C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chesnut C5 Coupe prototype-What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 PM
john chsnut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chesnut C5 Coupe prototype-What do you think?

Here is a picture of the final version of my 1950's inspired Sports car body. last night I mocked up a coupe roof out of cardboard. I think that It's pretty cool. Kind of old Jag looking. The coupe roof would be removable so the car can be run as a roadster too.The side pipes tuck up under the side of the body.
This car is on my proven chassis. It uses all C5/6 parts. It weighs 2000lbs wet. I think that the old school look with the modern suspension and drivetrain is a winner. What do you think? I apologize fot the trash. I have been waiting for the snow to melt to make a dump run.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:00 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

The proportions look out of whack to me. The hood is so low that it makes the part from the front of the windshield and rear of the doors to the back of the car look too big. It sort of looks like two cars stuck together. I think maybe the top and windshield need to be lower if you can still maintain enough headroom.

Last edited by C-INRED; 03-20-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks out of proportion. I like the rear, but not the front. The hood looks too long. Just my .02 cents.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like a fun project and a blast to drive!
Old 03-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Since you asked for feedback --

I can understand the desire to keep it as low as possible, but it looks too much like a box-end wrench.

I do like the back end, as it is reminiscent of the original Shelby coupe, but the mid section has that towering windshield that looks disproportionately tall for the super-low doors and cowl.

I might suggest raising the cowl and top door edges a few inches, and stretching the fade-away of the top of the front fender line back to the a-pillar to minimize the rather featureless 'hot-dog' look of the bodyline between front and rear wheel openings.

On the plus side, the chassis looks pretty strong, and the lines of the rolling chassis alone look pretty cool... like a Formula car; have you thought about maybe going that route, styling-wise?

Question: if the need ever arises to pull the cam, can it be done without pulling the motor? Almost looks like the top of the radiator support might be in the way.

Cheers,
Kent

Last edited by Kent1999; 03-21-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc V.
Looks out of proportion. I like the rear, but not the front. The hood looks too long. Just my .02 cents.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Sorta reminds me of the Cheetah racer from the '60s. Ease the windshield back and work on the roofline. Then go like hell!

Get notified of new replies

To Chesnut C5 Coupe prototype-What do you think?

Quick Reply: Chesnut C5 Coupe prototype-What do you think?