C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The $14,000 decision...help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:47 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I think Tim at boardwalk just sold one, Craig.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-d...wont-last.html
Thanks... it was really 39k but that's about as cheap as I've seen even for totally stripped down 09 C6. At that rate we're going to have to start giving our used ones away...
Old 05-24-2009, 07:48 AM
nycdot01
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobGomez
Wife thinks something is wrong with my head, I've had my used '06 since october and I'm wanting to get a Z06 now!

The jump from where I'm at to a Z06 is probably going to cost me at least 14k (I'm thinking selling for ~$32 for what I'm in and 46k to get into a higher mileage Z06)

So then I'm thinking...well 14k could get me a z06 rear end conversion ...s/c..headers...

So I'm curious, if you had 14k to throw into the wind what would you do with it?
You know what you have,so I would throw the 14K towards the conversion. If you are having trouble I could help you out and take the 14K off your hands, so I could buy my conversion. Here is my address where you could mail the 14K.
245 Fran......

Good luck

John
Long Island
Old 05-24-2009, 08:56 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,939 Likes on 4,817 Posts

I would spend 7k on engine mods and the other 7k on a nice vacation, should make you and the wife happy.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:04 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

For $14k, you can easily mod the C6 ans blow the doors of a Z06.
Supercharger
Wide rear conversion
Headers
Old 05-24-2009, 09:12 AM
BobGomez
Instructor

Let's see...

why get a Z06? power & prestige? why not? Someone said about s/c 'you can beat some stock Z06s'...yeah that's just a recipe for making me unhappy

I like how you guys are looking out for folks by basically saying 'don't stretch that dollar so thin you fall through', just shows this is a group of stand up people.

In anycase, I think getting a Zed is going to be my next obsession, going through the F/I section the mod bug looks way more expensive...although I did just figure out that there is NO REMOVABLE TOP?! That stinks!

Appreciate all of the advice!
Old 05-24-2009, 09:37 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Let's see...

why get a Z06? power & prestige? why not? Someone said about s/c 'you can beat some stock Z06s'...yeah that's just a recipe for making me unhappy

I like how you guys are looking out for folks by basically saying 'don't stretch that dollar so thin you fall through', just shows this is a group of stand up people.

In anycase, I think getting a Zed is going to be my next obsession, going through the F/I section the mod bug looks way more expensive...although I did just figure out that there is NO REMOVABLE TOP?! That stinks!

Appreciate all of the advice!
Well, that was a big part of the point I was trying to make.

BTW, I like the one guy's rationale which went along the lines of: Don't let these Z06 owners talk you into a Z06 because you don't need it unless you are tracking the car.....instead just supercharge your car and make it even faster than a Z06.

He doesn't say why one would need a supercharger, or need to mod a car to be even more powerful than a Z06, unless they were also "tracking" that car.

Let's see..."Someone said about s/c 'you can beat some stock Z06s'...yeah that's just a recipe for making me unhappy"
And possibly your wife too, when you have to explain to her, why you are, in this economy, dumping even more money$$$$$ than the original 14 grand, into the car after something pops.

$14 grand plus, into a car which is losing value every day???? And then the 14 grand is being "lost" on top of that, since you can't recoup mod money??? If she thinks you are losing your mind now, wait until then.

You do the math. You say its worth $32k now....Do you think that you can get $46k for it after doing $14,000.00 worth of $#** to it??? Especially at a time when someone looking to spend 46k can go out and buy a real Z06?

People don't like to talk about it much, but when you mod to the extent that you were describing, its always good to count on spending more than what you planned, (in your case, 14 grand), for when/if things go "boom" or "bang".

You gotta know, that 14 grand might end up being 20 grand or more, should you wind up needing a rebuild, clutch, and some of the other stuff that many people who go that route all to often seem to end up needing.

At any rate, the Zed Oh Six is a great choice. A lot of the fun is in finding one. Good luck.

Supercar Movies. Scroll down to episode 10.

BTW, Z06s can be modded too.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-24-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:54 AM
lockman
Burning Brakes

here in Va beach they have an 08 z06 with 3000 miles on it for sale at 54,000 and they said they will come down from there it's been sitting for awhile
Old 05-24-2009, 10:32 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

I would wait for the Grand sport conversion to hit the streets..

I bet its 2500 bucks in parts for both the front fenders, the nose and the rear quarters

I'd have it painted and installed for another few grand..

I'm thinking 5 grand for the grand sport installed on your vert..then...

I'd buy Z06 OEM take off rims and tires from the used parts section of this site....for another grand..

If you need more power? (which I really doubt)

I'd have a basic supercharger kit installed for 7 grand and call it a day..(no headers, no nothing...just the supercharger kit of your choice, alky injection, and enjoy superior hp than a z06..

Actually in this economy I wouldn't spend the money but thats a totally personal choice..

The real decision is do you want to take the top down on your sports car or not?

