C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 02:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

attack blue air filter installed today. comments>

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 07:23 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
Nice write up and the new filter has got to be better than the stocker, why I ditched the setup when our 09 was new, mostly as I did not like the look of the silencer on the right side
I'm with ya.. I don't care for the look of it either.. but I had a very interesting conversation with an engineer at GM that used to be on the Corvette platform but is now on the new Camaro engine team... that unit does more than silence. The location, as you notice, is directly across from the maf sensor.. it helps to smooth out the irractic air flow pulses that come in around 2200 rpm and sometimes causes hesitation when wot is applied....... hence forth I kept mine on.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:03 PM
wbvette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now that you have had time with the Attack Blue would you give it a must buy rating?
Old 06-25-2010, 05:10 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to have to check this filter out myself. Sounds like it's worth the money.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:09 PM
BLACK 08
Burning Brakes

I just bought this filter too and NOT for any kind of power gains or better throttle response (which I don't believe anyway). I have 32,000 miles on my 08 and I have noticed a small drop in MPG so I checked my stock filter which is a little dirty. Instead of spending $90 on a stock replacement I wanted a filter I could clean and reuse. The Attack Blue looks like a quality piece and if Ken put it in his car I'm sure the quality is there.

I saw this thread (post #8), with dyno graphs, which at first scared me away from this filter because it looks like there is a significant drop in torque in the mid-range. I could care less about that small spike at the end which shows a little more HP gain but I didn't want to lose mid-range. Upon closer inspection if you look at the torque numbers on the right side of the graph they are different. One is in 10 lb ft increments and the other is in 5 lb ft so, side by side it looks like there is a big drop when there really isn't. If you take that into consideration then they are both really close throughout the run.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...oductions.html

So in the end it looks like a really good reusable filter.

And Ken the better throttle response is from that last coat of Zaino you put on !!! I'm sure it slips through the air better.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I'm gonna rain of this love fest. I'd buy a used car that was driven in the rain, that used the DIC to determine when to change the oil and that sat out in the weather.

But I'd never buy a used car that used one of these supposed "high flow, low restriction" air filters. I'm amazed that the people that are so concerned about every aspect of their cars could be bamboozled into buying an air filter that obviously has poorer filtration properties than the stock unit and for an "advertised" gain of only 4 horsepower.

Anyone that says they can feel 4 horsepower is delusional. (Wish I could find a better word.)

What do they advertise about filtration efficiency? They say: "Meets & exceeds all ISO 5011 SAE testing." Does anyone know what that means? ISO 5011 test specs have no pass or fail criteria. The spec only defines a standard test procedure and how to report the test results. There is no criteria that a filter can MEET or EXCEED. You will never see that test data. And you will never find a comparison between the stock filter and these units because if you did you wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Please keep telling us who are using these inefficient air filters so people with more diligence can avoid them on the used car market. You may not suffer any of the consequences of poor air filtration if you only drive the car on weekends and never drive in dusty environments but future owners will.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:47 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I noticed that the test results don't mention anything below 2100 rpm on the stock LS3 and below 2500 rpm for the AB. That makes me wonder a bit on what output is below those numbers. I clean out my stock filter every 6 months or so and probably will just call Gene or Partstaxi when it is time to replace it.

I also agree that if someone notices 4hp in a 400 + hp car they are probably to sensitive. If anything it is the mental game of that you want to think there is an increase because you just paid decent bucks for it and some filters make the intake sound louder thus tricking your mind.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:59 PM
MP35N
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock does not suck

The charts do not lie. The stock style filters flow just as well as the attack blue. I believe the "toilet paper roll" is effective because it straightens out the air flow which results in less drag down the line.

Because mine is a daily driver, at about 100 miles per day, I'd rather not mess with having to clean my filter every month or two. I've had K&N 's before and can not believe that they can reliably and consistently be as clean as the dry style filters. That is why my vote is for the stock ZR1 replacement.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:12 PM
wbvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I'm gonna rain of this love fest. I'd buy a used car that was driven in the rain, that used the DIC to determine when to change the oil and that sat out in the weather.

But I'd never buy a used car that used one of these supposed "high flow, low restriction" air filters. I'm amazed that the people that are so concerned about every aspect of their cars could be bamboozled into buying an air filter that obviously has poorer filtration properties than the stock unit and for an "advertised" gain of only 4 horsepower.

