C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This smells like a scam

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:49 AM
BetterMostC6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its totally a scam.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 AM
trailboss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably a scam, but possibly not. Last year when I was searching the country for my '06 Z51 white with a tan top I contacted a couple of well known Vete used dealers who had just sold the car I was interested in to a foreign concern for shipment overseas. They made it clear that because of the exchange rate, etc. a lot of foreigners were finally buying their dream Corvette.

On the other hand either require cash or USPS (US Postal Service) money orders. They cost $1.50 each and can only be purchased in increments of $1,000 max, but who's going to mess with the US government. Just a thought about how to possibly overcome fraudulent money orders.

I always meet the buyer at his bank and make sure I'm standing with him to get the money out of his account. Then I may turn right around and buy my own money order or cashiers check if I need to transport the money home.

You can't be too careful.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:08 AM
mcc978
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,’18,’19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Definitely sounds like a scam. I say just delete the email and wait to sell the car to someone else. You could ask them for a phone number so you can speak to them but don't give them any of your information. I say this will just be a waste of time because they will probably know that you caught on and won't email you back again.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:11 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,076 Likes on 533 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Tell him to come o broookln ny, with cash , we will take care of the rest...
Old 03-20-2009, 03:28 AM
BetterMostC6
Drifting

You can also tell him to send you his check but your policy is not to release the car to the shipper for 30 days or until you have confirmation the funds have cleared. I have heard stories that these phony checks and money orders sometimes take more than 30 days before they come back to the bank as fake.

Last edited by BetterMostC6; 03-20-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:08 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One of the scams goes like this:

They end up offering you what you are asking for the car.

They act like they are a broker and buying it for a client.

They will send you a cashier’s check for the total amount plus extra for you to pay the auto carrier when he picks up the car.

They also include in the cashier’s check an additional $5000 (or some other amount) asking for you to return that monies after you deposit the cashier’s check.

They say that the $5000 is additional money that is already drawn on the bank and included in the cashier’s check amount, because if they purchased a more expensive car they would have enough allowed to purchase.

How one version of this scam works.

1. The check looks, smells, and is very impressive as a Bank Check and drawn on a real bank.

2. You take it to your bank and they will deposit it into your account.

3. Because of the way the law is written, your bank gives you access to you money.

4. You then send the buyer the over amount which in this case is $5000.

5. It takes several days for that bank cashier’s check you deposited to clear.

6. By the time that check clears the scammer is gone with the $5000 you sent him.

7. The bank will then come back to you to replace the $5000 or they will just remove it from your present account.

This is a good scam if you are trusting and get blinded by the good deal you are getting.

Several years ago I also received this deal while selling my 92’ Vert. They even sent me the cashier’s check. My wife got on the internet and found the bank that it was drawn on. She called the bank and was informed that it was one of their checks but a bad check. We turned it over to the local Sherriff and they as of this date have never been able to track the owner of the P.O. Box where the scammed money from me would have been returned.

BTW .. They really don't want your car, just your money!

Ben, OH

Last edited by bksnoopy; 03-20-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Why assume anything if he gives you a bank draft you have the money. Ship him the car
Old 03-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Whenever I get these I type in the Name, Address and Phone #.

For the Local Sheriff and the Police Dept. Address and phone.

Sometimes the regional FBI office.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by rrankins
Well, for now, I've replied asking him for more information (not giving any of my info yet) and told him that only wire transfers or money deposited to escrow would be acceptable. Also, that I would not accept funds to pay for transport - he would have to pay for and arrange transport directly. HEre's my reply:

We'll see if I hear anything back.

-Ray
WRONG BIG TIME

Every time time you email or acknowledge their email or continue any contact at all you are putting yourself further at risk if identity theft or some other scam.

Do you really want them to have your address?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:12 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,945 Likes on 4,820 Posts

Scam.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:53 AM
rrankins
Pro

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
WRONG BIG TIME

Every time time you email or acknowledge their email or continue any contact at all you are putting yourself further at risk if identity theft or some other scam.

Do you really want them to have your address?
No - that's why I haven't given them my address or any other info yet. The only info they have is what was in the ad itself.
While I suspect it's a scam, I'm not going to assume it is until they confirm my suspicion.
In the meantime, I'm hopefully gathering useful information on how these scammers operate that can be shared with the community.

-Ray
Old 03-20-2009, 10:08 AM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RRVettes
You may want to give them a phone number to call you so you can ask very specific questions over the phone.

Originally Posted by Red Rochester
Why assume anything if he gives you a bank draft you have the money. Ship him the car
OMG, I hope you were joking! It's a scam. No doubt about it.

You should never get involved with 3rd parties. A legitimate buyer would arrange his own shipping, not give you extra to pay the shipper. The bogus check will eventually bounce (maybe weeks later) and you'll be out the $$$ and the car.

BTW, I still have a $30,000 TDBankNorth cashier's check from 4 years ago that I never deposited. The check came from Europe with no return address and I never even heard from the guy questioning whether I had received it. What a f'n joke.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Prankster
Racer

Total scam..it happens all the time if you post an add on autotrader or similar site.

When it happened to me I just emailed back requesting a phone number to discuss further..never heard anything back.

It actually happened twice when I was trying to sell my GMC Envoy..in this day and age it should be expected you will be a scam target at least once selling a car on the internet..

I can't believe there isn't a solution to counterfit certified checks yet.

pkstr
Old 03-20-2009, 11:05 AM
El Paso Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

The English is stilted and not at all what you would expect from a Vette buyer. Pass on the sale to this guy.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:06 AM
mongooseC6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Received a similar email to an item I had for sale (not even a car). It was fishy so I told them the item was "sold."

I got a reply "thank you for your correspondence, my client is now ready to buy [your item]. My client is in another state. blah blah blah. I put their address on my email refusal list. Solved the problem with them at least.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:12 AM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a taste of that nigerian scam stuff as well via craigslist.

Was selling 100 dollars worth of stuff, speakers, just crap really. I get a broken english relpy on some guy that wants to buy it, fine.

The fact that their emails always got sent at like 4am was weird - and things always felt "odd" when conversing via email with them.

Anyway - i finally get the "payment" and it was an $8,000 dollar "cheque".

If they do ever actually call you - what they do is use the "telephone service for the hearing impaired". Meaning they call up some deaf line and thru a person talk to you. Some poor girl has to listen to me speak, and type on a computer screen to them. That way they can do it all over the net and 100% anonymous.

My advice is that the INSTANT you feel uncomfortable in any business deal, you either ask lots of questions or find someone else to deal with. There will *always* be someone else to do business with.

GL with the sale.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:18 AM
JAY.WHY
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by gsport
Scam.....

Stay Away

Get notified of new replies

To This smells like a scam

Old 03-20-2009, 11:25 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,403 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
WRONG BIG TIME

Really? How's that work? What's contained in the email that compromises the sender's identity?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Jaylyons1
Advanced

double post...

Last edited by Jaylyons1; 03-20-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Jaylyons1
Advanced

Scam... you will see alot of these... why do they even try... The first tip off is the missing words in their sentences. They always request you take it off the market, or try not to sell it anymore and then talk about their client who wants the car, but needs a shipper to pick it up.

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Really? How's that work? What's contained in the email that compromises the sender's identity?
Most of the time, you have nothing to worry about. But however they can use the email and get information through your computer. Its not hard to track IP's either. Even easier if you are still using dialup. But thats if they actually have the experience.

Quick Reply: This smells like a scam