C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Map light bulb removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:40 PM
C6 CRZN
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a small zip tie, put a towel over the console to help catch the bulb when it pops out. Also keep the doors closed and you don't need to worry about the bulb being hot. Did both of mine in about 5 minutes.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:02 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by LucaBrasi
Old 04-25-2015, 12:48 AM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So I tried...
Duct tape
Doublesided 3M tape
Dental Floss
Needlenose Pliers
Tweasers
Toothpicks and super glue

And I still broke both bulbs...
Cleaning up the broken glass right now..

I'm new to Corvettes so hopefully this isn't an indication on how hard the rest of the car is to work on.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:58 AM
whitehooptie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used duct tape to wrap the bulb so I could grip it with pliers. I propped the door open until the lights went out and did it then.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:07 AM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

I used to work on equipment that had hundreds of small bulbs that often burned out. They had to be replaced without shutting off power so you couldn’t risk breaking a bad bulb and tripping a circuit breaker.
We used a tool that was basically two 1“ pieces of different diameter vinyl tubing at each end of a solid plastic tube. The two sizes were for pulling different size bulbs.

It’s been years since I had one of those tools so I use a piece of vinyl tubing (5/16”, I think). Just slip it over the bulb and it pulls the bulb right out. You can use it to insert the replacement bulb too. Very simple.

Here’s another possibility but I have no idea if it’s any good:
http://www.amazon.com/Alden-9220P-Ease-out-Broken-Remover/dp/B003NSBVNQ"]Alden 9220P Ease-out Broken Light Bulb Remover 2 Piece Set - Incandescent Bulbs - Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Alden-9220P-Ease-out-Broken-Remover/dp/B003NSBVNQ"]Alden 9220P Ease-out Broken Light Bulb Remover 2 Piece Set - Incandescent Bulbs - Amazon.com
Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Has anyone used the string of LED lights to outline their headlights on the C-6?
Old 04-28-2015, 04:23 PM
cforcht
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Has anyone used the string of LED lights to outline their headlights on the C-6?
I saw a C6 Z06 last year at our local car show that had a string of the LED lights under the headlights. he didnt have them on but they were on there.

oh and you might have guessed I was looking for the magic bullet for getting those PITA map lights out. used the double sided tape and forceps method. still had to dink with them a bit but finally get them out.

Last edited by cforcht; 04-28-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:40 PM
Khalid_1
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi everyone,

Here is my contribution.
After suffering for ages trying to pull the bulb with my fingers and also placing a piece of duct tape on the bulb so that I can use a narrow plier to pull the bulb all failed and I did not want to break the bulb, so I tried to tie a piece of vinyl line (the ones used to warp gift boxes and using a tweezer to push the line deep inside the grove and then tying the line and then just pulling the line from both ends towards you, it will come easily like a tooth. Earlier, I tried tooth floss lines but it was not strong enough.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
LS WON (01-01-2018)
Old 08-21-2023, 08:17 PM
JD Daniel
4th Gear

Default I Screwed Up!

Didn’t look at the “duct tape for C6 map light removal” u til it was too late!! Broke the passenger side bulb.

And even worse…

While I was trying to “dig out the remains” of the bulb, I got a spark and now my other map light and footwell lights don’t work.

All I can pray is I blew a fuse!?! Thoughts?

I used the duct tape trick to get the driver side bulb out after 5-6 tries

BTW - brand new C6 owner. 2006 model.
Old 08-21-2023, 08:39 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JD Daniel
Didn’t look at the “duct tape for C6 map light removal” u til it was too late!! Broke the passenger side bulb.

And even worse…

While I was trying to “dig out the remains” of the bulb, I got a spark and now my other map light and footwell lights don’t work.

All I can pray is I blew a fuse!?! Thoughts?

I used the duct tape trick to get the driver side bulb out after 5-6 tries

BTW - brand new C6 owner. 2006 model.
The first time out I was fortunate to remove those map lights bulbs without using anything. The second time when I got super brighter and higher quality bulbs the installer I bought them from did the install. I have heard some people have tried dental floss.
Old 08-21-2023, 08:52 PM
JD Daniel
4th Gear

Default Too Late

Originally Posted by LS WON
The first time out I was fortunate to remove those map lights bulbs without using anything. The second time when I got super brighter and higher quality bulbs the installer I bought them from did the install. I have heard some people have tried dental floss.
Thanks, however it is too late…

I got one out but the other is broken and while trying to get it out I think I blew a fuse (as I got a spark when digging with my needle nosed pliers).

saw someone who said to get a pick set to get a get the remains out. Hopefully it will work.

then I’ll figure out which fuse is blown. Fingers crossed.
LS WON (08-21-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 09:23 PM
Speed07
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

I too broke a bulb when I did this and blew the fuse trying to get it out. Got mad, said a few choice words, and removed the mirror to finish the job.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:11 PM
JD Daniel
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Speed07
I too broke a bulb when I did this and blew the fuse trying to get it out. Got mad, said a few choice words, and removed the mirror to finish the job.
Hate to hear that but glad I’m not alone. Corvette “newbie” here but I am so glad already I found this forum. 1. I saw a post with the “duct tape” trick, which worked well on the other bulb. & 2. I saw a post where someone used a “pick” and got the glass shards out. I did that for the second one and got it out and got the new LED bulb installed.

And fortunately, it was only a fuse and once I replaced that fuse, behold, “let their be light!” LoL
LS WON (08-23-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 04:40 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 829 Likes on 482 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Use the duct tape trick......worked well...
Old 08-24-2023, 06:14 PM
JD Daniel
4th Gear

Originally Posted by DrKrieger
Use the duct tape trick......worked well...
Thanks. It works/worked well on bulbs that ain’t shattered. LoL

My dilemma was I shattered one of them trying to get it out (BEFORE I read this thread).

Was able to get it out (with a pick) thanks to another thread I found here.

Last edited by JD Daniel; 08-24-2023 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Map light bulb removal