C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:41 AM
DarthStimpy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vararam Issues

I took my Vararam off to check and clean the filter...
It's a 1 year old install.
this is what I found, the MAF screen was filled with small sticks and leaves:

I called Vararam and they are sending me a new Gasket set, but I still find this completely unacceptable.

Last edited by DarthStimpy; 05-01-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Didn't I just read that there's some kind of a new and improved big fix just within the last few days?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:51 AM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

Mine looked the same way!, but when I pulled out the filter, I noticed it was doing the job right!, no dirt or grime got through to the other side. You just have to make sure you clean it well, and fix the gasket when you put the filter back in.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:27 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Geezzzzzzzzz that's ugly!! Perhaps this is an unfair observation but it just appears to me cheaply made considering the cost. I'm aware that it works well but it's just not built to my standards.... Seems like ait could be made better for the money involved.....
Old 05-01-2009, 11:34 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

When I had a vararam the same thing happened. The adhesive on the gasket does not hold up. I used a superglue to secure the gasket and that solved the problem.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

The seal that really counts is the one between the filter and the upper section. If you had debris in the MAF screen that would indicate it was not sealing. I am not impressed with the seal system in my Vararam either. Looks like I need to look at it again to make sure it did not move out of place.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:57 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Could be worse. Without that seal you probably wouldn't hydrolock the engine, as some have done with this intake.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:09 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I've had them like that too.Re glue it or in your case install the newe one.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:28 PM
spinedoc77
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
Could be worse. Without that seal you probably wouldn't hydrolock the engine, as some have done with this intake.
+1 Been there, done that with the Vararam and my old C5.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I installed my updated version I did my own modifications to it before I installed it to ASSURE the top and bottom pieces sealed tight and the filter housing wouldn't allow any unfiltered air through. I just wasn't comfortable with how it was attached with just two rubber latches....yeah, I'm a bit **** I took 4 - 3" long thin (#8) machine screws/lock nuts and made studs that went through the upper and lower pieces as well as the filter (the Green filter already has notches through half of it, so I just used a small file and continued those notches through the whole width of the filter). I took some thin 1/8" thick aluminum strips (to disperse the load) with lock nuts to hold the filter in place and then attached the lower unit with aluminum strips (to disperse the load, as the lower piece in made out of thinner plastic than the upper). I then snugged up the nuts which compressed the whole filter box assembly, making it essentially one piece. I applied some silicon grease to the rubber filter seals, which actually seals on two sides of the filter instead of just a single side. The thing is not going anywhere now and is sealed tighter than Fort Knox.

Was it necessary, who knows, but I am sleeping better at night because of it.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:05 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

My advice, DUMP IT and do it NOW!

While the VR intakes are awesome at power, their quality seems to be very poor. From my research on this forum, you are the latest victim of either hydrolock or poor filtering/sealing.

Between power and filtration, I choose filtration. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you do a used oil analysis. You can do a search on google for oil analysis or you can go to Blackstone Labs, which is who I use. It'll cost you ~$22 and all the instructions are on their website.
You will be horrfied at the carnage you've likely done to your internals (pistons, bearings, cam, crank, etc.)

I can help you with the analysis. I wouldn't even drive the car. If you need help, just PM.

Rick
Old 05-01-2009, 02:11 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by iridelow
Mine looked the same way!, but when I pulled out the filter, I noticed it was doing the job right!, no dirt or grime got through to the other side. You just have to make sure you clean it well, and fix the gasket when you put the filter back in.
Yes, the filter may be doing it's job fine, but if it isn't sealed all the way around to the housing, then it defeats the purpose of the filter.

Guys, I can not stress how important it is to have clean air only going into the engine. It is the # 3 engine killer after oil and water.

This is almost too much to stomach.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:18 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

Here are a few samples of used oil analysis. Read through it and learn. It is actually, if interpreted correctly, an excellent engine life indicator AND tuning aid.
Excessive fuel in the oil means among other things, extremely rich mixture or mechanical problems.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/gas_engines.html
Old 05-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Jimmy G.
Racer

Note to self:

Do not install one of those on my 'Vette.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Land_Jet
Instructor

The VR has had issues since it was introduced. I didn't put one on my C5 and I sure as hell won't put one on my C6. I recommend anyone that cares about their engine do the same.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:27 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

That's why I removed my CAI. It's not worth it in the long run.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:45 PM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

it's all about the installation. If you just throw it on without using an ounce of common sense, you will have issues down the road. IMO, these are not something that you can just throw on and expect to just forget about. They do require maintenance. I also believe that if they were all modified with how I modified mine there would be none of the issues we are seeing. I believe the two halves are pivoting at the connection point in some of the installs which is causing some of the issues.

I have also done oil analysis in the past on my Firehawk and know the importance of properly filtered air. If I was at all concerned with how my VR is sealing I wouldn't have installed it. My only concern is how well the Green filters actual filter, as cotton gauze types of filters (K&N, Green, etc) are not known to be the best filter media.

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam Issues

Old 05-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Finster07
Pro

Originally Posted by JRHAWK9
Before I installed my updated version I did my own modifications to it before I installed it to ASSURE the top and bottom pieces sealed tight and the filter housing wouldn't allow any unfiltered air through. I just wasn't comfortable with how it was attached with just two rubber latches....yeah, I'm a bit **** I took 4 - 3" long thin (#8) machine screws/lock nuts and made studs that went through the upper and lower pieces as well as the filter (the Green filter already has notches through half of it, so I just used a small file and continued those notches through the whole width of the filter). I took some thin 1/8" thick aluminum strips (to disperse the load) with lock nuts to hold the filter in place and then attached the lower unit with aluminum strips (to disperse the load, as the lower piece in made out of thinner plastic than the upper). I then snugged up the nuts which compressed the whole filter box assembly, making it essentially one piece. I applied some silicon grease to the rubber filter seals, which actually seals on two sides of the filter instead of just a single side. The thing is not going anywhere now and is sealed tighter than Fort Knox.

Was it necessary, who knows, but I am sleeping better at night because of it.

I would love to see some pictures of what you did.

Personally, I reinforced my gaskets with RTV and I inspect them every 1500 miles and change the filter. I have 2 filters so I can swap out the dirty with the clean in 20 minutes. 18000 mile later it still seals well. Rain and deep water however are still a concern.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:44 PM
mono
Advanced

So-ooo... I should NOT install my new VaraRam Gen 2? I ordered the complete kit with shroud and spacer. Was to be installed on a '06 LS2 tomorrow.

Last edited by mono; 05-01-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:52 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by JRHAWK9
it's all about the installation. If you just throw it on without using an ounce of common sense, you will have issues down the road. IMO, these are not something that you can just throw on and expect to just forget about. They do require maintenance. I also believe that if they were all modified with how I modified mine there would be none of the issues we are seeing. I believe the two halves are pivoting at the connection point in some of the installs which is causing some of the issues.

I have also done oil analysis in the past on my Firehawk and know the importance of properly filtered air. If I was at all concerned with how my VR is sealing I wouldn't have installed it. My only concern is how well the Green filters actual filter, as cotton gauze types of filters (K&N, Green, etc) are not known to be the best filter media.

Have you done a used oil analysis on the Crovette to make sure no dirt is getting past?

These intakes are badly flawed. I just hope our pride doesn't get the better of us. Intakes don't require any maintenance, other than filter replacement. They are pretty much and "set and forget" deal.

BTW, I should have my Airaid system (230-250) home today or tomorrow. Very excited.

Last edited by USAF-Vette; 05-01-2009 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Vararam Issues