C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflers are for sissies (24hrs with BB Bullets)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:22 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JDC1999
Anybody put them on a vert?

I'm with the OP. I think that our cars are bada$$, but one of the weak points (IMHO) is the lack of a singnature rumble. The mustang GT has a signature sound that I think is pretty impressive.....nice low gurgle at idle and then a throatier rumble when you open it up. I think that there is so much mod-ing to the exhaust going on because we are looking for that sound we each think the car should have, but our tastes vary. One day I will likely change my exhaust system, but I am not sure which one I will go with.

For now I will live vicariously through you guys and look for feedback to steer me in the right direction.

Mike
Yes, I had them on my 05 Vert for two years. The vert actually has better acoustics than the coupe.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:57 PM
RAT
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

If your ever up north I would love to hear your Vette. Do with it as you want and enjoy it.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:57 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinZ51C6
Ok. As many of you know I have been quite conflicted for some time concerning exhaust selection. We all know sound is subjective, so a system that sounds great to one cf member might sound awful or annoying to another. The youtube exhaust clips offer nothing but sound distortion, especially for the louder kits and my laptop speakers do not help the situation.

I finally decided to get the loudest, and if I hated it I would just sell it and get the next step down (the stingers). I recieved great service from Corvettes of Houston and a great price (cheaper than anywhere else).

I was quite anxious to start it up for the first time. Damn it was loud Not bad loud, but a very deep, burbling, rumbling, three harleys at a stoplight loud. I could not believe that sound came from a stock header/cat/cam c6. It sounds like a 454 with a 264/274 cam and open headers.

I loved it, but I still was concerned. Would this get tiresome, especially on the weekdays during commute? I can't answer that yet, but to say this car gets attention is a drastic understatement. Being a red C6, I'm already accustomed to it, but this exhaust took that to a whole other level.

I've already compared it in person to a borla and a corsa. People who say their NPP with it open or their Corsa Sports sound strong and powerful really have no idea (not to **** off half the people on here)
next to this even the borla sounds like a 4 banger Camry.

The most amazing part is that cruising on the freeway doesn't drone at all! You can hear a low, deep pitch but I wouldn't consider it droning, perhaps some would. You can still use the Bose system and still converse with the wife (not sure if that is a plus). The only time it really drones is 1500-1900rpm going up hills and I found the only thing you can do is downshift.

So this exhaust isn't for everyone, but if you want your car to sound badass; accept no substitute. I'd post a video but they don't do it justice just like every other one I have heard online.
I'm sure it sounds great....but please post an update after 30-45 days or so of living with it and let us know if your opinion has changed any
Old 06-15-2009, 12:32 AM
KevinZ51C6
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glrc6
If your ever up north I would love to hear your Vette. Do with it as you want and enjoy it.
I actually live in Washington also, in north Tacoma. Let me know if you're in my area, as I'd be happy to show you
Old 06-15-2009, 03:38 AM
Glory be to GOD
Account disables by request 13 July 2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With no mufflers will I still pass DEQ?
Old 06-15-2009, 03:46 AM
mountain ride
Racer

I still like them BB's with the oval tips..

Old 06-15-2009, 07:22 AM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what would you say is the next 1 and 2 steps down in sound? I leave my house at 5am sharp every morning. I do wish to be kind to my neighbors who probably are still in REM sleep. I would not dare start up my big block Chevelle at this time because it's ridiculously loud, so Bullets seem like they would be nearly as loud.

RMX
Old 06-15-2009, 07:33 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

They get even better with headers!!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Gerry miller
Instructor

Default GOOD ANSWER. HEh Hee

Nope, never said it was cool. A deaf person could tell the difference between this exhaust and some ricer Civic. I always thought sports cars were meant to sound like sports cars.

I guess your outlook changes the older you get, it's ok, don't feel bad about it, but perhaps you should look into Crown Vic or a Grand Marquis
That was a good answer. I liked it. But I had Bullets and after a long trip they are gone. Quality and sound were awesome outside though inside had my ears ringing. Good Luck
Old 06-15-2009, 10:10 AM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bullets

one last reply. from my perspective:i have a LS2 with stock manifolds, and just B&B bullets my ears do not ring after a long drive {3 or more hours} its a nice purr at 75 and 80 mph. if you go up a hill and hit those higher rpms its a little louder. if you work in an office and are sensitive to noises above what you are used to sitting in an office then yes they can bother you. but i cant see you getting a headache? maybe some of you should buy a different car? im 47 dont work in an office. for you older or {sensitive guys} buy a cadillac! i hear they are quite! just playing!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 AM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JDC1999
Anybody put them on a vert?

I'm with the OP. I think that our cars are bada$$, but one of the weak points (IMHO) is the lack of a singnature rumble. The mustang GT has a signature sound that I think is pretty impressive.....nice low gurgle at idle and then a throatier rumble when you open it up. I think that there is so much mod-ing to the exhaust going on because we are looking for that sound we each think the car should have, but our tastes vary. One day I will likely change my exhaust system, but I am not sure which one I will go with.

For now I will live vicariously through you guys and look for feedback to steer me in the right direction.

Mike
I would think they would be great on a vert and not have drone. The coupes don't drone with the top off, I think its just the design of the rear hatch area catching the sound back there.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

We keep calling these things "mufflers". They are straight pipes with a slight bulge that muffles very very little.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm glad you found an exhaust you're happy with.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:35 AM
marc2005c6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Naustica
1500-1900rpm is highway cruising speed ~65-80mph. I guess you're not planning many long road trips in the car.