If you don't? then buy the z06.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
What' I'd do with $14k is buy a KIA Soul.
Boy, were not helping this guy out very much.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:41 AM
spinedoc77
Burning Brakes

$14k will get you a very decent motorcycle !
Old 05-24-2009, 10:43 AM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Wife thinks something is wrong with my head, I've had my used '06 since october and I'm wanting to get a Z06 now!
She might be right!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:18 AM
comes alive
Instructor

Default Z06

I traded my 07 for an 08z it was $14,000 + the money I lost with the payments I made on the 07. I just cant look back. The z is a much better car in my opinion.Goodluck
Old 05-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Other than the obvious, what will you gain? What will you do with the Z06 that you don't (or can't) do with your C6? Do you regularly track your car? Is your desire for the Z06 more of an ego thing...a 'feel good' purchase (not that there's anything wrong with that)? Could you be just as happy modding your C6? When all is said and done, if you still can't live without a Z06 and most importantly if you can very comfortably afford it...buy the Z06!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:28 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 828 Likes on 461 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

You do what you want . It's your money.
No C6 is an investment car( maybe the ZR1 eventually). Modding your car will cost less than 14k if you knew how to shop and you were patient.
I installed a SC in my car just so I know the power is there
In have not tracked it but I may once just to see what it can do, but it won't be a track car.

All cars depreciate, Z06s are no different than stock C6s. Difference is , if you are selling your stock C6, you can always mod it down and move the mods to the new car, can't do that to what you pay for a stock Z car.
Z cars are awesome, IMHO not worth the extra 20k or so over stock, that's a lot of play money and they will depreciateand no removable top
Old 05-24-2009, 12:14 PM
EuroVette07
Instructor

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
BTW, I like the one guy's rationale which went along the lines of: Don't let these Z06 owners talk you into a Z06 because you don't need it unless you are tracking the car.....instead just supercharge your car and make it even faster than a Z06. He doesn't say why one would need a supercharger, or need to mod a car to be even more powerful than a Z06, unless they were also "tracking" that car. BTW, Z06s can be modded too.
First of all, the only thing this guy talks about is the car going POP or BANG. As I stated earlier there are plenty of reputable shops out there and they give warranties for thier work. Second why mod a Z06 if you aren't going to track it, you can't go any faster then 70 mph in the states unless you are going from light to light in 3 sec. Third, if you are never going to track it why pay 25k more for 65 more hp, you only need the other upgrades for the track. I tell you what bring your stock 70k stock Z06 where I am and lets see if you can keep up with my 50k vette
Old 05-24-2009, 12:22 PM
TwistedAphid
Instructor

Originally Posted by spinedoc77
$14k will get you a very decent motorcycle !

You can get a Hayabusa and a turbo kit for that much $$$.

If you want to go fast that would do it.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:29 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

That's terrible advice (because I'm sitting here with beer number 7..8? in my hand totally thinking tuesday would be a great time to test drive a Z....)

Maybe if I'm lucky my iPhone game will make me enough to not worry about the decision yuck yuck :\
Pop a top again till she takes off. Then try getting your Z.

Get notified of new replies

To The $14,000 decision...help?

Old 05-24-2009, 12:35 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettezman
All cars depreciate, Z06s are no different than stock C6s....(
Indeed they do.

But his car by his own count in post #1, is worth 32K. Being a 2006, it is probably currently dropping.

He is talking $14,000.00 in mods. $14,000.00 represents 44% of what the whole damn car is worth right now.

Somebody said something about "removable tops" and that being the "real decision". That might not be the biggest question he needs to ask himself. Especially if the case is that he rarely drives with the top down anyway. He didn't say.

He has to ask himself if it makes sense to him to dump $14,000.00, or 44% of what the car is worth right now, into mods for it.

Or any mod money into it, knowing that those monies could go towards a Z06. And not necessarily a "high mileage" one either. He can get a deal on a low mileage one.

Especially if he knows going in that mod money is not going to increase the current value of his depreciating car anywhere near that, and the fact that he will not recoup that money should he part with the car.

The second question he has to ask himself is how much he has into the car now, or the original sale price of the car.

Then put pencil to paper and add $14,000.00 to that original sale figure of the car, and look at the total cash outlay for what will be his "modded" 2006 C6.

If he is comfortable with having that kind of dough tied up into a 2006 C6, which on a good day, even with all of those mods, might be worth $35K when its done, well then he has the answer to his question.

If he is not, well then its Z06 time.

The bottom line is, he is going to lose some of the 14k he is looking to spend.

If he uses it towards the Z06, he doesn't get hurt as badly as if he uses it towards mods.

He uses the 14k in mods, and he will see little if any of it back when its time to part with the car.

I don't think anyone here is going to try and argue that a "home brew" supercharged C6, with a garage DIY "wide booty kit" on it, is going to hold its value better than an unmolested Z06.

For the 46K he would be looking to spend,(counting the value of his current car, 32k plus the 14k) he can find an '07, still with some of its 5yr/100k powertrain warranty left on it, unmolested, unmodified, and above all, its a Z06.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-24-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:35 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As much as I would like a Z06 I would not own one unless it was my second Vette. I love the ride of my F55 and we use the car for vacations. I also love taking the top off which you can't do with the Z06. If was me I would spend the 14K on mods.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:49 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The jump from where I'm at to a Z06 is probably going to cost me at least 14k (I'm thinking selling for ~$32 for what I'm in and 46k to get into a higher mileage Z06)

So then I'm thinking...well 14k could get me a z06 rear end conversion ...s/c..headers...

So I'm curious, if you had 14k to throw into the wind what would you do with it?
IMO... I would get the Z06... it's much more than extra parts and power...

Quick Reply: The $14,000 decision...help?