C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 04:55 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mono
So-ooo... I should NOT install my new VaraRam Gen 2? I ordered the complete kit with shroud and spacer. Was to be installed on a '06 LS2 tomorrow.
You couldn't pay me enough to install one in my car.

EDIT

You ordered a throttle body spacer? Sorry bud, but that's another piece of useless junk. Sorry!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:03 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

in before someone from vararam trys to justify that crap....
Old 05-01-2009, 05:36 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Finster07
I would love to see some pictures of what you did.

Personally, I reinforced my gaskets with RTV and I inspect them every 1500 miles and change the filter. I have 2 filters so I can swap out the dirty with the clean in 20 minutes. 18000 mile later it still seals well. Rain and deep water however are still a concern.
If I had a component on my Vette that required a checklist be taped to my steering wheel to remind me to check my intake system every 1500 miles, then I'd ditch the piece of crap that made me put a checklist together.

The C6 Vette is meant to drive, not be treated like a 1943 carb engine with a manual choke! Gone are the days of checking everything all the time... It's the 21st Century folks!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:37 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRHAWK9
it's all about the installation. If you just throw it on without using an ounce of common sense, you will have issues down the road. IMO, these are not something that anyone should buy expecting you can just throw it on and expect it to work like any other CAI sold. The VR does require maintenance far more regularly than oil changes! I also believe that if they were all modified with how I modified mine there would be none of the issues we are seeing. I believe the two halves are pivoting at the connection point in some of the installs which is causing some of the issues.
deja vu...fixed just for you!

You are just a barrel of laughs. Do you really think your average VR buyer who spends $300-$500 on one is not going to throw it on via the oem instructions? Do you really think your average VR buyer is going to check the filter every 1000-3000 miles for the foam falling apart and the crapola it collects? Thanks for the laughs.

Originally Posted by USAF-Vette
You couldn't pay me enough to install one in my car.
I agree.

Last edited by siffert; 05-01-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:47 PM
BLACK 08
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is EXACTLY why I removed mine a while ago. I think the overall design idea is great but the sealing foam gaskets SUCK and always shift around. I was checking mine about every week and never trusted it after I found the upper gasket had shifted. They need to put a lip or ledge in the upper part so the filter will seat into it. Then they can do away with those POS foam gaskets. If VR would fix this problem once and for all I would think about getting another. Until then I agree with the others that said they wouldn't put it on their Vette.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:04 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

2+ years and the same old story. This is not new information folks. This is old news. I can't believe these problems still exist with this product. It was threads like this (many, many of them) that pushed me right to a Callaway Honker CAI. The way that is designed there is no way anything is getting past the filter.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:05 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by mono
So-ooo... I should NOT install my new VaraRam Gen 2? I ordered the complete kit with shroud and spacer. Was to be installed on a '06 LS2 tomorrow.
There are some satisfied customers, but then, there are some quite dissatisfied customers, too. You decide. It's your car.

This reminds me a lot of the leaking tires I had, the XZX, all 10 of them, from that French company. hmmm, I wonder why I've never bought another tire from them?
Old 05-01-2009, 07:12 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
The seal that really counts is the one between the filter and the upper section. If you had debris in the MAF screen that would indicate it was not sealing. I am not impressed with the seal system in my Vararam either. Looks like I need to look at it again to make sure it did not move out of place.
it must have been getting by the fitment of the air filter and the upper tube
Old 05-01-2009, 07:19 PM
BLACK 08
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
The seal that really counts is the one between the filter and the upper section. If you had debris in the MAF screen that would indicate it was not sealing. I am not impressed with the seal system in my Vararam either. Looks like I need to look at it again to make sure it did not move out of place.
Yep check it often.. You're right it's the upper one that matters and that's the one that moved on mine.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:20 PM
mikez51c6
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

hmmmm dont think ill be getting the vr
Old 05-01-2009, 07:54 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by AORoads
There are some satisfied customers, but then, there are some quite dissatisfied customers, too. You decide. It's your car.
Those that are satisfied with the VR are so because of the power the system makes. I do believe that when it comes to power, there is no other system like the VR system. However, what good is the extra power if you are grinding you engine away.
Most people never really give filtering efficiency a second thought. That is a BIG mistake!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:10 PM
black08ls3
Heel & Toe

Perhaps staying with the OEM intake is the way to go!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:13 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by USAF-Vette
Those that are satisfied with the VR are so because of the power the system makes. I do believe that when it comes to power, there is no other system like the VR system. However, what good is the extra power if you are grinding you engine away.
Most people never really give filtering efficiency a second thought. That is a BIG mistake!
at the part in red.

You have to understand the mindset.

