C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This smells like a scam

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

Maybe the client might have screwed up english, but the other guy in charge of a business. This is a scam! I would not deal with them any more.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:25 PM
HotRodNeil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, had the same scam attempted on me when I was selling my Z28, wanted to bring the payment from 100 miles away and pickup the car on the spot. BS all the way. I did sell to someone who transferred the money by wire into my account, and lives 15 miles away.

This is a no brainer. If they give you GREEN cash, or wire the funds, it is real. A check, MO, certified check, all can bounce. Only a bank check deposited in the same bank name will clear instantly. The scammer will never let it get this far.

You smelled this a mile away. Sad world we live in.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:33 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,962 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by RicK T
I wouldn't have any more contact, for all the reasons you pointed out.
I don't have to read any more. I agree; give it up. There will be others. Wait for them. I'd be willing to bet the time you spend on this from now on will be a waste.

Don't bother.

Next will come either a request for your bank account number, your credit card number, your social security number or "I've got this IBM check for $5000 more than your price. Just send me the difference and I'll come pick up the car in three weeks."

Are you getting the picture?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Old 03-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If it smells like a scam it probably is. Asking "how was your day." Get serious. Tell him it was sold and ignore any further contact. I'd tell any prospective buyer the transaction goes through a qualified escrow of your choice with the parties to split escrow costs equally.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I would not be able to hit the DELETE button fast enough!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:55 PM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it looks like and it smells like then it's
Old 03-19-2009, 09:56 PM
JERGENSEN LS3
Melting Slicks

Location: New Jersey - National Corvette Museum Member '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

SCAM SCAM
Old 03-19-2009, 09:57 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Super scam!!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

Of course it is a scam but have some fun with it at their expense. Have them overnight the check to you then tell them it has to clear first.
When they contact you again tell them your bank said the check must clear for 30 business days. Post the check on your garage wall and throw darts at it because you will never hear from them again.
As long as we can make these evil people pay some money out of there pocket (overnight fee's) I feel good about myself!
Old 03-19-2009, 10:01 PM
jrizzuto
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
Of course it is a scam but have some fun with it at their expense. Have them overnight the check to you then tell them it has to clear first.
When they contact you again tell them your bank said the check must clear for 30 business days. Post the check on your garage wall and throw darts at it because you will never hear from them again.
As long as we can make these evil people pay some money out of there pocket (overnight fee's) I feel good about myself!
absolutely. Screw 'em at their own game.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:15 PM
c5streak
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I concur with everyone else. I recently listed an item on craigslist. I got 5 identical emails from different senders who all used the exact same language, form letter, and bad grammar as you got. I politely replied,cash in my hand when YOU pick it up. Have'nt heard from them since. Whooda guessed?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:17 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Scam...
Ask him for his number so you can talk with him.. see what happens...
Old 03-19-2009, 10:28 PM
CroOrange
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
Think about it twice. If you have a counterfeit check and you know it is counterfeit, and try to cash it, you will be going to jail.

Play with fire, get fingers burnt.

It's scam, ignore them.

a++ Cedric
Old 03-19-2009, 10:32 PM
rrankins
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, for now, I've replied asking him for more information (not giving any of my info yet) and told him that only wire transfers or money deposited to escrow would be acceptable. Also, that I would not accept funds to pay for transport - he would have to pay for and arrange transport directly. HEre's my reply:

Hi Stephen (or is it James?)

Before I can consider the car sold to you, I’ll need some more information.
It appears you are not purchasing the car for yourself? You mention you have a client that will be purchasing the car?
Who is the client and where are they located?
If the car requires transport, I would ask you not to send me the shipping fees. All shipping would have to be arranged for and paid for directly by the buyer. I would arrange to meet the transport company when they come to pick up the car, but that is all.
Also, how would you (or your client?) be making payment? If not by certified or cashier’s check from a local bank which I can verify, I would have to insist on a direct wire transfer or use of an escrow company. There have been a number of warnings lately about counterfeit cashier’s checks.
We'll see if I hear anything back.

-Ray
Old 03-19-2009, 10:33 PM
camiv
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tmjvett2004
I have been trying to sell my Rolex and I get the same thing all bull
What model is your Rolex?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,962 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

With all due respect, Ray, what is the most valuable thing you own or have? It's not the car. It's your time. And that, you never get back.

Get notified of new replies

To This smells like a scam

Old 03-19-2009, 11:38 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gunnerrun
I'm not sure about what security concerns might be attendant to the information the "buyer" requested but would not have a problem receiving funds sent via a cashier's check if it was clearly understood that no transfers of either title or car would take place until the check was properly cleared.

I knew a person that one time did indeed take a cashier's check on a non existent bank.
This can be a huge problem also. Even if the Ck "clears" and you get the money it can still blow up downstream. This happend to my son when he sold his boat.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 PM
rrankins
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 C6 vert
This can be a huge problem also. Even if the Ck "clears" and you get the money it can still blow up downstream. This happend to my son when he sold his boat.
That's what I've read about these scams. The bank will honor the cashier's check and make the funds available so the scamee then withdraws the money to send back or to the "transport company". Weeks later, the check is discovered to be counterfeit and the scammee has to cover the money withdrawn.

You'd think the banks would have developed some way to verify and confirm cashier's checks by now, but again, this is the US banking industry we're talking about.

-Ray
Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 AM
spin-doktor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% scam..... Next thing he'll do is tell you hes sending a check for so and so over your asking price, send the difference back, etc....

Quick Reply: This smells like a scam