C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflers are for sissies (24hrs with BB Bullets)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:06 PM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my Bullets
Old 06-14-2009, 07:10 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have the NPP exhaust on my C6, but I do have the same setup on my XLR-V and I enjoy leaving the baffles open most of the time using the mild2wild switch. It's loud enough to let folks know there is a little something under the hood while not being obnoxious. You say your car gets a lot of attention, but I can assure you it's not good attention. They are not admiring how nice your car looks and how good it sounds. They are looking at you like you are an idiot for making so much noise pollution. I can take any 4 cylinder car and make it loud. Noise does not equal power. Just like the guys who put about 1000 watts of stereo in a automobile and crank it up so loud the pavement cracks.

It's your car, but you should have some consideration for those around you. Especially your neighbors when you come cruising home late at night. Don't fool yourself into thinking all the attention is positive because I can assure you it's not. I see these thread all the time and usually ignore them, but when someone takes pride in being a nusiance to the general public I just had to throw in my 2 cents. I'm sure you will outgrow them in time. Especially when your grilfriend/wife starts refusing to ride in the car.

Last edited by C6Tim; 06-14-2009 at 07:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
usr5000 (01-30-2017)
Old 06-14-2009, 07:11 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

I had them for a week. I loved the wide open, but with 1 7/8" Kooks Headers and X-Pipe, they were just way too loud, and the drone was unbearable with the roof on. My wife would literally hold her fingers in her ears the one time she did ride with them, then refused to get back in afterwards until they were gone.

I imagine we could probably live with them without the headers though.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinZ51C6
I'd say both, but it is more important for me to enjoy it. I find the sound of a sports car to be an important part of the driving experience
This is probably the only place we disagree. I bought my car for me, not to impress anyone else, so I don't consider waking up the exhaust for the 'benefit' of others. If I did the exhaust it would be only for my enjoyment.

Kind of the reason I asked the neighbor question. We got a few types around here that are too much interested in getting noticed by their exhausts, including the joy of waking neighbors up at night (and surprisingly think that is cool).

Kind of fits in the 'people may not be able to tell the difference' category between a ricer/fart can and a high powered car with open exhausts. I can, but most cannot. I am just not interested in being 'that person' (self esteem not tied up in trivialities).

Good luck, though.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Naustica
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1500-1900rpm is highway cruising speed ~65-80mph. I guess you're not planning many long road trips in the car.
Rapid Fred (02-02-2017)
Old 06-14-2009, 07:27 PM
KevinZ51C6
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C6Tim
I don't have the NPP exhaust on my C6, but I do have the same setup on my XLR-V and I enjoy leaving the baffles open most of the time using the mild2wild switch. It's loud enough to let folks know there is a little something under the hood while not being obnoxious. You say your car gets a lot of attention, but I can assure you it's not good attention. They are not admiring how nice your car looks and how good it sounds. They are looking at you like you are an idiot for making so much noise pollution. I can take any 4 cylinder car and make it loud. Noise does not equal power. Just like the guys who put about 1000 watts of stereo in a automobile and crank it up so loud the pavement cracks.

It's your car, but you should have some consideration for those around you. Especially your neighbors when you come cruising home late at night. Don't fool yourself into thinking all the attention is positive because I can assure you it's not. I see these thread all the time and usually ignore them, but when someone takes pride in being a nusiance to the general public I just had to throw in my 2 cents. I'm sure you will outgrow them in time. Especially when your grilfriend/wife starts refusing to ride in the car.

Actually everyone I have encountered so far has had nothing but good things to say, even my conservative, Camry driving older brother who says it's what a Vette should sound like. My wife actually likes it too and is not bothered by the drone which surprised me as I thought she would hate it.

I'm sure there are some who will shake there head as I drive by, but some people just like to complain
Old 06-14-2009, 07:29 PM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default B&B bullet

you know some buy corvettes to be posers or young again... then there are true corvette owners we appreciate what it is and what it can do.. we like to modify our cars.we buy these cars because of the love of the car. i came from a long line of corvette owners. had an uncle who helped build the when they were built outside of st louis mo.. some buy them at the end of there careers and cant hear well anymore so they dont like anything that resembles a sports car sound.i have been around some who ask how old i am when i tell them im 47 they just look at me? they waited there whole lives before they could afford this car. my house is paid off no more kids at home. i enjoy my c6 some of you complain that its too loud, and they wouldnt do that to there car. well go buy a honda! give the vette away to someone who will drive it and take care of it. not just keep it in the garage to look at. they were made to be driven not looked at. when i drive mine with bullets i get thumbs up.. i have been stopped and been told that that is what a corvette should sound like! with just bullets the car sounds like a concert! those who barely drive there vettes why did you buy them if you were just going to look at them? you make the rest of us look bad! drive them enjoy them for what they are {sports cars} if you dont drive them because you can afford to fix them if they get messed up then you dont need them... guys with the headers,bullets, intakes and all of the other mods to you i say HELL YEAH!!! DRIVE EM LIKE YOU STOLE IT!! just be safe!
Old 06-14-2009, 07:30 PM
KevinZ51C6
Pro

Originally Posted by Naustica
1500-1900rpm is highway cruising speed ~65-80mph. I guess you're not planning many long road trips in the car.
The sound is not the same in every gear. 1500-1900 is much louder in 2nd than it is in 6th The freeway is when it's at it's most quiet, thankfully.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:35 PM
KevinZ51C6
Pro

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
This is probably the only place we disagree. I bought my car for me, not to impress anyone else, so I don't consider waking up the exhaust for the 'benefit' of others. If I did the exhaust it would be only for my enjoyment.

