the cat be caged at night? I have a cat and I'd hate to get rid of him for my Vette, but I wouldn't leave my Vette parked outside when I was concerned about my neighbors either being immature or mentally unstable and acting upon their anger by vandalising my Vette.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Quasar21
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, we have a garage but haven't been using it because we have a destructive cat that we keep there. But I guess the cat is going to have to make room............

If the cat is living in your garage and not sitting in your lap at night, I'm not sure either you or the cat are that happy with your living arrangments. If you're not enjoying your cat, you might consider either declawing it or giving it to someone who will enjoy its company.

I agree with a previous poster. Escalating this will only lead to something bad. These slimeballs will be gone at some point, so don't end up in jail because they're jerks. We, too, have HOA rules about on street parking. It drives me nuts when everyone doesn't follow the rules. We have a family with a bunch of teens who use to constantly park their cars in the street because they're too damn sorry to move their cars to let each other in and out. One morning before daylight, I topped a hill near their house and another neighbor was upside down in his Nissan in the street. He had not cleared all of the frost from his windsheld and hit a car one of the teens left in the street. The State Trooper woke sorry family up and pointed out to teen that he was parked facing traffic on the street, which was illegal. He sited stupid teen and we haven't had anymore trouble with them parking on the street since. It's too bad it took something like this. Good luck and keep your patience.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:19 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

You let a CAT displace your Corvette from your garage?

Don't think you're going to find much sympathy on this forum. Maybe a cat forum.

Quick Reply: C6/Chevy Security System Ain't Worth &*()--Cars Broken Into