Not if you drive in 4th or below lol.

mn6????
Old 07-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Ed 718
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin any updates on the exhaust as I am looking for the same setup on a otherwise stock c6 with a CAI mod?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I guess this Viet Nam vet is a SISSY. Thanks for the compliment.

For the record I had the B&B Bullets on for less than 24 hours before I removed and sold them. The way the interior pieces buzzed and the distorted images in all the mirrors was bad enough, but after a 30 minute drive the ringing in my ears was enough to convince me that the Bullets were just not for me. With my M6 the drone between 1400 and 1700 RPM was unbearable.

I finally bought installed Borla Spots and never looked back.

I fear folks will suffer hearing damage similar to folks that listen to some of those obnoxious car audio systems that thump through my sub division regardless of hour.

Very rude and possibly physically harmful.
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (02-02-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 10:05 AM
gjjcvette
Advanced

Ok. As many of you know I have been quite conflicted for some time concerning exhaust selection. We all know sound is subjective, so a system that sounds great to one cf member might sound awful or annoying to another. The youtube exhaust clips offer nothing but sound distortion, especially for the louder kits and my laptop speakers do not help the situation.

I finally decided to get the loudest, and if I hated it I would just sell it and get the next step down (the stingers). I recieved great service from Corvettes of Houston and a great price (cheaper than anywhere else).

I was quite anxious to start it up for the first time. Damn it was loud Not bad loud, but a very deep, burbling, rumbling, three harleys at a stoplight loud. I could not believe that sound came from a stock header/cat/cam c6. It sounds like a 454 with a 264/274 cam and open headers.

I loved it, but I still was concerned. Would this get tiresome, especially on the weekdays during commute? I can't answer that yet, but to say this car gets attention is a drastic understatement. Being a red C6, I'm already accustomed to it, but this exhaust took that to a whole other level.

I've already compared it in person to a borla and a corsa. People who say their NPP with it open or their Corsa Sports sound strong and powerful really have no idea (not to **** off half the people on here)
next to this even the borla sounds like a 4 banger Camry.

The most amazing part is that cruising on the freeway doesn't drone at all! You can hear a low, deep pitch but I wouldn't consider it droning, perhaps some would. You can still use the Bose system and still converse with the wife (not sure if that is a plus). The only time it really drones is 1500-1900rpm going up hills and I found the only thing you can do is downshift.

So this exhaust isn't for everyone, but if you want your car to sound badass; accept no substitute. I'd post a video but they don't do it justice just like every other one I have heard online.
Great review. I am thinking of also going bullets or SLP Loudmouths. I am only concerned about the drone at around 1600 - 1800 RPM driving around town with constant shifts (1st to 2nd, second to 3rd, ...). I am affraid that the in-cabin drone at those RPMs will "over-ride" the great sound on the outside, meaning that I will not be able to hear the sweet outside sound since the drone will "cover" it.... Your experience, since this is an old thread, will be greatly appreciated!

Get notified of new replies

To Mufflers are for sissies (24hrs with BB Bullets)

Old 01-29-2017, 10:14 AM
gjjcvette
Advanced

Default Borla Sports vs Bullets...

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
I guess this Viet Nam vet is a SISSY. Thanks for the compliment.

For the record I had the B&B Bullets on for less than 24 hours before I removed and sold them. The way the interior pieces buzzed and the distorted images in all the mirrors was bad enough, but after a 30 minute drive the ringing in my ears was enough to convince me that the Bullets were just not for me. With my M6 the drone between 1400 and 1700 RPM was unbearable.

I finally bought installed Borla Spots and never looked back.

I fear folks will suffer hearing damage similar to folks that listen to some of those obnoxious car audio systems that thump through my sub division regardless of hour.

Very rude and possibly physically harmful.
So, do the Borla Sports sound "too" mellow. I mean, do you have to hammer the car to get sound out of them. I like good sound starting at around 1800 RPMs, but not the inside cabin drone you are perfectly describing. What kind of sound do you feel starting at 1800 RPMs. Can you hear the exhaust, while driving, like its coming from the rear. With the bullets, I believe you always only hear it only in the cabin....
Old 01-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Monts
Pro

Originally Posted by gjjcvette
Great review. I am thinking of also going bullets or SLP Loudmouths. I am only concerned about the drone at around 1600 - 1800 RPM driving around town with constant shifts (1st to 2nd, second to 3rd, ...). I am affraid that the in-cabin drone at those RPMs will "over-ride" the great sound on the outside, meaning that I will not be able to hear the sweet outside sound since the drone will "cover" it.... Your experience, since this is an old thread, will be greatly appreciated!
Going forward, with the automotive advances at present, "loud" will be representing the slower and older versions of performance. Or perhaps "pretend performance", especially in typical commute or grocery getter, non-track use.

Quiet is becoming the new performance standard. "Loud" cars are summarily getting whipped by the electrics while attracting negative attention by the cops and everyone else who is thinking "who in the hell is making all that racket"

To me the noise is superfluous while attracting attention which says, look at me, I am driving older, noisier and slower technology, look at me!
Old 01-29-2017, 10:48 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I had several loud motorcycles, one Harley with open drag pipes, a '70 Camaro with headers, all great fun while young.

But they pissed off other people. When I was younger I didn't care and didn't really notice, but as I got older I started thinking about other people's feelings. Same as shooting guns on my property -- I don't do it anymore for the same reason.

Too old for loud cars now, I enjoy the quiet and so do my neighbors.

Quick Reply: Mufflers are for sissies (24hrs with BB Bullets)