Kind of the reason I asked the neighbor question. We got a few types around here that are too much interested in getting noticed by their exhausts, including the joy of waking neighbors up at night (and surprisingly think that is cool).

Kind of fits in the 'people may not be able to tell the difference' category between a ricer/fart can and a high powered car with open exhausts. I can, but most cannot. I am just not interested in being 'that person' (self esteem not tied up in trivialities).

Good luck, though.
Perhaps you misunderstood my post. If one's main goal is to impress others to somehow boost their self esteem through driving a loud car, well that's not even sad, it just sounds silly

I enjoy going to car meets and having other car guys appreciate what it sounds like also. I don't see any harm in that.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
24 hours with bullets, you're still in the honeymoon phase! Tell us if you still love after 6 mos. Every cop dropping his donut and spinning his head towards your still unseen car, headaches from drone on long trips, having to scream to have a conversation, not hearing that song you love... Not saying you wont still like em but speaking from exp( welded straight pipes in 5.0 years ago) but maybe not as much as you do now. Enjoy!
I've had my BBs on for over 2 years. Daily driver. Just completed a 1500+ mile road trip on the western half of Route 66. Never have had any problems with police (or the neighbors), no headaches. I still love em.

Last edited by Grumpy; 06-16-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinZ51C6
Perhaps you misunderstood my post. If one's main goal is to impress others to somehow boost their self esteem through driving a loud car, well that's not even sad, it just sounds silly

I enjoy going to car meets and having other car guys appreciate what it sounds like also. I don't see any harm in that.
probably the diificulties in the subtlety of language on line. not really trying to bust on you.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:50 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC6
24 hours with bullets, you're still in the honeymoon phase! Tell us if you still love after 6 mos. Every cop dropping his donut and spinning his head towards your still unseen car, headaches from drone on long trips, having to scream to have a conversation, not hearing that song you love... Not saying you wont still like em but speaking from exp( welded straight pipes in 5.0 years ago) but maybe not as much as you do now. Enjoy!

Comment by pjred was classless and uncalled for.
I had Bullets for three years on two different Corvettes. Never got pulled over with them, never had a neighbor complain, and never got a headache.

I'm the first to say that there is some drone at certain speeds and rpms, but generally speaking I found them be acceptable when driven mildly.

I'm with the OP - every time I ran it through the gears I got a huge grin. I'm on my second set of NPPs now and I also agree with the OP that the NPPs are no match for Bullets.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:29 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I've had my BBs on for over 2 years. Daily driver. Just completed a 1500+ mile road trip on the western half of Route 66. Never have had any problems with police (or the neighbors), no headaches. I still love em.
Originally Posted by jschindler
I had Bullets for three years on two different Corvettes. Never got pulled over with them, never had a neighbor complain, and never got a headache.

I'm the first to say that there is some drone at certain speeds and rpms, but generally speaking I found them be acceptable when driven mildly.

I'm with the OP - every time I ran it through the gears I got a huge grin. I'm on my second set of NPPs now and I also agree with the OP that the NPPs are no match for Bullets.
To both.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:25 PM
JDC1999
Racer

Anybody put them on a vert?

I'm with the OP. I think that our cars are bada$$, but one of the weak points (IMHO) is the lack of a singnature rumble. The mustang GT has a signature sound that I think is pretty impressive.....nice low gurgle at idle and then a throatier rumble when you open it up. I think that there is so much mod-ing to the exhaust going on because we are looking for that sound we each think the car should have, but our tastes vary. One day I will likely change my exhaust system, but I am not sure which one I will go with.

For now I will live vicariously through you guys and look for feedback to steer me in the right direction.

Mike
Old 06-14-2009, 09:48 PM
cmnguye8
Racer

Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 PM
cmnguye8
Racer

When yall say "drone" what exactly do you mean; sounding identical to other exhaust systems?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:04 PM
HKILP7M8
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine for over a year and still love them, they actually seem to have gotten more quite as time goes by(maybe I'm losing more of my hearing). I love them and have never had a problem with police or neighbors either.

Get notified of new replies

To Mufflers are for sissies (24hrs with BB Bullets)

Old 06-14-2009, 10:04 PM
JDC1999
Racer

Drone is the low, constant background noise that is heard with some of the louder exhaust systems.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:18 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JDC1999
Anybody put them on a vert?

I'm with the OP. I think that our cars are bada$$, but one of the weak points (IMHO) is the lack of a singnature rumble. The mustang GT has a signature sound that I think is pretty impressive.....nice low gurgle at idle and then a throatier rumble when you open it up. I think that there is so much mod-ing to the exhaust going on because we are looking for that sound we each think the car should have, but our tastes vary. One day I will likely change my exhaust system, but I am not sure which one I will go with.

For now I will live vicariously through you guys and look for feedback to steer me in the right direction.

Mike
I totally agree that the Vette should have a nice distinctive rumble and the stock exhaust without NPP does not cut it. However, a exhaust that sounds like "three harley's" is just too much and can't help but be a nuisance to most. I would prefer something in the middle. Not too quiet, but not a nuisance to my neighbors.
usr5000 (01-30-2017)
Old 06-14-2009, 10:21 PM
cmnguye8
Racer

Originally Posted by JDC1999
Drone is the low, constant background noise that is heard with some of the louder exhaust systems.
thanks for the tip, I will try to keep and eye out and hear it for myself...

How loud is the stinger compared to the NPP with open flaps.

Quick Reply: Mufflers are for sissies (24hrs with BB Bullets)