Anyone that says they can feel 4 horsepower is delusional. (Wish I could find a better word.)

What do they advertise about filtration efficiency? They say: "Meets & exceeds all ISO 5011 SAE testing." Does anyone know what that means? ISO 5011 test specs have no pass or fail criteria. The spec only defines a standard test procedure and how to report the test results. There is no criteria that a filter can MEET or EXCEED. You will never see that test data. And you will never find a comparison between the stock filter and these units because if you did you wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Please keep telling us who are using these inefficient air filters so people with more diligence can avoid them on the used car market. You may not suffer any of the consequences of poor air filtration if you only drive the car on weekends and never drive in dusty environments but future owners will.
the reason I was more interested in it was that it can be cleaned. The performance part was just icing on the cake(assuming there is any performance enhancement)

so would you just not recomend any reusable air filter? Or is it just the ab that isnt up to standards?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:22 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

we agree to disagree. on several accounts. for one, i will state I dont feel any hp gain, but i do in throttle response. and ive been toying with muscle cars since my first one i bought new, in 1967. up until this filter, i have replaced every stock filter on every car i have owned through the years, along with ATV's, and motorcycles, with K&N. Not only did it save money, it performed pefectly. All those cars and toys went to second owners, whom, to my knowledge, and i stayed in touch with several, and am in touch to this day with several, never experienced a problem due to "dirty air". And the last 4 cars used MAF sensors. This has been an aftermarket industry practice for many many years saving the enthusiast a lot of money in lieu of O.E. air filters, as long as they take the time to clean and re oil these units as instructed.......which, most do, because they are "enthusiasts". A close inspection of these units will reveal that the engineering is there to provide the proper air filtration, which, the oil adds greatly to.

Every one is in tilted to an opinion, and I am not bashing your's. Im just stating mine from many years of experience, not only with my cars, but having been in multiple car enthusiasts clubs...their cars too.

peace.
The following users liked this post:
Richard G. (04-24-2019)
Old 06-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Originally Posted by wbvette
the reason I was more interested in it was that it can be cleaned. The performance part was just icing on the cake(assuming there is any performance enhancement)

so would you just not recomend any reusable air filter? Or is it just the ab that isnt up to standards?
You buy a $50K plus car and you worry about the cost of an air filter. The stock filter is good for 50K miles and provides better filtration than any "cleanable" filter. A 4 hp increase is a joke.

And to wolfdogs, you are right that everyone is entitled to their opinion but I will argue that you are not entitled to your own facts. And the fact is that these cleanable filters provide at most an insignificant increase in horsepower at the expense of poorer air filtration. That's not an opinion.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 06-25-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:06 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know you guys wont believe me... but here is what happened to me... Before I go any further, I just finished dinner and had a GREAT BOTTLE OF MERLOT RED WINE... ok back to the Blue Air Filter I installed it, & lo & behold my car felt like it was a ZR1 !.. I never thought just an air filter could make my 400 HP car feel & run like a 638 HP car..

Well as I was driving it felt a LOT more responsive (SOP) but as I drove by my buddies house he called me on my cell phone and said "John you won't believe this.. but when you went past my house (app 45 mph) all 4 of your wheels were app 6"-8" off the ground..

Dayummmm That BLUE FILTER is Amazing ! It had my car driving 6" off the ground.. ..what power, what performance, what a deal, what RESPONSE...

Of course I immediately went to my local dealership & bought 2 more BLUE FILTERS and now I'm driving 18" off the ground... another great benefit is I get NO TIRE WEAR I can leave my Supercar tires on , & they will never wear out, and they are smoother riding, and are very quiet!!

I also found out if I turn off the motor, the car will coast app 3-4 miles (no wheel friction or resistance, its just like "Flying"

Anyway I'm gonna get another for my wifes Audi with 4 wheel drive it should be fantastic driving 10" over any snow I may encounter this winter...

Oh speaking of snow or rain.. it started to rain but the drops never touched my car, the BLUE FILTER took care of that & filtered the rain also...

Its a GREAT product, & I highly recommend it.. I also Highly recommend Some good RED MERLOT WINE !
Old 06-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MP35N
The charts do not lie. The stock style filters flow just as well as the attack blue. I believe the "toilet paper roll" is effective because it straightens out the air flow which results in less drag down the line.

