C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Check Oil Level" (DIC Warning)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
The DIC read 99% after I picked up the car. I'm thinking all they did was reset it and move on. I'm debating if I have the energy to call them out on their shady work and see where it takes me.
Since they reset the moniter then you HAVE used 53% of your oil life.

The oil life percentage reading isn't done by a chemical sample of the oil, it's an algorithim of time, heat, start cycles, engine load, engine RPM, etc.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:09 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by haljensen
Since they reset the moniter then you HAVE used 53% of your oil life.

The oil life percentage reading isn't done by a chemical sample of the oil, it's an algorithim of time, heat, start cycles, engine load, engine RPM, etc.

City driving and lots of "spirited" events with the gas pedal and that oil life number will drop like a stone.

Elmer
Old 09-09-2009, 10:45 AM
mongooseC6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A local ervice center changed the oil in my sister's vehicle and did not properly intall the plug (or maybe didn't even reinstall it). Anyway, it fell out and the oil was drained before she got home and the engine seized. They did reimburse her for repairs. Carelessness not intentional cheating, though.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
City driving and lots of "spirited" events with the gas pedal and that oil life number will drop like a stone.

Elmer
Short trips in winter (Elmer, you can look up "winter" on the internet ) will use up the life in a hurry, too.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give me a little credit chief (I checked the dipstick to guess how much oil I had). In any matter, now I'm worried. I believe the dealer screwed me and never changed my oil. As some of you had said you usually travel 6000 miles and your DIC would read 50%. Well, My oil change before that (remember, I had it changed at the dealer at 13,600 miles) was at 11,000 miles and I'm at 17,000 right now. You do the math. Just typing this is making me angry. What recourse do I have? There is only two things that could that this can be attributed to.

A. Massive oil consumption.
B. Stealership screwed me.

Thoughts?
Normal for a "lot of city traffic and stop and go." Also, "spirited" driving. What you've explained is exactly my situation. Going in next week for another OLF (and $$). Completely normal.
My $.02.

Red Cell.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 AM
richie15
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Whenever I have doubts about someone not doing an oil change correctly I reach under the car and put a scratch mark on the filter before I bring it in.If it's gone and the oil is clean afterwards I know the whole job was done.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:40 AM
holdin5aces
Burning Brakes

Default yep

Originally Posted by talon90
If it was a one time display and your oil level was good on the stick, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sometimes even the act of parking on an incline can cause the oil to be off the sensor at startup.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:57 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Short trips in winter (Elmer, you can look up "winter" on the internet ) will use up the life in a hurry, too.

Hey! We have winter here! Of course your "winter" may vary a few degrees from my "winter".

Elmer
Old 09-10-2009, 01:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Hey! We have winter here! Of course your "winter" may vary a few degrees from my "winter".

Elmer
Those 60's can be brutal......BBBrrrrrrrr
Old 09-10-2009, 01:37 PM
AroundMyHorn
Pro

Originally Posted by Red Cell
Normal for a "lot of city traffic and stop and go." Also, "spirited" driving. What you've explained is exactly my situation. Going in next week for another OLF (and $$). Completely normal.
My $.02.

Red Cell.
So it's normal for 1 quart to be missing?
Old 09-10-2009, 03:16 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I don't think that the dealer didn't change your oil. My DIC goes down at the same rate as yours - I do primarily city driving and I like to ride the RPMs high (= sprited driving). I would go to zero in 6000 miles.

Driving soley highway is a different story. I recently did a long trip (7000 miles) and the DIC only went down by 42%.

My car also burns oil but falls into the "normal" category.

Hope this helps.

You have to keep in mind the majority of this forum babies their C6's - Wash , wax , and a few thousand miles a year .

If you beat the **** out of the car on a daily basis , yes it will burn some oil and yes your oil life will be significantly shortened .

On days at the track , my car will burn half a quart alone . Getting the oil temp close to 300 will do that .