Name the mods you see described in here which have longevity as a priority. It won't take long.

A lot of the people who do many of the mods described on this board, aren't looking to get 100,000 miles out of the engine and other components.

Some of the stuff you see described in here, you know damn well, the person doing it is not going to get even 30,000 miles out of the engine.

There have been automatic trannys to crap out in here, inside of 8,000 miles following mods.

Drivvability, reliability, longevity, go out the window in pursuit of some of the results you see.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:36 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe the GM engineers got it right?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Originally Posted by calemasters
I think its more if an issue here that some of the aftermarket intakes get it partially or totally wrong.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:58 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
at the part in red.

You have to understand the mindset.

Name the mods you see described in here which have longevity as a priority. It won't take long.

A lot of the people who do many of the mods described on this board, aren't looking to get 100,000 miles out of the engine and other components.

Some of the stuff you see described in here, you know damn well, the person doing it is not going to get even 30,000 miles out of the engine.

There have been automatic trannys to crap out in here, inside of 8,000 miles following mods.

Drivvability, reliability, longevity, go out the window in pursuit of some of the results you see.
You made a valid point, but there are a few mods here and there that don't really affect reliability much. A well designed intake (such as Haltech, Airaid, etc), a catback, a FAST intake manifold, gears; all will have minor effects in reliability if properly installed. Headers shouldn't have a major effect either if tuned for properly.
Unfiltered air is a very quick way of killing an engine. I did this to my old 88 Trans Am GTA when the filter and hose disconnected in my ghetto cold air system. It started to burn oil and compression began to fall accross all cylinders. Never did oil analysis on.....I'm glad.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:02 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by calemasters
Even OEM get it wrong sometimes. I think the full size Ford vans; 2005 or so year model (maybe it was a Chevy van) had some crappy engineered filter housing. They were lose half the time and fit was horrible.
As a vehicle guy for the Air Force, I get to see quite a few different filter housing designs.... we have a zillion different vehicles.

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam Issues

Old 05-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That is why I got rid of my Vararam and went back to Halltech. The Vararam is a bottom feeder and inhales things low in it's path. I even had a small US flag lodged in the tube once. It was found by my technician. Incredible. Imagine all the crud your engine is eating if the filter doesn't fit right.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:04 PM
resipsa
Racer

I've had a VR on my C5Z06 for almost 4 years and like it more than I dislike it. It came with the second generation foam filter which stayed well sealed around its periphery, but the foam filter worried me. Before I installed the VR, I changed the oil and sent a sample out for analysis. The analysis indicated an abnormally high amount of silicon in the oil. When I removed the paper filter from the OEM box during installation of the VR, I noticed grit on the bottom edge of the filter leading to the engine side thereof, as if the filter was not sealing well against the OEM filter housing. So much for OEM quality.

After about 3000 miles with the VR and the foam filter, I changed my oil again and sent another oil sample for analysis. The silicon level was normal this time.

About two years ago I upgraded the VR with the green filter retrofit offered by VR. I had to modify the ramtube section of the VR to accomodate the green filter and apply foam gasketing on both sections of the VR. I was very **** about cleaning the plastic surfaces to remove any mold release and purchased additional foam gasketing to place on the side flange portions of the engine-side section of the VR to make sure that there would be no leaking. I checked the Vararam about 3 or 4 times since then (over 2 years) and have experienced only minor gasket movement. My most recent oil analysis after 6700 miles (I got lazy) indicated normal levels of silicon.

The VR could definitely be made better, but with careful installation, some extra gasketing, and some minor maintenance (with the green filter), be reliable. IMO, it definitely outperforms other intakes in summer weather because it picks up air in the front of the bumper, not behind it in the engine compartment.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:13 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Originally Posted by resipsa
I've had a VR on my C5Z06 for almost 4 years and like it more than I dislike it. It came with the second generation foam filter which stayed well sealed around its periphery, but the foam filter worried me. Before I installed the VR, I changed the oil and sent a sample out for analysis. The analysis indicated an abnormally high amount of silicon in the oil. When I removed the paper filter from the OEM box during installation of the VR, I noticed grit on the bottom edge of the filter leading to the engine side thereof, as if the filter was not sealing well against the OEM filter housing. So much for OEM quality.

The VR could definitely be made better, but with careful installation, some extra gasketing, and some minor maintenance (with the green filter), be reliable. IMO, it definitely outperforms other intakes in summer weather because it picks up air in the front of the bumper, not behind it in the engine compartment.
Thanks for your story. I just dont think your average VR buyer is as
**** as you are when it comes to installation, gaskets etc.

Quick Reply: Vararam Issues