C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers can't fix my car! What now??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:59 PM
lstorm2003
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by widgetsupply
I have a friend who took his Avalanche to the dealer multiple times for a problem related to poor power and accelleration. The last time, GM was getting ready to send out a technician from the factory when someone at the dealership finally realized the carpet was shoved up under the gas pedal. Someone should of lost their job over that one. Try a different dealer.
lol funny story.. But I'm actually on the 2nd dealer already. Do you think a 3rd dealer is in order??
Old 10-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree that the problem is being temporarily eliminated by something they are doing during the repair. I seriously doubt the wheel bearing itself is a problem, as I think you would agree after having it replaced 3 or 4 times. It sounds like the common thread here is that each time the car goes in for repair, the wheels are taken off. Then the noise goes away for a while. Wouldn't surprise me if it is related to wheel torque or something along those lines.

One thing you can try yourself is this: jack the car up and take off the front wheels. put them back on and make sure you torque them evenly with no load on them if possible. Then go see if the noise is gone- even temporarily. If this is the case, then you know that simply disturbing the wheels is what is eliminating the noise and that is where your problem lies.

Good luck with it, I know from experience that finding these things can be a serious pain.

Andy
Old 10-25-2009, 02:46 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

If GM doesn't mind giving your money back after 60 days on a new car now, then they shouldn't mind giving you a new car for this legitament problem. Maybe?
Old 10-25-2009, 02:53 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by widgetsupply
I have a friend who took his Avalanche to the dealer multiple times for a problem related to poor power and accelleration. The last time, GM was getting ready to send out a technician from the factory when someone at the dealership finally realized the carpet was shoved up under the gas pedal. Someone should of lost their job over that one. Try a different dealer.
are ya kiddin me???
Old 10-25-2009, 03:09 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Providing the rearend has been absolutely, positively ruled out, then I'd be looking at the front suspension. A-arms, swaybar links, pitman linkage. It seems that when the car has "settled" on the suspension, it makes "clicks." Or, somebody put marbles in your hubcaps!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
I thought I read someplace that if you have to take your ride back to the dealer
to fix the same problem 3 times under warranty
then your car is classified as a lemon.
Which means your due a new car.

I Lemon lawed a 1996 Camaro and it is a good deal, you get all your money back, except what you paid toward the principal on the loan.

you need to contact the GM 800 number and set up a complaint then set up a lemon law action through the BBB. The explanation on how to do this in in your owner's manual.

Under the program you will have to give them one more chance.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Woody
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
First St Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by lstorm2003
Unfourtunatly the car has already been lemoned. It was in the shop 6 months ago for 68 days for a transmission problem that the dealer would make worse each time they tried to fix it.

Mind you, I don't actually believe in lemon cars, only lemon mechanics. They did ulimately fix the transmission issue by replacing it with a brand new unit. But it took me getting a lawyer and going through the lemon process (we settled the case for cash).

The problem is that GM wants to let these dealers try and fix problems which they don't have the skills to fix.

How many trips in for service.. how many days was the car out of service?? If either fits, open another lemon case, and this time insist on the buy back. I'm not sure on the law, but just because you settled one claim, doesn't mean you can't make a claim for a different issue.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:09 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, spray some Armor-All or 303 Protectant in the wheel flange to tire joint.....we had a car one time that made an odd noise and this solved it.

Last edited by MachAll 2005; 10-25-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:59 AM
lstorm2003
Racer

Ok - Update dropped it back off at the dealer this morning at 9AM. The service writer said he was 'shocked' that I was back with the same problem. I laughed and told him I wasn't lol...