Because mine is a daily driver, at about 100 miles per day, I'd rather not mess with having to clean my filter every month or two. I've had K&N 's before and can not believe that they can reliably and consistently be as clean as the dry style filters. That is why my vote is for the stock ZR1 replacement.
This is all pretty interesting.
So, the ZR1 element fits the stock LS3 housing? If so, Interesting.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:35 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee
Mine fits nice and tight also, but not like the OEM filter. Here is a pic by C6NRED his looks like my fit.

Darn! I was going to post that!!!!
Good thing I read all of these threads!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:14 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,070 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C6NRED
Darn! I was going to post that!!!!
Good thing I read all of these threads!!!
So this time I was one step ahead of you.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:15 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

yall remember:

all the aftermarket CAI systems, and including mods done to cars by Callaway, Lingenfelhter, SLP Engineering, Saleen, Hendricks, etc..........use the same filtering technology as the attack blue filter.

There is something to be said about that.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jpee
I know you guys wont believe me... but here is what happened to me... Before I go any further, I just finished dinner and had a GREAT BOTTLE OF MERLOT RED WINE... ok back to the Blue Air Filter I installed it, & lo & behold my car felt like it was a ZR1 !.. I never thought just an air filter could make my 400 HP car feel & run like a 638 HP car..

Well as I was driving it felt a LOT more responsive (SOP) but as I drove by my buddies house he called me on my cell phone and said "John you won't believe this.. but when you went past my house (app 45 mph) all 4 of your wheels were app 6"-8" off the ground..

Dayummmm That BLUE FILTER is Amazing ! It had my car driving 6" off the ground.. ..what power, what performance, what a deal, what RESPONSE...

Of course I immediately went to my local dealership & bought 2 more BLUE FILTERS and now I'm driving 18" off the ground... another great benefit is I get NO TIRE WEAR I can leave my Supercar tires on , & they will never wear out, and they are smoother riding, and are very quiet!!

I also found out if I turn off the motor, the car will coast app 3-4 miles (no wheel friction or resistance, its just like "Flying"

Anyway I'm gonna get another for my wifes Audi with 4 wheel drive it should be fantastic driving 10" over any snow I may encounter this winter...

Oh speaking of snow or rain.. it started to rain but the drops never touched my car, the BLUE FILTER took care of that & filtered the rain also...

Its a GREAT product, & I highly recommend it.. I also Highly recommend Some good RED MERLOT WINE !

bet that arthritis is dominant now!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Even if there we just a 5% chance that these filters allow more dirt into the engine, I wouldn't take that risk for 4 horsepower. There's a reason they say "Meets & exceeds all ISO 5011 SAE testing" as if that test spec had some pass/fail criteria. It does not. That statement alone should warn you that it's an advertising gimmick to imply that it actually passed some test.

Get notified of new replies

To attack blue air filter installed today. comments>

Old 06-25-2010, 11:47 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

I replaced the filters in my LS3 and LS7 with the attack blue.The only thing I noticed was a charge of $260 on my discover card!B.T.W.the stock filter is NOT crap as some of you have said.It may look like a roll of paper towels but that thing flows a hell of alotta air.I say save your money.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:31 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Even if there we just a 5% chance that these filters allow more dirt into the engine, I wouldn't take that risk for 4 horsepower.
Originally Posted by rob62
B.T.W.the stock filter is NOT crap as some of you have said.It may look like a roll of paper towels but that thing flows a hell of alotta air.I say save your money.
I'd much prefer the excellent filtration the OEM filter provides, but my lust for power has forced me into a Vararam that uses the same old school technology that every other "performance" aftermarket system does.

The Vette Air scoop heads the right direction, but just doesn't go the distance like the Vararam.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:41 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
yall remember:

all the aftermarket CAI systems, and including mods done to cars by Callaway, Lingenfelhter, SLP Engineering, Saleen, Hendricks, etc..........use the same filtering technology as the attack blue filter.

There is something to be said about that.
Funny, no one says a word about all the high dollar air intakes that use the same filter tech (and rarely gain any power w/o a tune), but when someone comes out with a drop in all of a sudden it's some huge rip off.

I put the blue filter in my 08' and it did feel a little sharper. Of course, the engine was completely worn out by the time I drove down the street, but it was worth it.

Quick Reply: attack blue air filter installed today. comments>