C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-03-2015, 12:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Anybody's automatic get stuck in prk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:31 PM
mikepweters1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody's automatic get stuck in prk?

Hi Ive got a 2005 automatic C6. Problem is it sometimes will stick in park and wont let you shift into another gear(ie RN or D) with out playing with it for 1-4 minutes! I jiggle it and try to move it then after 1-4 minutes it will move.

Ive taken it to the dealer but they said they didn't know?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated Thanks Mike
Old 09-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Dogosaur
Advanced

I've experienced a similar issue but have always been able to correct it within moments. I read in the manual that when the shifter sticks, release the shifter button on top, push the shifter forward to make sure it's in park, then retry. That has always corrected the problem for me. (knockin on wood here). Anyway, if that doesn't do it then I think you have a dealership issue. Good luck with it.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Houston Z51
Instructor

When you are parking your car always try to pull the handbreak completely before put it in the park.

That will help.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All automatics are susceptible to locking in park if they move after being put in park. For example, if you are on a slope, and the hand brake does not fully hold the car in place, the force placed in the parking pawl may be sufficient to keep it from shifting out of park.

So, always put the hand brake on fully, and ensure the car is not moving when going into park.

Of course, it is possible for other problems to occur with the same symptom, but they are not common.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

It's a problem with a few 05 automatics. There have been other threads on it. The dealer had to replace the shifter on my silver 05 and it never happened again.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

My wifes 2007 C6 auto shift lever stuck in park in the garage about a week after we brought it home (I was *not* impressed.) It had to be trucked back to the dealer. They replaced the shifter and it's been fine ever since (three years now.)

Z//
Old 09-09-2009, 03:20 PM
c7joe
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 05 A4 and it has happened a number of times over the last 4 1/2 years. It seams if I try to take it out of park to quickly after starting it, it will lock up. I just wait a few seconds and it seams to unlock. Only once after idling a long time in park that I had to restart the engine to unlock it. I told the dealer about it in the first year I had it, but they could not duplicate the problem.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Ron one
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Stuck micro-switch

My '06 did a similar thing while still under warranty. I learned that if you slap the top of the shifter and it would release.The dealer replaced the entire shifter assy even though they said it was a stuck micro-switch.

LOL
Old 09-26-2009, 10:40 PM
JT-C6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'08-'10-'11

I have this exact issue right now. I'll post whatever fix the dealer provides. Mine is happening 50% of the time and always happens after an ignition start. Its never an issue after that, such as during a parking manuever. Its the same description, tending to clear itself within a few minutes. Its a bit unnerving when you just want to get underway.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Dogosaur
Advanced

A "stuck micro switch" actually sounds like a good answer but what on earth would cause something like that ? Apparently it's an "issue" because it certainly has been mentioned a few times. Wish someone would weigh in with a pretty definitive cause and solution other than "replace the shifter assembly". What micro switch.?..where is it ? Why would a micro switch cause an entire shifter to be replaced..? (expensive !!) Are there any other possibilities out there..?? As I mentioned previously, I have experienced this problem every so often but doing what the manual said has ALWAYS cleared it up...but now I'm WORRIED...!!!
Old 09-27-2009, 12:43 AM
MARVIN 34
Burning Brakes

i just had my car at the dealer early this week for this same problem, problem according to my service invoice is a BTSI SOLENOID FAULTY . the dealer replaced auto trans shift control assembly also.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:01 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I have an 05 A-4 and have a similiar strange problem. When I park put the shifter in park and parking brake on and shut off the car "Shift to Park" will come on display and the chimes will come on. So what I have been doing is jiggling the auto shifter and that usually get rid of "Shift to Park". I really would like to get this permanently fixed because I don't know if it is going to get worse or lead to some other problem.
I did have dealer look at this under factory warranty and they replaced some item on the bottom of car that looked like a cartridge sort of like a typewriter cartridge that was plastic. The problem went away for a short time but now it is back. Happens about 50-60% of the time now.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:27 AM
BBinFla
Instructor

Unfortuneately I just went through this about a month ago. The problem is the shift lock selinoid. It is mounted on the shifter and can not be bought by itself, therefore the whole shifter assembly has to be replaced at a "nice" cost. The dealer can do a diagnostic test to tell if the problem is on the brake pedal or a wiring problem or the selinoid itself. In my case the selinoid was going bad and I was told that if it goes out completely you won't be able to get it out of park and it will have to be towed. I don't know how much of this is true but I decided that for peace of mind and not wanting to be embarassed when I have friends in the car and there I am jiggling or banging my shifter to get it out of park, I had it replaced. Of course if I find out I could have bought just the selinoid at a much less expensive option I won't be too happy but this was my experience.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:07 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BBinFla
Unfortuneately I just went through this about a month ago. The problem is the shift lock selinoid. It is mounted on the shifter and can not be bought by itself, therefore the whole shifter assembly has to be replaced at a "nice" cost. The dealer can do a diagnostic test to tell if the problem is on the brake pedal or a wiring problem or the selinoid itself. In my case the selinoid was going bad and I was told that if it goes out completely you won't be able to get it out of park and it will have to be towed. I don't know how much of this is true but I decided that for peace of mind and not wanting to be embarassed when I have friends in the car and there I am jiggling or banging my shifter to get it out of park, I had it replaced. Of course if I find out I could have bought just the selinoid at a much less expensive option I won't be too happy but this was my experience.
So the "Shift to Park" problem only gets worse?
If that's the case then it is on your dealer who services the car to do this and not charge you for other expensive unnecessary repairs.
I wonder if this fix would be covered under the GMPP extended warranty? "shift to park"
Old 09-27-2009, 02:05 PM
BBinFla
Instructor

If I had the extended warranty, this would have been covered under that per the dealership.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Batmbl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dogosaur
I've experienced a similar issue but have always been able to correct it within moments. I read in the manual that when the shifter sticks, release the shifter button on top, push the shifter forward to make sure it's in park, then retry. That has always corrected the problem for me. (knockin on wood here). Anyway, if that doesn't do it then I think you have a dealership issue. Good luck with it.
A push forward first usually does it.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Force-1
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
I believe in the Beer Fairy
USAF (Retired) 1979-2001

My '05 did the same thing about once a month. I found that lifting my foot off the brake pedal, then pushing down on brake pedal again worked every time. This was my fix--yours may vary.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody's automatic get stuck in prk?

Old 09-27-2009, 08:59 PM
OhNiner
Race Director

My first 08 had this problem, the shifter was replaced under warranty after leaving me stranded the second time.

I started carrying a camcorder with me for proof I was having problems. Here is one of the videos from the last time I got stranded. A slide back tow truck came and dragged my car up the bed of the tow truck.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:19 PM
BBinFla
Instructor

Yeah, I tried the brake pedal trick, the push the shifter forward first trick, etc. etc. Sometimes one seemed to work and the next time it wouldn't and I'd try one of the other tricks but I just got tired of it and had the repair done. Believe me when I say that I wish one of these other tricks would have worked for me all the time.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:10 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BBinFla
Yeah, I tried the brake pedal trick, the push the shifter forward first trick, etc. etc. Sometimes one seemed to work and the next time it wouldn't and I'd try one of the other tricks but I just got tired of it and had the repair done. Believe me when I say that I wish one of these other tricks would have worked for me all the time.
How much was that repair or was it a GM warranty/ GMPP extended warranty repair?

Quick Reply: Anybody's automatic get stuck in prk?