So now I'm driving a Buick SUV. I asked the rental lady if she had a car. She said no, but once I drive the Encalave I'll never want to give it back. I told her I'm a car guy. She said yeah, but this thing is GREAT and I'll LOVE it! Some people just don't get it ... haha

Will let you know what the dealer comes up with today...
Old 10-26-2009, 01:37 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

hard to say without driving your car but here is where i would start as a tech. I would drive the car with you in it to make sure we are speeking to the same thing. Alot of times guys will hear a noise you dont or dont hear any noises and assume you are talking about something they have dealt with in the past.
For me I really dont it is a wheel bearing issue. They just really dont go bad that often and when they do its normally (except for the rear vette ones that were designed wrong from the start not taking into consideration the added weight of a trans and rear end back there but thats anither story) and when they do the ywhine more often then click. and for more then one to go bad like you had is highly impractical for me to believe.
The noise if on turns I think would be the rack either binding internally or possible a lower ball joint. thats my take for what its worth.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:37 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CORVETTE2009
I read your thread and tried to look at it with some logic; here goes.

Whenever they replaced the bearings the problem went away. That means the noise had to be related to the bearings or something else that the mechanics loosened, removed, etc. when they replaced the bearings. Since it keeps coming back, is there something that keeps damaging the bearings? The spindle? The wheel? Suspension part? Bottom line, I'd take it back and start talking about the Federal Lemon Law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act). Look it up; seems to cover your situation. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:50 PM
GM-4-LIFE
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

My 2009 CTS-V has the same problem and GM can't fix it. A lot of the 2009 CTS-Vs have the same issue with the wheels clicking on full lock turns.

We all think it is a wheel issue on the CTS-V and it could be on your car as well. I had the painted silver wheels on my car and GM even replaced all of the wheels with the polished factory wheels and the problem still came back. I think there is a flaw in the wheel design where it mounts to the rotors.

Good luck. I have already hired an attorney to get GM to take my CTS-V back. In this calendar year, my car has been in service for 60 days and California lemon law states that if the problem can't be fixed and/or the car is in the shop for at least 30 days, the manufacturer should deem it a lemon and take the car back.

Last edited by GM-4-LIFE; 10-26-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:37 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by lstorm2003
Ok - Update dropped it back off at the dealer this morning at 9AM. The service writer said he was 'shocked' that I was back with the same problem. I laughed and told him I wasn't lol...

So now I'm driving a Buick SUV. I asked the rental lady if she had a car. She said no, but once I drive the Encalave I'll never want to give it back. I told her I'm a car guy. She said yeah, but this thing is GREAT and I'll LOVE it! Some people just don't get it ... haha

Will let you know what the dealer comes up with today...
Any update?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:24 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Mike Yeager@Eastcoast Performance
Dont give up... Ask to speak with the District Area Warranty Division Supervisior...givem hell...
I've been with GM for almost 10 years and I have never heard of that position in the chain of command.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:43 PM
vette4lyn
Drifting

Received 664 Likes on 522 Posts

Hey, lstorm2003,

Our 08 Z51 manual 6 speed does EXACTLY the same thing!!! You took your car in Monday to get it re diagnosed by the dealer. Today is Wednesday... Please update us on what you have heard!!!

A lot of us have the same issue and we would like to know what you found out this week.

Vette4lyn
Old 10-28-2009, 11:22 PM
kev1n
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed to this thread to see what the resolution is good luck storm!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 PM
0Mike Yeager@Eastcoast Performance
Former Vendor

Mike Yeager@Eastcoast Performance's Avatar

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I've been with GM for almost 10 years and I have never heard of that position in the chain of command.
Yuno some people dont ever get it...!!!

Whats your position with GM Mr.RichieRichZ06..??

Get notified of new replies

To Dealers can't fix my car! What now??

Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would have also just tried lifting the car (unloading the suspension) and setting it back down to see if that made the noise go away for a while.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep going back and take up the issue with the Regional Manager/Area Supervisor.

Red Cell.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

They need to do a little "shotgun troubleshooting". They should replace any part that could be related to the problem and be done with it. You've taken it in too many times for them to keep piddling around.

Quick Reply: Dealers can't fix my car! What now??