So it's normal for 1 quart to be missing?
Totaly , especially on a LS2 - My 07 drank oil like a pig - Always had to quart up at around 2500 miles .
Old 09-10-2009, 03:38 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, just changed my oil @ 7K from last change. DIC prompted the change.

I run this car hard in California heat as a DD, it runs like a top.

Half quart consumption over 7 K miles on the LS2.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:46 AM
SweetBlueZ51
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SweetBlueZ51
Had this come up on my DIC a few weeks after I did an oil change. I knew the oil level was definitely well within the upper portion of the cross-hatched area, so if anything the oil level is on the higher side. It only happened for 1 day, and never again. This was about a month ago. Never added more oil as I didn't need it. Strange. Must have been a sensor fluke. I hope it's not on the fritz and needs to be replaced. Anyone ever hear of this or have this happen? I guess there's so many things that can go wrong with the computers and sensors on these cars.
OK, back to the topic at hand and the results.

The "Check Oil Level" kept coming up in the DIC incessantly more and more as time went on. My oil level was definitely in the upper cross-hatched area, just for the heck of it I even added a little more to see if I can get the warnings to go away. They stayed. The dealer had it replaced, and in turn they had to drain all my oil and give me some nice, fresh new stuff. No more warnings in the DIC, and my oil is nice & clear (for now!). Yipee! I've had alot of problems with my car over the years, but fortunately they've all been fixed and the car is better than ever. Just wanted to share the results with you guys as this problem doesn't seem to come up much.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:08 AM
vette6500
Pro

Originally Posted by SweetBlueZ51
OK, back to the topic at hand and the results.

The "Check Oil Level" kept coming up in the DIC incessantly more and more as time went on. My oil level was definitely in the upper cross-hatched area, just for the heck of it I even added a little more to see if I can get the warnings to go away. They stayed. The dealer had it replaced, and in turn they had to drain all my oil and give me some nice, fresh new stuff. No more warnings in the DIC, and my oil is nice & clear (for now!). Yipee! I've had alot of problems with my car over the years, but fortunately they've all been fixed and the car is better than ever. Just wanted to share the results with you guys as this problem doesn't seem to come up much.
Just got my car back after a rebuild and it's throwing Check Oil Level codes on DIC. Do you mean your dealer replaced the Oil Level Sensor?
That sounds like a simple fix.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:27 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Looks like you should be fine OP. Me on the other hand......

I had my oil changed 3000 miles ago and the DIC reads at 47%. I checked my oil level and it looks to be about a quart short. Is my engine eating oil? I know I'm around 3000 miles but I've never had a car consume oil just because it wasn't changed out in timely matter. I'm hoping the dealer didn't screw this up as I will have to prove that they did such a thing. Any thoughts?
Sounds like your dealer simply didn't reset the oil life monitor at the time of oil change.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:28 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by vette6500
Just got my car back after a rebuild and it's throwing Check Oil Level codes on DIC. Do you mean your dealer replaced the Oil Level Sensor?
That sounds like a simple fix.
The op has probably sold that car, sold the next car, and died since this thread was last posted.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:48 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Looks like you should be fine OP. Me on the other hand......

I had my oil changed 3000 miles ago and the DIC reads at 47%. I checked my oil level and it looks to be about a quart short. Is my engine eating oil? I know I'm around 3000 miles but I've never had a car consume oil just because it wasn't changed out in timely matter. I'm hoping the dealer didn't screw this up as I will have to prove that they did such a thing. Any thoughts?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the % reading means how much oil your engine is using ( which would show on the dipstick). I always believed that the % reading meant how dirty your oil is getting and how soon you'll have to change it. So your oil should be clean enough and protective enough to last for another 3,000 miles or so.

Then again, I might be misunderstanding what you are saying. If so, I apologize for that.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:08 PM
vette6500
Pro

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
The op has probably sold that car, sold the next car, and died since this thread was last posted.

True, just happened to be a thread that came up with what my car started getting, LOL.

Quick Reply: "Check Oil Level" (DIC Warning)