C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service column lock.....again!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:47 PM
racerboyroy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1988Bullitt
I have been currently having this problem with mine, there are 2 ways to get it started.

1. If the message center says “service column lock” I can usually take the load off the wheel (and locking pin) and then push the start button at the same time and the car will start.

2. Sometimes the wheel does not lock and the car does not start, I get no message on the information center and the battery voltage is fine. When this happens I disconnect the positive battery cable, touch it to the negative cable for 10 second, then reconnect it. This clears out / resets everything and the car starts. You may need to cycle the switch twice to get it to start, but usually when you reconnect the battery, you hear the lock motor cycle and the car will start on the first try.

THANK YOU very much for this post !
Old 02-15-2010, 05:51 PM
racerboyroy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastskyline
you need to have the lock replaced. i had mine towed 3 times (under warranty) before they finally changed the lock. havent had any problems in 3 years.

Thanks for the positive post.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:55 AM
KTVette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RtStuf
The most common reason for column lock issue is weak or WRONG SIZE battery. Check manual & battery.
Can you describe your experience on this issue to make this statement?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:20 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RushThruLife
Hello everyone.
For the 2nd time in 5 months, I`m having to tow my vette into a dealer for column lock issues. 52,000 fairly problem free miles and now this.
So I suppose I have to fork over money for another towing bill.
Yesterday it was running fine and today this. Seems quite sudden. Is there anything I can check before having it towed. Battery is new and on charger.
that should be covered ouner a bul. that was out
Old 04-17-2011, 12:38 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

See GM doc. I.D. 2527470 - #PIC5367. Requires replacing the Steering Column Lock motor assembly. 2005 Corvettes with manual trans. only.

Quick Reply: Service column lock.....again!