C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Glove Box Latch

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 02:12 PM
C6 Corvette - SRQ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I'm constantly pulling out the OM for info or for the registration/insurance for LEO's.

You don't need to pull the latch any farther or harder than the minimum needed to release the catch.
After replacing the latch on my '07 the first time I realized that I needed to be extremely gentle. I also moved everything from the glove box to the two storage areas in the back hatch area. That worked fine until a passenger said "What's in here?" and before I could say "DON'T" she handed me the broken piece of handle...

Didn't replace it --- but I do wonder what would happen if a suspicious LEO tells me to open it. I finally have figured out how to get it open.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:41 AM
muscl2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C6 Corvette - SRQ
After replacing the latch on my '07 the first time I realized that I needed to be extremely gentle. I also moved everything from the glove box to the two storage areas in the back hatch area. That worked fine until a passenger said "What's in here?" and before I could say "DON'T" she handed me the broken piece of handle...

Didn't replace it --- but I do wonder what would happen if a suspicious LEO tells me to open it. I finally have figured out how to get it open.
My problem is a little different, i.e., the spring inside the latch mechanism disconnected so that the door won't latch closed anymore. May sound like a stupid question, but wanted to confirm that replacing the entire latch mechanism would solve my problem, right? Also, I CAN change out the key cylinder? Assuming that's pretty straight forward once I get the latch out and look at it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 10-15-2014, 11:18 AM
mbsigman
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

So if the latch breaks and you get a new door assembly with the new latch installed, and you want to keep the original door but put the new latch in the original door.....what exactly is the procedure?

How do you swap out the lock cylinder?

Pix would be a great help!

Thanks
Old 10-15-2014, 01:32 PM
C6 Corvette - SRQ
Advanced

My experience was that I replaced only the latch, not the entire door of the glove box. It was quick and simple to do.

The plastic handle of my latch broke. Both the original latch and afterwards the replacement latch. The spring did NOT break so if I carefully insert my finger I can unlatch the glove box, but I have to be careful as it is quite sharp.

I now keep NOTHING in the glove box. Instead I use one of the storage areas in the rear hatch area to store the owner's manual (which I also have on my computer in a PDF file format). The radar detector that I detest is also stored back there too. I keep my registration and proof of insurance in the center console. Luckily it hasn't broken yet.

Not sure why you'd lock the glove box. In fact I didn't even realize it was lockable! I can only imaging how many latches I would have broken if I ever locked it...

Quick Reply: Broken Glove Box Latch